Laptop substitute in India - indigeneous idea...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincereheart

Broken In
Laptop substitute in India - indigeneous idea...!!!

Hi everyone,

I always wanted a laptop but still till date it seems there will never ever be a situation where i will purchase one with the configurations i want...(2 GB RAM; atleast 80 GB HDD; etc etc)...as budget for laptop that i desire will run in almost a lakh...

Now I am thinking of an alternative and need to know what u people think about it...???

MY SITUATION:

I travel say to a different city and stay there for say 1-2 months...then again move to a different place and so on...this essentially means that I am mobile but staying at different locations for longer periods...

WHAT I AM THINKING:

I need basically a computer system when I am say in delhi for 1 month and again in Kanpur for say 2 months like this...its NOT that i need it while travelling in train for that day...

SO what if i purchase say.....

A. a FLAT MONITOR (may be 15" or 17") along with

B. APC 500 VA UPS (which acts as laptop battery for me) and

C. The smalllest available cabinet (CPU Box) so that I can put 2 GB RAM; Intel Motherboard; P4 3.2 Ghz; CD/DVD writer; 1 or if possible 2 HDD and say antec smps...

I am thinking (correct me if i am wrong) that this way:

Cabinet (with everything inside) + Flat Monitor + UPS (smallest) can act as my laptop at different locations....

Cabinet + Flat Monitor + UPS = One suitcase = Virtual Laptop

I understand that obvious disadvantage is that I cannot use it while travelling thats when on move but only at different prolonged staying locations...

MY QUESTIONS TO YOU KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE:

Q1. How far is my idea feasible / practical / implementable / insane / sane....?????

Q2. What are potential risks / problems/ difficulties I may face....????????

(apart from not being able to use while on move)

Q3. Is there any modification/ refinement/ alternative to above idea where I can have best configurations like i stated above at minimum cost...????

I would seriously urge that anyone and everyone to please reply to this concept of mine as to how far is it implementable and is it worth it....??????????

You may add/ suggest/ criticise or for that matter put forth whatever u feel is ur reaction to above idea...

thanks again for ur time and patience....

thanks again...

best and warmest regards,

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

p.s. IN case u feel i should go ahead with the idea please say me which company's cabinet box is SMALLEST and BEST and can accommodate Intel 915 motherboard for above configurations that i desire....THANKS SO MUCH MUCH FRIENDS.....

Techmastro

Journeyman
What i think is that using flat screen instead of regular moniter saves a lot of load + space.
But it will be one or the same thing as UPS is quite heavy in comparison to laptop battery , if you go for small UPS to save space that will cost you more.
Moreover small cabinet to mobo,ram,cdwriter etc can cause heating problems.

vswizard

Broken In
I had thought abt the same before i bought my laptop.. and it was nearly the same situation
as yours that i didnt need to work while travellingrather i was to stay at particular places for 1 - 2 months

Reasons why i didnt buy :

1) During travelling it wud be nearly impossible to avoid shocks which the components will be frequented with.
2) UPS Battery will become quiet heavy
3) LCD monitor + CPU (as specified) wud nearly cost equal to a decent laptop ( mine is Acer NLC3002 ) around 32k .
4) Heating Issues.
5) You dont just carry a cpu,ups,lcd but cables, keyboard, mouse , speakers. etc.

These are my views... u are a better judge..

OP
S

sincereheart

Broken In
Code:
LCD monitor + CPU (as specified) wud nearly cost equal to a decent laptop ( mine is Acer NLC3002 ) around 32k .

AGREED CENT PER CENT....BUT

what u get by paying say 33k in laptop....same amount u spent on desktop and u get best configuration...

i mean even 1 gb ram; p4 say 3.2 Ghz; and so on....

but yes all other points u mentioned are really worth considering...
--------
Code:
[quote] 
Moreover small cabinet to mobo,ram,cdwriter etc can cause heating problems[/quote]
one option is to keep the sides of cabinets open...

just a point....
---------

thanks

would appreciate if anyone would like to add or comment...

and yes whatever be ur opinion (negative or positive) its appreciated and helpful...

thanks again...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
If u have the dough, u can experiment with BabyAtx form factor motherboards or shuttle PC mobos, lCD displays, vkb virtual keyboards and small ups. But I would advise u against walking around in that setup. That is, if u could.

And yes, the mac mini option is there for photosop and quicktime addicts in pc. But for others it is not a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom