Laptop for Movies, Light Gaming, CAD.

aytus

The Boss
Hey Guys,

Back here after a long time. Nothing is more trusty then the wise guys in tdf when it comes to tech. :)

So i need a laptop, and the main purpose of buying is that i am moving out of my home for a new job.

It has to do all that i do on my desktop. Since this would be the only device(apart from phones of course) i would be banking on for my daily entertainment needs, it needs to have at least 1080p screen, a good one for watching movies, a good speaker system will also be greatly appreciated. Apart from that , i am into designing so would be running 3d packages like solidworks (1500+ part assemblies) so need at-least 8 gigs of ram. 4th gen i5 or i7 cpu.
Good looks and durability are always a plus. A good keyboard is definitely a must. can wait for about a month, if some real good tech is in the pipeline, can ask my bro from Australia as-well to bring it in. Looking for something that would last me around 3 years.

A decent discreet gpu required, and this is the most confusing bit. haven't really followed tech after college(2008). Times when i thought that jump from pixel and vertex shaders to unified shaders was foolish. Tessellation and ray-tracing were awesome and naming schemes were simple enough 9800GTX>9800GT>9600 :). Just dont get enough spare time to spend on anandtech now :(.
So really, all i am going to use that chip for, is some occasional gaming in the likes of BF4 and when alex mercer stages his return in part 3. I dont want too high end graphics but it shouldn,t look too shabby while im at it in full hd glory. Bottomline, something thats optimised for mid standard gaming on dx12. No sli/cross required.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
Bummer: 60k :), can extend a lil.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen, but not too heavy, since id be travelling.

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Movies, occasional gaming, CAD.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
4th gen i5 or i7, 8 gigs ram, anything 500gb+ hybrid hdd,

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: open to all small brands too.
b. Dislike: acer, anything that has design flaws in its venting system, cheap quality, anything that makes me a guinea pig.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

• Screen resolution ( 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) but not less then that. )
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (australia) ) all options open.

Roopatg

Broken In
Thanks for sharing valuable information.Recently I bought Lenovo G580, and I am extremely happy with this system.

Last edited:
OP
aytus

aytus

The Boss
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. OK i have researched about the current tech a bit, also looked up the suggested models.
I guess this is the spec i want:

Core i5 4200M
850GTX
1080p 15.6" screen
8 GB RAM
6 Cell, 500GB+ hybrid, good built quality.
Budget for a similar config shouldn't overshoot by 60k i hope.

Any such machine, with realistic prices in existence? If not yet then how long? expected prices? best compromise machine available?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. OK i have researched about the current tech a bit, also looked up the suggested models.
I guess this is the spec i want:

Core i5 4200M
850GTX
1080p 15.6" screen
8 GB RAM
6 Cell, 500GB+ hybrid, good built quality.
Budget for a similar config shouldn't overshoot by 60k i hope.

Any such machine, with realistic prices in existence? If not yet then how long? expected prices? best compromise machine available?

GTX 850m is not out here yet. You can get GT 755m in the Y510p. The other things are available in the Y510p. Gonna take a month or two for GTX 850m to arrive.

OP
aytus

aytus

The Boss
So, this is about as much as i can hold on for. I need to buy one now.??> which one to go for guys.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
If your bro can get a laptop from Australia then tell him to buy this:
*www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/576-horize-w355ss-gaming-notebook.html

This is a custom laptop from Clevo. It has pretty very build quality although looks may not be that good. This is the most powerful laptop in your budget and it easily surpasses the Lenovo Y510p core i7 model. Also, you can customize it as per your needs.

Top Bottom