Laptop Suggestion under 1L

Gauravchi

Journeyman
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
50k-1L

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer
  • Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
1. MS Excel
2. PowerPoint presentation
3. Internet browsing: like 5 windows with 10-20 tabs each, i.e., 50-100 web pages at a time
4. PowerBI/Tableau light usage

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

Nothing in mind. I was thinking of Mac M2 model. But maybe there would be better options with 12gen intel

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
No idea. After sales service should be good

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Looking for something future proof, slim and portable

HP aero 13 with Ryzen 7 at 78k.
www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-Micro-Edge-Graphics-13-be2048AU/dp/B0BXLQWLPC

Can you wait till 10 Oct? If so, wait.

Yes, I can wait a little. Any option with intel processor?
I ignore Intel for non-gaming/performance laptops because of lower power efficiency, hence lower battery life in general.

But many premium ultrabooks (usually 1L+) have only Intel CPUs & use very efficient panel to get high battery life (if they manage to get more than 7-8hrs). IMO no point in spending so much. Avoid Intel 11th gen because of very poor performance. The i7 1165G7 is weaker than R5 5600U.

Also avoid 8GB RAM laptops, unless it has a free expandable RAM slot.

www.amazon.in/LG-gram14-Inch-13thGen-i7-1340P-Anti-Glare/dp/B0C9DQC4YT
www.amazon.in/HP-i5-13-3-Multi-Touch-Graphics-bf0058TU/dp/B0B63XMN7Z
www.amazon.in/ASUS-Zenbook-i5-12500H-Fingerprint-UX5401ZA-KM541WS/dp/B0C5N4MM4M/
www.amazon.in/Lenovo-35-5cm-Backlit-Warranty-82WV005JIN/dp/B0C9HNZVTR

Check out Lenovo official website as well, they allow customising certain models & give 2 year extended warranty for 3k. Always check reviews of models you are considering.

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
Hi, Amazon GIS is approaching.
I am considering Mac M2 air 2022. As I am switching from Mac air 2015 model. But yet, open for Windows considering the fact that my key task would be MS Office and internet browsing. Also, MS Copilot seems promising, not sure what progress Apple is making in AI side.
Saying that, i5/i7 13 generation options from Dell or HP with 13" screen?

See, you have to take the call on macOS vs Windows.

I used mac air 2020 for 1.5 years till Jan 2023, I hated the OS & 8GB RAM as well. I do appreciate the stability of mac & its sleep functionality but many small things in the OS annoys me, some are just designed differently & some are just bad design.

I use Win10, which I will prefer anyday over macOS. Yet to give Win11 another try but even it had some missing features vs Win10, that's the reason I didn't upgrade.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
As someone who recently did some basics macOS tinkering on High Sierra & Monterey and experiments on Linux Mint & Manjaro, I'd say Windows 10 has been the most stable and easy OS I'd prefer to use, even when my media server is running Windows 11 (tiny11 TBH). My laptop is having a weird unfixable bug (Download error - 0x80070001) on both Windows 10 and 11 for more than a year now. My media server on the other hand, has not given me any issues so far.
Setting file defaults is a nightmare in Win 11.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
I just came back from Croma and Reliance Digital, wanted to check Dell XPS and MS Surface. Neither was on display. Didn’t find a good 13” slim and powerful system on display,, Mac air M2 was there, but not very inclined.
Any feedback on Surface?

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
regarding MacOS vs Windows, MacOS has been really stable, no virus, no errors, etc. however, hardware wise, expensive repairs and maintenance.

I just came back from Croma and Reliance Digital, wanted to check Dell XPS and MS Surface. Neither was on display. Didn’t find a good 13” slim and powerful system on display,, Mac air M2 was there, but not very inclined.
Any feedback on Surface?
I will say XPS 13 is good, except for its rubber like texture which is bad & price is too high.

Surface is again an expensive product which I feel isn't worth it.

My recommendation remains HP aero 13 for 13" option, else get a 14" laptop. Check during sale on 7th.

OP
G

Gauravchi

Journeyman
so MS Surface out of list? Amy other Windows laptop with Intel i5/i7 13 gen? Also, any Input on MacOS vs Win11 considering my heavy usage would be MS excel, ppt and browsing (50 tabs at a time)

so MS Surface out of list? Amy other Windows laptop with Intel i5/i7 13 gen? Also, any Input on MacOS vs Win11 considering my heavy usage would be MS excel, ppt and browsing (50 tabs at a time)
For 20-25 tabs on Chrome, I could observe the tabs just reloading after not using them for sometime or when laptop needs RAM they just get kicked out from 8GB RAM mac air. Even if mac OS is more optimised on RAM front vs Windows, there's so much you can do on 8GB.

As I said, Surface & XPS 13 are just overpriced. Look into Asus Zenbook 13, priced close to 1L.

Again, you have to take call on mac vs Windows. Do some research on your own regarding Intel options as well. Avoid Intel 11th gen, you will be an idiot if you opt for 11th gen i5/i7 now, too weak vs old Ryzen 4000/5000. 12th gen & 13th gen are very similar.

Top Bottom