Laptop for Sister who just joined college

Shreya Sachan

Right off the assembly line
Hi All,

My sister just joined college and she is doing a Language course there. She lives in the hostel and needs a lightweight functional laptop that would last her 4 to 5 years.

1) What is your budget? (INR)
30 - 35 K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Not more than 1.2 kilos and screen size 11 to 13 inches

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Social Media surfing, Movies, Making presentations, writing assignments (Backlight preferred), Windows should be pre installed

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
i3 or i5 processor, Decent memory - SSD preferred

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
HP and Lenovo preferred. Any brands that have back to school offers right now would be great!

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Should have decent battery backup and should definitely be lightweight. Good display, consistent good reviews and good display

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing in this budget with these features,either compromise on weight(1.2kg is just too less) or processor(celeron/pentium instead of core i). And forget about backlit keyboards even for 40k laptops.

quicky008

Technomancer
just get any decent sub 30k laptop from one of your preferred brands-make sure it has atleast a pentium quad core type cpu and 8gb of ram and it should serve your sister just fine.

I suppose it will scarcely be used for anything else other than watching movies or videos ,and will just lie in some corner collecting dust and grime for the most part-therefore getting an expensive i3/i5 equipped laptop will be a colossal waste in this scenario.

Last edited:
Hi All,

My sister just joined college and she is doing a Language course there. She lives in the hostel and needs a lightweight functional laptop that would last her 4 to 5 years.

1) What is your budget? (INR)
30 - 35 K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Not more than 1.2 kilos and screen size 11 to 13 inches

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Social Media surfing, Movies, Making presentations, writing assignments (Backlight preferred), Windows should be pre installed

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
i3 or i5 processor, Decent memory - SSD preferred

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
HP and Lenovo preferred. Any brands that have back to school offers right now would be great!

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Should have decent battery backup and should definitely be lightweight. Good display, consistent good reviews and good display
I think your cheapest bet with those requirements would be Vivobook S14 which weighs 1.2kg, costs 50k (no backlit KB maybe):
*www.amazon.in/VivoBook-256GB-Windo...s=zenbook+13&qid=1565192850&s=gateway&sr=8-11

For a cheaper option, get this & add another RAM/replace RAM to 8GB:
*www.amazon.in/VivoBook-X512DA-EJ43...=3500u+laptop&qid=1565192778&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Top Bottom