Laptop under Rs 35k for coding, to run Ubuntu 16+

nyssa_nyssa

Right off the assembly line
1) What is your budget?

<=INR 35k

2) What size & weight consideration would you prefer?

Anything between 14"-15.6"
<= 2 kilograms

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Light coding
Browsing net

I use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Might upgrade to 18 soon.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

i3 (5th generation or higher)
>=4GB RAM (if 4GB, then a free RAM slot for expansion would be great!)

Compulsory:
HDMI port
>=2 USB ports
Wi-fi
LAN port

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I am highly inclined towards Lenovo, but anything that is sturdily built and can last long is fine.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

Anti-glare screen is a must.
Extended battery backup (>=5 hours)
I plan to buy in-person from Kolkata (shop recos most welcome!) / online from the brand's official website.

I am almost about this, but want your opinions before I take the plunge: Lenovo V130 (14) | SMB laptop with modern style | Lenovo India

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lenovo Ideapad 330 (14, Intel) | Durable, Easy-to-Use 14” laptop | Lenovo India
upload_2018-11-20_17-7-24.png

Better get this,it has latest 8th gen processor & pre-loaded ubuntu plus Dell has the best after sales service in India for laptops(do read the reviews though & better check it personally in a dell store first).
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07H7LBXL...e83-4348-8fb4-b68c26c417bb&pf_rd_i=1375424031

Another option but read the 1st review on page which is quite lengthy & detailed & basically recommend to stay away from lenovo laptops if ever after sales service is required.
*www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad-330S-...e=UTF8&qid=1542714721&sr=1-3&keywords=8th+gen

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I would advice you take a laptop with 1080p with IPS panel (preferrably matte coating).
1366x768 laptops should be phased out completely. Even in the 30k segment.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would advice you take a laptop with 1080p with IPS panel (preferrably matte coating).
Read the 1st/lengthiest review at lenovo link I posted above. Almost all IPS panels have backlight bleeding though it varies from almost not noticeable to serious distraction. Laptop IPS panels,especially in budget category,will most likely have the backlight bleeding issues that can not be ignored.

rdx_halo

In the zone
Read the 1st/lengthiest review at lenovo link I posted above. Almost all IPS panels have backlight bleeding though it varies from almost not noticeable to serious distraction. Laptop IPS panels,especially in budget category,will most likely have the backlight bleeding issues that can not be ignored.
So you are saying better go for TN panels ? Does HP laptops (HP 15 series) under 40k have IPS panes .
I have seen buyers have critised display quality of Lenovo 330 series.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TN panels are fine as long as you directly sit in front of screen & don't mind some artificial vivid colours(especially for your usage this matters even less).

Nothing in IPS from HP under 40k(or at least I couldn't find one) but this one here is probably the best option for the hardware it comes with(even a 50k laptop with hdd will only crawls with latest win 10 updates) but I strongly recommend getting it from asus authorized store only(do check it personally too just to confirm claims of IPS screen/backlit keyboard & how good it is) plus wait for some promotion offer(current Diwali offer from asus eneded on 20th nov else it was a very good one).
*www.amazon.in/Asus-S406UA-BM356T-B...rs&ie=UTF8&qid=1542788332&sr=1-6&keywords=ips

rdx_halo

In the zone
Asus Vivo Book 14 S406UA-BM356T is nodoubt a great model but 14 inch screen is a bummer. I mostly use Laptop for video watching purpose. A good screen is important. I think The dos version of HP 15 Core i5 8th gen 15.6-inch FHD Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/Sparkling Black /2.04 kg), 15q-ds0010TU *www.amazon.in/dp/B07DZKDXGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uNr9Bb1KZB8QD
is suitable.
What do you think ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asus Vivo Book 14 S406UA-BM356T is nodoubt a great model but 14 inch screen is a bummer. I mostly use Laptop for video watching purpose. A good screen is important. I think The dos version of HP 15 Core i5 8th gen 15.6-inch FHD Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/Sparkling Black /2.04 kg), 15q-ds0010TU *www.amazon.in/dp/B07DZKDXGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uNr9Bb1KZB8QD
is suitable.
What do you think ?

Check the reviews,seems like screen quality is not that good.
Amazon.in:Customer reviews: HP 15 Core i5 8th gen 15.6-inch FHD Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/Sparkling Black /2.04 kg), 15q-ds0010TU
Also make sure to get confirmation from authorized shop people before paying money that upgrading to ssd is allowed without voiding warranty because with hdd+win 10 combo forget about speed.It may even feel slower than your years old laptop/desktop.

Also it seems a similar model has m2 ssd slot which is good because that means you can use ssd+hdd simultaneously without replacing dvd drive with a hdd/ssd caddy.
*www.amazon.in/HP-15-6-inch-Laptop-...=UTF8&qid=1542790207&sr=1-40&keywords=8th+gen
Good laptop for the price, but...

I also found this,similar specs but definitely no m2 slot so the usual way of replacing hdd with ssd & use hdd as portable by using it with a cover(like orico transparent usb 3 on amazon).
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-VIVOBOOK-X507UA...=UTF8&qid=1542790207&sr=1-31&keywords=8th+gen

P.S. I would not recommend running win 10 home because it is very restricted with almost no way to block auto win 10 updates.Pro version is better in the sense that there are tools & methods available to block auto updates.(PM me for details about how to "upgrade from home to genuine Pro version" ;) ).

rdx_halo

In the zone
Check the reviews,seems like screen quality is not that good.
Amazon.in:Customer reviews: HP 15 Core i5 8th gen 15.6-inch FHD Laptop (8GB/1TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/Sparkling Black /2.04 kg), 15q-ds0010TU
Also make sure to get confirmation from authorized shop people before paying money that upgrading to ssd is allowed without voiding warranty because with hdd+win 10 combo forget about speed.It may even feel slower than your years old laptop/desktop.

Also it seems a similar model has m2 ssd slot which is good because that means you can use ssd+hdd simultaneously without replacing dvd drive with a hdd/ssd caddy.
*www.amazon.in/HP-15-6-inch-Laptop-...=UTF8&qid=1542790207&sr=1-40&keywords=8th+gen
Good laptop for the price, but...

I also found this,similar specs but definitely no m2 slot so the usual way of replacing hdd with ssd & use hdd as portable by using it with a cover(like orico transparent usb 3 on amazon).
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-VIVOBOOK-X507UA...=UTF8&qid=1542790207&sr=1-31&keywords=8th+gen

P.S. I would not recommend running win 10 home because it is very restricted with almost no way to block auto win 10 updates.Pro version is better in the sense that there are tools & methods available to block auto updates.(PM me for details about how to "upgrade from home to genuine Pro version" ;) ).
Thanks for your detailed answer. I will check them out in stores. From your answer it seems that Windows 10 is bit too heavy for i3 ( even 8th gen).
I have a noob question. I know that dedicated GPU is used for gaming and video encoding, but does Windows 10 visual style use discrete GPU if it is present in laptop ? Or will it use the integrated GPU only.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is not the processor but the hdd that makes things slow with win 10.e.g.i3(4th gen)+ssd+win10 is much faster than i3(8th gen)+hdd+win 10. Just get a 120gb ssd for 1800 from onlyssd.com(I recommend kingston A400).

Dedicated gpu will only be used for gfx intensive programs(like games),win 10 will use integrated graphics only as far as possible(latest browser versions of IE & edge do have gfx card hardware decoding support for online streaming videos).

Top Bottom