Lenovo G510 Boot issue(s)

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
I have a Lenovo G510 (i5 4200m, 8GB Ram, 500GB HDD)
Currently it's dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 with GPT and UEFI.
There's this issue of the laptop not booting up(or it looks like it)/Not showing any screen since a few months.
It's not that it doesn't start ever. It does start up after a couple of tries of
a. Closing the lid and opening it again (I have a hunch it's the magnetic sensor which senses lid closure status that's malfunctioning) and pressing the power button
b. Using the Lenovo reset? button. (I forgot what it's called, the small one which gets to the hardware level recovery mode with options to get to BIOS/normal boot, etc).
It takes up to 10 or so tries sometimes and enough that I need to solve it and not ignore it like I've been doing since months now.
Another issue is a load of BSODs, which mostly occur when I physically touch/move the laptop. Not that it gives a BSOD every time I move it, but it occurs mostly when I do, and very occasionally when I don't.
BSOD errors include: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with ntoskrnl.exe (0x0000000a)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with ntoskrnl.exe and storahci.sys(0x0000001e)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with ntoskrnl.exe(0x1000001e)
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with ntoskrnl.exe(0x0000003b)
Please let me know if any other diagnostics need to be run.
Earthing here is not good/non-existent. I'm trying to get it fixed.

TLDR: So, the laptop works, but it can take up to half an hour for me to try almost everything to get it started. (about 30 per cent times, it just starts in the first push.)
Once started, moving it around can lead to BSODs.

The issue(s) are so weird, I couldn't think of a good title for the post.

I was meanwhile thinking of adding an SSD for a bit of better usability. The laptop has issues, but is still in daily use.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
See the raw value of start/stop count parameter which is 30AA7 in hexadecimal or 199335 in decimal number system(go to function--advanced feature--raw values--select 10[DEC] ). It seems your hdd is dying so take backup of all important data as soon as possible & get a new ssd(but you will be buying it costly as ssd prices have increased by 40-60% since the beginning of this year).

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
See the raw value of start/stop count parameter which is 30AA7 in hexadecimal or 199335 in decimal number system(go to function--advanced feature--raw values--select 10[DEC] ). It seems your hdd is dying so take backup of all important data as soon as possible & get a new ssd(but you will be buying it costly as ssd prices have increased by 40-60% since the beginning of this year).

okay. I'll order an SSD then. Vedant Computer's website has 500GB Crucial MX500 for 5750. were prices better before? Thanks man, I would have just kept using it like this. Even Crystal disk mark says health is fine. I have important stuff backed up always. So, not much issue.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
okay. I'll order an SSD then. Vedant Computer's website has 500GB Crucial MX500 for 5750. were prices better before? Thanks man, I would have just kept using it like this. Even Crystal disk mark says health is fine. I have important stuff backed up always. So, not much issue.
Yes, 250gb crucial MX500 used to be available for 3.1k & MX500 500gb used to be available for 4.8k in dec last year. In fact for this same price you could have got WD SN550 NVMe 512gb ssd in Dec which is the best budget NVMe ssd & is much faster than MX500 though for typical tasks you won't notice the difference.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Yes, 250gb crucial MX500 used to be available for 3.1k & MX500 500gb used to be available for 4.8k in dec last year. In fact for this same price you could have got WD SN550 NVMe 512gb ssd in Dec which is the best budget NVMe ssd & is much faster than MX500 though for typical tasks you won't notice the difference.

okay. so, about 20percent price increase. 250 GB is available for similar prices though.
Moreover, the laptop is 7 years old, so NVMe is out of the question :D
Emailed vedant if they're shipping. Their T&C says they aren't shipping, rest of the website says just late deliveries.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even Crystal disk mark says health is fine. I have important stuff backed up always. So, not much issue.
That is because this parameter(start/stop count) has no failure value(see its threshold value is 0). This factor represents how many times your hdd has started & stopped & large values of this parameter combined with issues you are facing(my old laptop had a WD hdd which actually reached a value of ~500000 & it was still working fine but I replaced it nevertheless) means the mechanical subsystem(rotating heads & platters) of hdd has undergone a lot of stress & is failing. Actually you are supposed to disable any power saving feature of hdd to stop the parking of heads every few seconds so that your start/stop count don't increase so much.e.g.my laptop hdd has 29000 hours(yours has 22607 hours) but my hdd start/stop count is only 631.

okay. so, about 20percent price increase. 250 GB is available for similar prices though.
Moreover, the laptop is 7 years old, so NVMe is out of the question :D
Emailed vedant if they're shipping. Their T&C says they aren't shipping, rest of the website says just late deliveries.
I think their pricing is wrong/not updated. See this site as it is considered as benchmark for ssd prices in india(it is sister site of primeabgb in case you don't know).
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/crucial-mx500-2-5-250gb-sata-iii-3d-ssd-ct250mx500ssd1/

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
That is because this parameter(start/stop count) has no failure value(see its threshold value is 0).
This makes sense. I was anyway thinking of shifting boot and some other files to an SSD. I'll confirm once I shift to one.

I think their pricing is wrong/not updated
I hope they don't update now :D all others have it above 6.1k MD at 6.1, so next choice is MD in case vedant decides to update to 6.3k.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Already ordered MX500. It has DRAM cache too. BX doesn't have that. And, 5year warranty.

BTW, PSA means public service announcement, right?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
MX500 is better but only if you plan to keep using this laptop for 5 more years. New laptops, even some entry level ones, have ssd as primary drive. :)

Yes, PSA means public service announcement.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
MX500 is better but only if you plan to keep using this laptop for 5 more years. New laptops, even some entry level ones, have ssd as primary drive. :)

Yes, PSA means public service announcement.
The warranty will continue with it being shifted to another laptop/desktop, right?

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Actually, Received the SSD already :D. Going to dual boot. Ubuntu 16.04 + Win 10. I'll update about the issue status once I swap.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
It wassn't the HDD. The issue persists with new SSD.
I was either way thinking of getting an SSD. So that purchase is fine.

The windows is booting, it seems. The webcam light turns on for a second or two. As it happened before as well. (Similarly with the HDD.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wassn't the HDD. The issue persists with new SSD.

The windows is booting, it seems. The webcam light turns on for a second or two. As it happened before as well. (Similarly with the HDD.

Check with some live linux usb. As for ssd, it was time to get it anyways, you can also use it in your next pc build.

OP
M

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Check with some live linux usb. As for ssd, it was time to get it anyways, you can also use it in your next pc build.
As in Ubuntu 16.04 is fine, right?
And do you think it's installation issue?
I didn't clone as I wanted to clean install since some time. It's a fresh install with media creation tool from MS website. I chose the USB option.

Downloading Ubuntu. Will try in live, as you said.
The laptop turned on after a few tries (about 10).
The power cycle count on the new SSD is 2D already.
Should I be concerned?

Top Bottom