Laptop under 80k

sarthak

In the zone
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Rs.80000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Gaming, movies and other everyday use

4) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

HP Envy k203 tx

5) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP
b. Dislike: Dell

6) Anything else you would like to say?

My friend needs this laptop, budget is 80k max. Already rejected Lenovo Y50 due to the poor screen, and the HP Envy mentioned above is the only other viable option I could find. But it has an undervolted CPU, so looking for other options. Also please suggest shops in Bangalore. Cheaper options online are also welcome.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
That HP laptop has $hit GPU. DDR3 850M :facepalm:

Don't buy laptops with anything under DDR5 860M for this budget. They are not worth buying.

Ask your friend to import XOTIC PC | FORCE 16GC (29-029) w/ 860M (MSI GE60 ApachePro Barebones) if he didn't like Lenovo Y50. Base i5 version will cost 51k and around 65k if you add customs and shipping which can be avoided if an acquaintance brings it here.

Don't search for this one in India, you'll never find it as its a USA exclusive launch.

As for how to import it, follow these steps:

I haven't had got the chance to get a laptop from Xotic PC yet. But this is how I would do it.

1. First of all, configure it the way you want it from here:
XOTIC PC | FORCE 16GC (29-029) w/ 860M (MSI GE60 ApachePro Barebones)

2. Note down the discounted price and then proceed to live-chat or email with the support
3. Ask for further discounts and freebies if you may get any.
4. Ask them about shipping charges and custom duties and how to pay them.
5. Note everything as it'll be required for comparison later.
6. Now, take the price which you were offered in point no 3. and go to ppobox.com
7. Open the live-chat support and ask them same as in point no 4.
8. Note everything on a separate page for side by side comparison.
9. Chose whatever totals for cheaper and ask them about method of payment.
10. Pay them and wait for your laptop to arrive.

AGAIN DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN DDR5 860M

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
Don't buy laptops with anything under DDR5 860M for this budget. They are not worth buying.

Apart from Y50 I couldn't find any laptop which which has 860M in this budget.

Ask your friend to import XOTIC PC | FORCE 16GC (29-029) w/ 860M (MSI GE60 ApachePro Barebones) if he didn't like Lenovo Y50. Base i5 version will cost 51k and around 65k if you add customs and shipping which can be avoided if an acquaintance brings it here.

I have looked at XOTIC laptops before, they are very good config wise. But what about ASS ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Apart from Y50 I couldn't find any laptop which which has 860M in this budget.
Its because other OEMs are stupid/greedy enough to launch laptops with 850M for even as high as 100k like MSI GE60 2PG Apache

850M is not worth anything above 60k.

I have looked at XOTIC laptops before, they are very good config wise. But what about ASS ?

You're getting 860M in 51k and you still want ASS?

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
You're getting 860M in 51k and you still want ASS?

Neither me nor my friend has any relative in US, so it's gonna cost 65k including customs and shipping. Even if he could get it for 51k, that's a huge amount of money to put down on an imported gadget. Whether it's made in China or made in US, electronics are susceptible to faults, and any problems with this would mean 51k down the drain.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Neither me nor my friend has any relative in US, so it's gonna cost 65k including customs and shipping. Even if he could get it for 51k, that's a huge amount of money to put down on an imported gadget. Whether it's made in China or made in US, electronics are susceptible to faults, and any problems with this would mean 51k down the drain.

My Xotic PC Experience | NotebookReview

First XoticPC Experience | NotebookReview

XoticPC Experience (As I update) | NotebookReview

Custom Laptops, Gaming Notebooks, Custom Gaming Laptops | XOTIC PC

WHY XOTIC PC?

Our standards of excellence have given us the ability to provide 100% non-proprietary systems utilizing cutting edge technologies, derived directly from our manufacturing partners such as Intel, AMD, Microsoft, 3COM, NVIDIA, Creative, Matrox, ATI, Asus, Abit, Epson, and many others.
Delivering non-proprietary high end, high quality solutions requires much diligent work. To start, we only test the best of the best. New technology is not introduced unless it is thoroughly tested by our Research and Development Team. We place our manufacturing partners' latest breakthroughs and cutting edge components through rigorous testing. The results are computers manufactured with the finest technologies the world has to offer.
XOTIC PC will meticulously craft a high-performance system for you that will exceed all of your expectations. With the unrivaled build quality implemented into every system by XOTIC PC's highly trained integrators; you are assured of receiving a machine of the absolute finest quality. Every detail of an XOTIC PC system is carefully scrutinized and perfected though our QA testing, a revolutionary system integration and inspection process. During testing, your system undergoes a lengthy "burn-in" process, a rigorous quality control inspection, full optimization of the operating system, numerous benchmarks and more, all provided free of charge to ensure your XOTIC PC system operates at peak efficiency right out of the box. XOTIC PC provides a wide range of product offerings tailored for the varying demands of each customer.

