Laptop from US 1000-1100 USD

tmbsundar

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
1000-1100 USD

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
  • Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
- Programming - Heavy Big Data type - will need at least 16 GB RAM, and some video editing
- New to gaming . But may take to games later. Hence eyeing at Gaming laptops which can be used for multimedia/ video also
5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
GL551/ G750JM/ N550JK/ N551JK - Please suggest any better deals or models. I know G750JM is beyond my budget - just keeping it in case the price drops or a deal pops up.
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus
b. Dislike: everything else - just kidding. Asus is clearly known for some minimum quality standards + International warranty - That is the only brand which is unequivocally clear on its stand on Int. Warranty

6) Anything else you would like to say?

• Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) - preferably IPS - Asus N series has IPS. Not ROG series. Fine without IPS also as ROG is upwards of 860M)
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) )
  • Purchase place ( Abroad (US/ Canada) )
​7) Here's the most important question

• How to order?: Amazon seems to be the only site which accepts Indian CC. But the exchange rate they use is high. INR 67 including their charges where as the real exchange rate is INR 62. This makes a big difference in a 1000$ deal
  • Also, other sites like microcenter etc., add sales taxes locally and some do not allow if the billing and shipping address are different.
  • My friend will carry this when he comes back in a month or two. Do not want to directly import.
  • International Warranty is a must.
      • ​ Anyone has any ideas what will be the best way to go about it?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
extend budget and get XOTIC PC | Sager NP8268 (Clevo P150SM-A) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook

Cheapest and best VFM laptop for your requirements.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ IMO products which may require ASS in 2-3 years >> Products which may require ASS after a year or so. I'm not saying Asus is bad. I'm just saying don't import underpowered stuff. If you want to buy a ROG series only laptop, better get Asus G55JK from flipkart.

You may regret buying a laptop with 850m when you can get one with 870m/970m at the same price.

Last edited:
OP
T

tmbsundar

Broken In
Thanks.

Checked the India G551 - That is 850M DDR3 and 8 GB Memory @ 82-88K.
Whereas the US GL551 comes with 860M DDR5 and 16GB Memory @ 62-68K. Hence the temptation :lol:

Night-Rider

Journeyman
@Night-Rider Since you own a G551. Is it an IPS panel? How is the cooling? How is the performance?

Is it VFM and how would you compare that with a Lenovo Y50?

Yes it's an IPS panel. The screen quality is excellent. That made me choose this laptop over Y50. The laptop runs pretty cool. Average GPU temperature is 75 degrees. It never really gets hot. Warm at most. I use a cooling pad. Performance wise it is a mid range performing laptop.

I have tried these games till now. FPS and settings listed along side it.

Dota 2: 1080P, Maxed Out 50 FPS.
Witcher 2: 990P Ultra setting. AA Enabled. Ubersampling OFF. 35-45 FPS
Batman Arkham Origins: 1080P, Everything maxed out at DirectX 11 except Dynamic Shadows set to Normal. 42-55 FPS.

Haven't tried any other games yet.

In comparison to Y50, ofcourse this laptop's performance will be inferior as it has an inferior GPU (850m vs 860m). However, for me the top deciding factor was that I need a really good screen. What is the point of having a faster GPU if the games don't look good?

However, you can always change a screen but not GPU. But I didn't want to take the hassle of changing the screen if I am spending 80K on a laptop. Moreover, replacement screens would never be the same as the thing which came with the laptop. My previous experience of screen replacement hasn't been good.

Another inferior part of this laptop is speakers. They are really poor for a gaming laptop. Sounds like my Moto X speakers (even though my Moto X has really good speakers for a phone). But I expect better speakers from a laptop. However the bundled gaming headset takes care of that.

Conclusion: In the 80K range, only ASUS and Y50 are the VFM laptops. As there are lots of other laptops which are more expensive and have inferior configurations than these two. If you can compromise on screen quality go for Y50. But ASUS laptop is a decent alternative to Y50.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Yes it's an IPS panel. The screen quality is excellent. That made me choose this laptop over Y50. The laptop runs pretty cool. Average GPU temperature is 75 degrees. It never really gets hot. Warm at most. I use a cooling pad. Performance wise it is a mid range performing laptop.

