Leaked data of Dominos India users now available on search engine created by hacker

TheSloth

The Slowest One
It's just the matter of time. You don't need to give them ideas. Security of most companies are this bad. Especially in India.
You are right. Except the big ones like Amazon, Google ... I really doubt other companies are investing in data security at this point. Hope this Dominos case becomes an example and everyone bolster their security otherwise as you said, its just a matter of time

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What we need is some kind of compliance certification system for any eCommerce company in India. Given the frequency of data leaks we really need something like this.

Make it mandatory for any company that requires to store user's personal information to comply with a set of standards for data security and make them undertake frequent system audits to ensure that they remain certified. If a company is not certified then they should mention a disclaimer in their site notifying the public to deal with them at their own risk.

Government needs to step in and make some regulation like this to prevent (or reduce) such leaks in the future.

D

Deleted member 345628

PayTM Bank UPI Servers work like charm . I haven't found any better alternative to it . Why you don't trust PayTM ? Just Curious !

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I checked few numbers of my friends and its there. But no CC info which is good.
Only thing exposed is:
Email
Order date
Price
Long/Lat
Address

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I am getting this strong feeling that this is done by some skid, and the guy doesnt have any copy of data, he has just linked his search engine to database of dominoes through some backdoor or security flaw in there. Due to which credit card info is not there, but only phone numbers etc.

OrrBitt

Broken In
Is it okay if I had earlier saved debit card info (not credit card) in the app? I've removed it now, but when the leak took place, it would have been in there.

khalil1210

In the zone
You can disable international transactions and enable it when required.

You can set the maximum transaction amount to ₹100 or ₹500

Some banks allow to temporarily disable the debit card. You can disable it and use only when required.

OrrBitt

Broken In
I've already disabled transactions for the card.

Disabling and re- enabling every time one wants to use it isn't viable, as is setting too low a limit.

Do credit and debit cards carry the same risk?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any services that provide burner phone numbers?
Late reply but anyway. There is no legally valid burner number service in India as per current laws & rules, you can still use burner numbers from international services but the number you get won't be in Indian mobile number format. As for services like Doosra, you will have to do full video kyc so not much point compared to getting another sim just for unessential/shopping/food ordering sites(why make your full kyc details available at one more place compared to mobile service providers which already have your details).
@RumbaMon19

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
A burner debit card is even more important. A zero balance account with minimal amount of money
You can create as many virtual disposable debit cards as you want from netbanking of many major banks like sbi, hdfc, icici etc or you can simply use a relodable prepaid card like hdfc payzapp or icici pockets. However there isn't much point compared to just getting a zero balance acc with regular virtual debit card from kotak 811 or paytm(digibank now has 5k min avg balance requirement). Also it is advisable to directly use your card only on trusted sites(security wise). e.g. amazon/flipkart security can be considered as good & sometimes even better than many small Indian banks while those like big basket/grofers/dominos/zomato/swiggy etc I always doubt & hence never used my card directly on any of these sites.

Also credit cards are always more secure than debit cards because of their inbuilt fraud prevention system. In case of credit card transaction it is not like debit card where money is instantly debited from account, instead it is like the merchant gets a guarantee from bank which issued the credit card that it will pay the amount later(usually 2-3 days). Merchant has to submit order details to credit card company which then pay to merchant after verifying payment details(hence the process takes a few days because credit card companies are basically repaying loans on behalf of their customers). If you notice any fraud transaction then immediately call credit card company & the company will put the payment to merchant on hold until it investigate. Another thing to consider is that in case of debit card fraud it is your personal money which is at stake while in case of credit card fraud it is bank's own money which is at stake so no need to say which will be taken up on priority & with more sincerity by a bank.

@Desmond David @RumbaMon19 @TheSloth @OrrBitt @$hadow @Vyom

Top Bottom