Why do you suppose the laptop will start having problem by itself from day 1? I own a >7 year old Lenovo R61 and only reason it has survived so far is because of proper maintenance by myself. So, if your friend treats it as a laptop and not a piece of rug, it'll be problem free for 3-4 years minimum. As for minor software related issues, he'll have to deal with them himself. No OEM provides support for all software.

Last edited:
OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
Why do you suppose the laptop will start having problem by itself from day 1?

I don't suppose that, but it's certainly a possibility. Not day 1 perhaps, but even if there are problems a few months down the line, it would be a waste of money.

I own a >7 year old Lenovo R61 and only reason it has survived so far is because of proper maintenance by myself. So, if your friend treats it as a laptop and not a piece of rug, it'll be problem free for 3-4 years minimum.

I have subjected my HP dv6 to very heave use throughout the 3 years+ since I bought it, have dropped it TWICE from a good height, and still it's going strong. And I have seen people who do handle a laptop like a laptop and not "a piece of rug" having all kinds of issues in the first year of purchase itself. Ultimately it's your luck. I'm sure that xotic makes very durable laptops, but unfortunately it's a huge and expensive risk to take when buying a laptop hoping that it works well for at least 3 years. And btw one review does mention the guy having problems with sleep mode.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ If he doesn't trusts Xotic PC, better go with Lenovo Y50 despite the not so good screen and replace it with an IPS panel if required.
If any other OEM had 860M for 70-80k, I'd gladly recommend it.

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
I don't think so. but there's no harm in asking for a quote. :)

I have asked for a quote. Let's see what they say. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I got a call from Azom after about half an hour of asking for a quote. He took my requirements, but unfortunately the gaming model with lowest specs still costs 87k including taxes. So I guess my friend will go for Envy or Y50.
For anybody who's interested in Azom, they are also listed on Amazon. You can check the config here. They offered me this laptop without the SSD for 87k. It does look VFM to me, especially considering that the laptop is completely upgradable. They can upgrade anything on the laptop including the CPU and GPU the way you upgrade a desktop. The one above has a 870M but they also have options for 970M and 980M. Lastly they also offer pan-India doorstep replacement. If anyone wants a gaming laptop and has the budget, do give them a call.
And thanks for this suggestion [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION], though I cannot take it.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have asked for a quote. Let's see what they say. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I got a call from Azom after about half an hour of asking for a quote. He took my requirements, but unfortunately the gaming model with lowest specs still costs 87k including taxes. So I guess my friend will go for Envy or Y50.
For anybody who's interested in Azom, they are also listed on Amazon. You can check the config here. They offered me this laptop without the SSD for 87k. It does look VFM to me, especially considering that the laptop is completely upgradable. They can upgrade anything on the laptop including the CPU and GPU the way you upgrade a desktop. The one above has a 870M but they also have options for 970M and 980M. Lastly they also offer pan-India doorstep replacement. If anyone wants a gaming laptop and has the budget, do give them a call.
And thanks for this suggestion [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION], though I cannot take it.
870M for 87k :shock:

I'd take it in a flash. No other OEM has 870M for less than 140k.

But I recommend he doesn't get the Envy with that underpowered DDR3 850M for 80k. If he's getting it for 60k max, than its a good choice.

OP
S

sarthak

In the zone
870M for 87k :shock:

I'd take it in a flash. No other OEM has 870M for less than 140k.

But I recommend he doesn't get the Envy with that underpowered DDR3 850M for 80k. If he's getting it for 60k max, than its a good choice.

I would too, and my friend would, if budget permitted him. I am gonna start saving :p
The Envy is on flipkart for 74k. I have asked him to personally take a look at the screen of Y50 and go for Envy only if he really hates that screen.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I would too, and my friend would, if budget permitted him. I am gonna start saving :p
The Envy is on flipkart for 74k. I have asked him to personally take a look at the screen of Y50 and go for Envy only if he really hates that screen.

74k for ULV i7 and DDR3 850M :facepalm:
The person who decided this price would be stupid.
Should've been proper M i7 and DDR5 850M atleast as Y50 can be found for around 75k locally.

Top Bottom