Batman Arkham Origins: 1080P, Everything maxed out at DirectX 11 except Dynamic Shadows set to Normal. 42-55 FPS.

In comparison to Y50, ofcourse this laptop's performance will be inferior as it has an inferior GPU (850m vs 860m). However, for me the top deciding factor was that I need a really good screen. What is the point of having a faster GPU if the games don't look good?

However, you can always change a screen but not GPU. But I didn't want to take the hassle of changing the screen if I am spending 80K on a laptop. Moreover, replacement screens would never be the same as the thing which came with the laptop. My previous experience of screen replacement hasn't been good.

Another inferior part of this laptop is speakers. They are really poor for a gaming laptop. Sounds like my Moto X speakers (even though my Moto X has really good speakers for a phone). But I expect better speakers from a laptop. However the bundled gaming headset takes care of that.

Conclusion: In the 80K range, only ASUS and Y50 are the VFM laptops. As there are lots of other laptops which are more expensive and have inferior configurations than these two. If you can compromise on screen quality go for Y50. But ASUS laptop is a decent alternative to Y50.

Nvidia GTX 850m benchmarks are unimpressive. I am highly disappointed. :/
I expected at least DOTA 2 maxed out 1080p 60FPS and Witcher 2 Maxed out 1080p (Ubersampling off).
I play these games at these settings in my 2 year old Lenovo Y500. :-?

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Nvidia GTX 850m benchmarks are unimpressive. I am highly disappointed. :/
I expected at least DOTA 2 maxed out 1080p 60FPS and Witcher 2 Maxed out 1080p (Ubersampling off).
I play these games at these settings in my 2 year old Lenovo Y500. :-?

I think the DDR5 version has better performance. Close to 860M. Btw I am not really sure about Dota 2 though, as I ran it only once during a bot match and not even played it. I don't think the settings were optimized properly. I would let you know the final results of Dota 2 soon when I play it tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

If you would like better data regarding 850M, please check this link:

*www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^Disappointed once more.
Can't max out:
1.COD:AW.
2.COD:Ghosts.
3.BF:4.
Can;t play on high:
1.Inquisition.
2.Shadow of mordor.

All of which is possible in my Y500.

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Yup. As I mentioned above. ASUS has an inferior GPU compared to Y50. So it all boils down to the OP's preference regarding screen quality.

OP
T

tmbsundar

Broken In

Great and short review. Thanks.

The 551s have a single fan unlike their ROG big bros (17"ers) or the earlier 550s. But strangely enough, according to reviews the single fan seems to be doing a better job than the dual fans of 550s. Definitely, the dual fan design in G750xx is in a different league though.

Does the fan run quite?

The US model is non-IPS but with a 860M DDR5. Would you still recommend buying this 860M/non-IPS if I can lay my hands on one through someone?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot

The 551s have a single fan unlike their ROG big bros (17"ers) or the earlier 550s. But strangely enough, according to reviews the single fan seems to be doing a better job than the dual fans of 550s. Definitely, the dual fan design in G750xx is in a different league though.

Does the fan run quite?

The US model is non-IPS but with a 860M DDR5. Would you still recommend buying this 860M/non-IPS if I can lay my hands on one through someone?

Yes. Normal TN panels are actually quite good. Trading GTX 860m with a good TN panel is definitely much better than GTX 850m with a IPS panel.

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Yes. Normal TN panels are actually quite good. Trading GTX 860m with a good TN panel is definitely much better than GTX 850m with a IPS panel.

+1. Moreover, TN panels have better response rates. I have noticed ghosting in one game (Darksiders).

- - - Updated - - -

Does the fan run quite?

Yes the fan is really quite. I don't even notice it running and my room is really really really quiet. Yes, if you can get it, sure go ahead. Read the review beforehand though and make sure the warranty is global warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked yesterday. Dota 2 FPS is 60 FPS (Vsync enabled) Goes till 52 in big fights

Top Bottom