Laptop HDD damaged. Need suggestion for suitable SSD

sameermanas

Starting to learn!!
Hi everyone,

My laptop is Lenovo Flex 2 14. It has recent BSODs in Win 10 after screen started freezing suddenly. Everytime it reboots to BIOS and says HDD not installed. The laptop has something called hybrid HDD where 8GB is SSD and rest is HDD. The capacity is 500GB for whole disk.

I went to the service center guy and he said drive is damaged after running some tests.

Instead of going for another HDD again, I am planning to use a smaller size SSD. I have SG external disk of 2TB. So I want to have an SSD of low capacity say 120 or 240 GB in the Laptop.

I am not much knowledgeable about the SDD and HDD port connections. But I know that the Laptop is Sata enabled. So please suggest a suitable SSD of 120 or 240 GB that fits with this device.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy Online Crucial 240GB BX500 SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD CT240BX500SSD1 In India
Buy Online ADATA Ultimate SU650 240GB SSD ASU650SS-240GT-R In India
Buy Online Kingston A400 2.5″ 240GB SATA III TLC SSD SA400S37/240G In India

If you want the best budget 250gb ssd(faster & more reliable too) then:
Buy Online SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5″ 250GB SATA SSD MZ-76E250BW In India

OP
sameermanas

sameermanas

Starting to learn!!
Buy Online Crucial 240GB BX500 SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD CT240BX500SSD1 In India
Buy Online ADATA Ultimate SU650 240GB SSD ASU650SS-240GT-R In India
Buy Online Kingston A400 2.5″ 240GB SATA III TLC SSD SA400S37/240G In India

If you want the best budget 250gb ssd(faster & more reliable too) then:
Buy Online SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5″ 250GB SATA SSD MZ-76E250BW In India
I am willing to buy the Samsung one. Does this fit on my Flex 2 14 perfectly without any configuration?

My current SSHD is damaged and can't be read by the SSD software to transfer any files as they show in tutorials for cloning disk.

I just want to replace that with new one and install windows 10.

Your laptop has a 2.5" SATA drive bay, so you can just replace it with another 2.5" drive, SSD or HDD. Download Win10 from Microsoft & try to install it, it should read your key from BIOS (or somewhere else where it is coded nowadays).
Here's Where (and How) to Download Windows 10

OP
sameermanas

sameermanas

Starting to learn!!
Your laptop has a 2.5" SATA drive bay, so you can just replace it with another 2.5" drive, SSD or HDD. Download Win10 from Microsoft & try to install it, it should read your key from BIOS (or somewhere else where it is coded nowadays).
Here's Where (and How) to Download Windows 10
Thanks a ton Anupam. I'll be ordering it today.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am willing to buy the Samsung one. Does this fit on my Flex 2 14 perfectly without any configuration?

My current SSHD is damaged and can't be read by the SSD software to transfer any files as they show in tutorials for cloning disk.

I just want to replace that with new one and install windows 10.

Yes,hdd/ssd compatibility depends on forma factor.Any 2.5" hdd/sshd/ssd can be replaced by any other 2.5" hdd/sshd/ssd.

SSHD are a bit harder to clone compared to traditional hdd.In any case it is better to go with a fresh install especially when moving from SSHD.No need to worry about activation as either fresh win 10 will be activated automatically during installation itself(if key is embedded in laptop bios) else it will be activated once you connect to internet after install.

OP
sameermanas

sameermanas

Starting to learn!!
Guys. An unrelated question to the thread. When I asked the lenovo service center about RAM upgrade, they said my device has only one slot. But when I opened it for replacing SSD, I found a similar slot to RAM.

I want to add an 8GB stcik along with 4GB one. Is this possible?

Is the slot for RAM or not? I enclosed Picture below.*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190313/c93bd39dc41b1951309edb812a0289ee.jpg

Get RAM of same frequency & DDR type, 99% chance it will work.

Very rare chance of it not working, last happened with me when DDR1 was in market. Some people go as far as trying to match frequency, timing, etc which is sometimes not listed online.

OP
sameermanas

sameermanas

Starting to learn!!
Get RAM of same frequency & DDR type, 99% chance it will work.

Very rare chance of it not working, last happened with me when DDR1 was in market. Some people go as far as trying to match frequency, timing, etc which is sometimes not listed online.
It worked now Anupam. I got same config 8GB one and fixed it. My laptop has 12GB RAM now. Thank you everyone for the suggestion. My laptop is faster than ever. New SSD as well as RAM upgrade.

Thank you very much for your time guys!

Top Bottom