Laptop for Photoediting

sydbarett

Broken In
Hi Guys ! Need a bit of help choosing a laptop for photoediting. Completed Questionnaire is as under :-

1) What is your budget? (INR) - 60K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Looking for a lightweight alternative (<2 kg) if possible. But screen size should be minimum 13 inches.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Photoediting on the fly.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
i7 (quad core) with 8 gb RAM and USB 3. Hybrid drive and Backlit keyboard would be welcome bonuses.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Lenovo, Dell, Asus, HP, Apple (not necessarily in that order)
b. Dislike: none

6) Anything else you would like to say?
•Screen resolution - Would prefer FHD. But even 720p may suffice as long as colors rendering is good. I have a preference for the 3:2 aspect but looks like most manufacturers couldn't care less.

•Battery back up - Not too important as I'd carry the AC adapter
•Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) - Open to locally (Kolkata) or online (from within India)

A quick survey in Kolkata market (G C Avenue) gave me the impression that there's not much difference in a 30k laptop vs a 50-55k one vis a vis processing power. Even i7 models are ULV/two core in design and I'm not too enthused about using ULVs for photoediting. Almost made me get an old Macbook pro model (MD101) for 52k, given its one of the last models which allow a 2nd HD !

Suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

OP
sydbarett

sydbarett

Broken In
Thanks. Looks promising. The M.2 option is great. Going by reviews, flickering appears to be a problem though.

$hadow

Geek in making
Don't count flickering as a issue as sometimes videos on youtube might end up flickering but not in real life.

OP
sydbarett

sydbarett

Broken In
Normally I wouldn't. But I seem to get a headache from bad monitors. I don't know if its the bad SAR issue or the flickering or both.

Blue Leaf

Broken In
Availability of Asus ROG GL552JX DM087D on Ebay is a biggest problem.Its been over a month since it was last available.

You can get the Asus GL552JX-CN009H instead. Its available at online stores @70k and the market price is around 63K - 67K (fluctuating from state to state)

The advantage of the Indian version over the imported Thailand version being sold at ebay @59k are -

1. IPS + matte display over TN + matte
2.8GB RAM over 4GB
3. Language on the keyboard is English only over English + Thai
4.Peace of mind when it comes to warranty
5. Asus back to school offer(additional 2yrs warranty + goodies)

The only downside of the Indian Edition is it has 2GB DDR3 950m compared to 4GB DDR3 950m present on the imported thailand edition.
But to be honest It really would not make any difference.

I have checked the laptop in Kolkata, Its available at E-mall but they asking for 67K and There is another model available with 16Gb ram,
Dont fall for that.

G.Ashwinkumar

Broken In
So you did mention abroad as a option. SO if possible just check out my thread for a college laptop, there are seriously a lots of options in this price range in USA. My thread should give you a pretty good idea of which lappy to get for photo editing. All those laptops come with a 4720hq and some with 5700 hq which means they have some serious power also they have pretty neat graphic cards they'll help you out in case of 3d stuff.Buy from USA only if you someone can physically carry it fromt here to here or else its a pretty bad deal.If you're gonna buy from India do checkout the Asus gl552jx and the Asus x550jk. Although everybody suggested the first one the X550jk seems a better option considering the screen quality. Please visit your local store and see them in person before making a choice. And yes you have to up your budget by 10k or drop it down by 20k.There is not much of processor change from the 40k to 65k range in India which is pretty bad.Considering most of them come with the crappy 5500U.Even though some would say you really need to worry about gpu for photo editing you really need a strong processor. So 4720hq should be your minimum.An added gpu would make a good deal. All the best with your purchase.

Top Bottom