Laptop suggestion (lightweight) Max 1 lac

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
1) What is your budget? (INR. 1,00,000)
Although this is the maximum limit and if it comes to it, I'll purchase it with a grain of salt but comfort,convenience comes at a cost.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Netbook; 11" - 10” screen or less
  • Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
  • Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
Most important for me.
Thin and Light... 12" - 15" screen. I currently own Dell inspiron 5558 15.4" touchscreen which is a bit heavy. Generally I use a laptop on my lap and it feels heavy after a few minutes. It is a bit heavy to travel with also. And the adapter is also heavy. I like those macbook chargers which are not that heavy can be taken without much weight. I like those convertibles also but haven't really used on so can't comment.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
I will use it mainly for office purposes like viewing/editing documents, spreadsheets which can be heavy in size. I'll rarely watch a movie on it. I do like playing pc games but I don't think I will be playing the latest game on it, so I would like to run games in average settings. Like I wanted to play Hitman's latest game which is my favourite series but even my desktop which has good graphics wasn't able to play it smooth.
So gaming is not a priority.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
Macbook Air, Microsoft Surface Pro, HP Ultrabook.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Apple, Dell, HP
b. Dislike: Acer, Lenovo, Asus, Samsung, LG

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) (Full HD will do good)
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) ) (This is the second most important thing for me. I want a laptop which I don't have to keep it charged everytime. So 10+ hours battery backup is welcome. My current Dell has aroung 2.5 hrs backup and it makes me nuts to charge it every now and then. With more backup, I even have the option to take the laptop to my office without its adapter.)
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) ) I would like to purchase either online through Amazon, flipkart or through local store but not international since I don't have the experience.

Either get a gaming laptop, as even that Hitman game requires a decent GPU or forget about gaming.

For an ultrabook, Dell XPS 13 9360 is good enough for you. It is smaller than most other 13.3" ultrabooks like Asus Zenbook. It has a great battery life, 9 hours or more based on usage. It is definitely enough for handling large excel sheets.
New XPS 13 Laptop | Dell India

XPS 13 9370 costs 10k more but is even smaller. Its lack of standard USB ports might be annoying, so I would prefer 9360 over it.

For an ultrabook with some gaming potential, this is your option:
*www.amazon.in/UX430UN-GV069T-13-in...8&qid=1525047924&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+zenbook
MX150 is powerful enough for the Hitman game to be run at low-med settings. It should run other light games like FIFA, Overwatch, DOTA 2, CS GO smoothly.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Either get a gaming laptop, as even that Hitman game requires a decent GPU or forget about gaming.

For an ultrabook, Dell XPS 13 9360 is good enough for you. It is smaller than most other 13.3" ultrabooks like Asus Zenbook. It has a great battery life, 9 hours or more based on usage. It is definitely enough for handling large excel sheets.

XPS 13 9370 costs 10k more but is even smaller. Its lack of standard USB ports might be annoying, so I would prefer 9360 over it.

For an ultrabook with some gaming potential, this is your option:
*www.amazon.in/UX430UN-GV069T-13-in...8&qid=1525047924&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+zenbook
MX150 is powerful enough for the Hitman game to be run at low-med settings. It should run other light games like FIFA, Overwatch, DOTA 2, CS GO smoothly.

How is the performance of these machines, will these hang all the time like my current lappy. I have to think twice before I plan to restart this machine. And this was not the cheapest one , cost me 60k (config is in my signature). I have tried everything like formatting but still it hangs quite often. Does anyone comes with office 365 personal subscription at least? Home and student doesn’t include Outlook , I require Word,Excel n Outlook and currently im on its monthly subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the performance of these machines, will these hang all the time like my current lappy. I have to think twice before I plan to restart this machine. And this was not the cheapest one , cost me 60k (config is in my signature). I have tried everything like formatting but still it hangs quite often. Does anyone comes with office 365 personal subscription at least? Home and student doesn’t include Outlook , I require Word,Excel n Outlook and currently im on its monthly subscription.

i5 8250U is a good CPU because its a quad core with 8 threads. As its a 15W CPU, it can't sustain its max performance for extended durations but you are not buying it for heavy load applications. I bought a Dell XPS 13 9360 recently for my father. It runs great. I ran some simulations on Matlab as well just to check its performance & it does perform similar to my laptop (with i5 6300HQ). But it can't be used for gaming as it is not made for it.

The Asus one can play games due to its dedicated GPU. But invest in a cooling pad just to be safe as its a thin laptop, so I doubt it has a good cooling system for long gaming sessions.

