Hardhat

Right off the assembly line
Asus G551 vs HP Envy AE009

I'm looking to buy a laptop to be able to do visual design work. Also some 3d modelling once in a while. Mostly running programs together with browsers.
Gaming is not something I'm continuously doing but still quite a frequent possibility of gaming.

Currently comparing
Asus g551jx-dm036h vs HP envy ae009Tx

Asus g551jx-dm036h
Seems to have a better processor
Core i7-4720HQ
1TB hard drive 7900 rpm
8GB ram
But Graphic Card is 2GB 950GTX
Looks good but don't really.like the overbranded feel. Seems sturdy.

HP envy ae009Tx
Core i7-5500U
2TB hard drive 5400 rpm
16GB ram
4GB 950 GTX
Looks better, don't like the macbook styled feel. Like the finish better than Asus.

Both cost around 85. Atleast the quotes I've got.

Really confused. Which one makes more sense? Is there any other option that does almost the same ? Also is there that big a difference in performance?

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Re: Asus G551 vs HP Envy AE009

I'm looking to buy a laptop to be able to do visual design work. Also some 3d modelling once in a while. Mostly running programs together with browsers.
Gaming is not something I'm continuously doing but still quite a frequent possibility of gaming.

Currently comparing
Asus g551jx-dm036h vs HP envy ae009Tx

Asus g551jx-dm036h
Seems to have a better processor
Core i7-4720HQ
1TB hard drive 7900 rpm
8GB ram
But Graphic Card is 2GB 950GTX
Looks good but don't really.like the overbranded feel. Seems sturdy.

HP envy ae009Tx
Core i7-5500U
2TB hard drive 5400 rpm
16GB ram
4GB 950 GTX
Looks better, don't like the macbook styled feel. Like the finish better than Asus.

Both cost around 85. Atleast the quotes I've got.

Really confused. Which one makes more sense? Is there any other option that does almost the same ? Also is there that big a difference in performance?

Fill the questioniarre.
Above 60k both laptops are useless/not worth

OP
H

Hardhat

Re: Asus G551 vs HP Envy AE009

Fill the questioniarre.
Above 60k both laptops are useless/not worth

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Rs 85 k ish A little higher is considerable. Lower pricing is obviously great.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light 15" . I had a Dell Xps 15 and it was heavy as hell. No more. 2kgs or a little more seems about right.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Mostly adobe softwares. Upto three four programs side by side with a browser with a million tabs.

3d tools like Blender, Maya etc.

Gaming frequently but not all the time.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

1Tb hdd seems to be the norm. Won't say no to 2.

And 4gb ram too. 8 or 16 is great if my requirements seem to suggest that.

Graphic card that's able to handle my requirements seamlessly. And helps running new games.

Moniter that's nice because I'd be doing colour sensitive work.

Battery life the more the better as in any case.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Don't have a brand preference.

But helps if the service backup is sorted throughout the country and not location dependant.
Also don't like over the top too cool branding like the Lenovo y50.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) )

Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) requirement anything more is great. )

Purchase place : store purchase is great because I can get it right away. But online buying is fine if there's an advantage.

$hadow

Geek in making
Well you have to leave that under 2kg weight limit or else you have to look for razer laptop import. If not looking for excessive gaming I would still suggest Mac

OP
H

Hardhat

Lets say I drop the 2kg thing. Make 2.8ish kg okay limit. What macbook lives up to those configuration options with same.price range?

- - - Updated - - -

Too funny how no one is actually replying to the question and now it has been moved.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Macbooks generally have the config of a 40-50k laptop (baring the screen sometimes) while having the price tag of 100k+ custom gaming laptops with the air flow system of a tablet. So, unless all of the software you are going to use don't have any windows alternative, don't buy a macbook.

Edit:

Laptops with 950M: Not worth buying for more than 60k
960M: 75k.
970M: ~100k

Either buy Asus ROG GL552JX DM087D Core I7 4720HQ 4GB 1TB 15 6" Full HD 4GB Graphics | eBay or Lenovo Y50 when it gets updated with 960M or ask for a quote from AZOM SYSTEMS

Last edited:
As its not available in eBay, you can get the ASUS one with almost same specs here:
Asus GL552JX-CN009H ROG Series GL552JX Core i7 - (8 GB DDR3/1 TB HDD/Windows 8.1/2 GB Graphics) Notebook Rs.70999 Price in India - Buy Asus GL552JX-CN009H ROG Series GL552JX Core i7 - (8 GB DDR3/1 TB HDD/Windows 8.1/2 GB Graphics) Notebook Black Onli

As you have 85k budget, I would suggest that you buy a 256GB M2 type SSD for your laptop (that should cost 8-10k, when imported). Trust me, having your C drive in a SSD will greatly boost the performance & multi tasking capability.

Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW): Computers & Accessories

Also check this, a guy claims that the eBay model has a TN display, do research about it before buying. TN displays are the worst. A normal dispaly is better than that
*www.digit.in/forum/laptops-netbooks/193020-asus-gl552jx-cn009h-vs-asus-gl552jx-dm087d.html

PTonga

Other brands fine for me, but I like Ausu many more reasons, including experience using it. And insurance services for Ausu considered valid as ever.

OP
H

Hardhat

Thanks for the great advice and links guys. What do you guys think about the HP Ae model?
Any links that help me get that for a cheaper price too?

Also those two processors compared seem to have lots of difference, is that right?

Somehow the HP option seems like it would last longer requirement wise. What does everything think about that model?

Just last minute thoughts before I make a purchase.

The HP one would give you a better battery life (1 hr more) than ASUS one (should give 3.5- 4 hrs), a bit lighter(300g) & 1TB extra storage space.

The ASUS one has better CPU, better HDD, slot for a SSD & costs less. I would suggest going for ASUS one with an additional SSD

2GB vs 4GB GTX950M?? It won't matter much in gaming

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks for the great advice and links guys. What do you guys think about the HP Ae model?
Any links that help me get that for a cheaper price too?

Also those two processors compared seem to have lots of difference, is that right?

Somehow the HP option seems like it would last longer requirement wise. What does everything think about that model?

Just last minute thoughts before I make a purchase.

That HP one isn't worth over 55k IMO despite the 16 GB ram. The CPU is a dual core ULV one. As for the Asus one, don't spend a rupee more than 60k. Use rest for upgrading to a SSD.

Top Bottom