Truth be told, lags in Windows OS is because of buggy OS + slow HDD speeds. An SSD is much faster than a HDD but to avoid issues with Windows, I personally reinstall OS once a year (using the built-in option in Win10).

Bundled MS Office Home & Student is itself a big deal. Its not offered by Dell in US. You might have to continue to pay for Office 365 as I have not seen any laptop with Office 365 subscription pre-bundled.

Your current laptop might benefit a bit by reinstalling the OS. In case it has a DVD drive, you can swap it out for an SSD & clone OS to it. OS on SSD is smooth.

Last edited:
OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i5 8250U is a good CPU because its a quad core with 8 threads. As its a 15W CPU, it can't sustain its max performance for extended durations but you are not buying it for heavy load applications. I bought a Dell XPS 13 9360 recently for my father. It runs great. I ran some simulations on Matlab as well just to check its performance & it does perform similar to my laptop (with i5 6300HQ). But it can't be used for gaming as it is not made for it.

The Asus one can play games due to its dedicated GPU. But invest in a cooling pad just to be safe as its a thin laptop, so I doubt it has a good cooling system for long gaming sessions.

Truth be told, lags in Windows OS is because of buggy OS + slow HDD speeds. An SSD is much faster than a HDD but to avoid issues with Windows, I personally reinstall OS once a year (using the built-in option in Win10).

Bundled MS Office Home & Student is itself a big deal. Its not offered by Dell in US. You might have to continue to pay for Office 365 as I have not seen any laptop with Office 365 subscription pre-bundled.

Your current laptop might benefit a bit by reinstalling the OS. In case it has a DVD drive, you can swap it out for an SSD & clone OS to it. OS on SSD is smooth.

I have removed Gaming as a need since I already own a desktop for that purpose. I want the laptop to be thin and lightweight and at the same time should perform fast.

I have reinstalled Windows on my current laptop and it hasn’t worked and if it did then also I would like to get rid of it due to its heaviness. A portable machine should be lightweight in my opinion and should last long on a battery if not purchased for gaming purpose.

I have removed Gaming as a need since I already own a desktop for that purpose. I want the laptop to be thin and lightweight and at the same time should perform fast.

I have reinstalled Windows on my current laptop and it hasn’t worked and if it did then also I would like to get rid of it due to its heaviness. A portable machine should be lightweight in my opinion and should last long on a battery if not purchased for gaming purpose.

For no gaming, Dell XPS 13 9360 is a great choice. It is expensive for sure as you can get the same specs in an Asus ultrabook for 70k:
*www.amazon.in/UX430UA-GV334T-14-in...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AWHMX4N40RR8MCG7FXSZ

That laptop is compact for a 14" laptop & has the webcam in the proper position. I'd say you won't go wrong with buying any of them.

Sacchu

Gamer!! Geek!!
Just check MSI GS65 Stealth, I know you have removed gaming as need but it is packed with high specs + very Thin + looks professional Classic ( doesn't look like a gaming machine)

• Latest 8th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7 processor
  • Windows 10 Home / Windows 10 Pro
  • GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), 144Hz 7ms, IPS-Level gaming display panel (Optional)
  • World's first 144Hz thin bezel gaming laptop
  • All new Dragon Center with exclusive gaming mode
  • Per-Key RGB gaming keyboard by Steelseries
  • Productivity 8+ hours battery life
  • Sound by Dynaudio and High-Resolution Audio ready
  • 360° virtual surround sound powered by Nahimic 3
  • Ultra-thin 17.9mm, ultra light 1.88kg
  • Xsplit Gamecaster free premium license for 1 year
  • WTFast free premium license for 2 months

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Just check MSI GS65 Stealth, I know you have removed gaming as need but it is packed with high specs + very Thin + looks professional Classic ( doesn't look like a gaming machine)

• 15.6" Full HD (1920x1080), 144Hz 7ms, IPS-Level gaming display panel (Optional)
Read OP before recommending a 1800$ laptop which MSI India would probably price at >200k INR.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I would suggest Microsoft surface Pro or Macbook Air
*www.amazon.in/Microsoft-Surface-Co...8&qid=1525862498&sr=1-12&keywords=macbook+air

*www.amazon.in/Apple-Macbook-MQD42H...F8&qid=1525862498&sr=1-2&keywords=macbook+air

You can't even buy it for the $ conversion of INR 100k (~$1500). It starts at $1800 for GTX 1060 & 1070 model costs $2100. So don't post anything for the sake of it.

Top Bottom