Laptop for 75K

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Suggest laptop configurations for my friend.

1) What is your budget?
(INR or USD)
A) 75000INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
A) Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
A) 1.Coding - Run big applications. e.g. E-commerece/Insurance company application.
2.Run OSes in Virtual Box.
3.Dual Boot for sure.(might be 3 OSes if its possible)
4.A bit of gaming I guess but that's isn't the main criteria at all.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
A) I am guessing i7 HQ processor is needed.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, HP and so
b. Dislike: Acer, Samsung. Basically the not so famous brands in laptop market

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) - please not the 768p resolution. Matte screen is must.
  • Battery back up - normal (3-4hrs)
  • Purchase place - Online and Local Chennai. Open to international purchase only if the brand provide international warranty for that laptop model.
  • Will be buying laptop as soon as possible. Can't wait till next month.
Thanks in advance :)

sohan_92

In the zone
I saw this product today on Flipkart.

MSI CX Core i7 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS/2 GB Graphics) CX62 7QL Notebook Rs.53990 Price in India - Buy MSI CX Core i7 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS/2 GB Graphics) CX62 7QL Notebook Black Online - MSI : Flipkart.com

But I am not sure how far it is true, otherwise it is a steal deal.

You can add extra RAM sticks later.

Last edited:
OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I too saw this. Seems too good to be true. Also, in one of review, "Power brick comes with a Type G (UK) Plug head with 3A Fuse", so it seems a imported product. I can't trust this one.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I saw this product today on Flipkart.

MSI CX Core i7 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS/2 GB Graphics) CX62 7QL Notebook Rs.53990 Price in India - Buy MSI CX Core i7 7th Gen - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS/2 GB Graphics) CX62 7QL Notebook Black Online - MSI : Flipkart.com

But I am not sure how far it is true, otherwise it is a steal deal.

You can add extra RAM sticks later.

Not a steal deal. More like steal your money deal. CPU is again a ULV dual core version and GPU is a measly 940mx.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Suggest laptop configurations for my friend.

1) What is your budget?
(INR or USD)
A) 75000INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
A) Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
A) 1.Coding - Run big applications. e.g. E-commerece/Insurance company application.
2.Run OSes in Virtual Box.
3.Dual Boot for sure.(might be 3 OSes if its possible)
4.A bit of gaming I guess but that's isn't the main criteria at all.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
A) I am guessing i7 HQ processor is needed.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, HP and so
b. Dislike: Acer, Samsung. Basically the not so famous brands in laptop market

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) - please not the 768p resolution. Matte screen is must.
  • Battery back up - normal (3-4hrs)
  • Purchase place - Online and Local Chennai. Open to international purchase only if the brand provide international warranty for that laptop model.
  • Will be buying laptop as soon as possible. Can't wait till next month.

For running multiple instances of VMs, you need as many cores/threads as possible. Ask your friend to consider assembling at least a R5 1500x based desktop.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I am really sorry for the late update. I have talked to my friend about the desktop and he has denied by saying he needs mobility. So, laptop it is. Please suggest some configs. Thanks

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I am really sorry for the late update. I have talked to my friend about the desktop and he has denied by saying he needs mobility. So, laptop it is. Please suggest some configs. Thanks
Try to get a laptop with i7 7700HQ and GTX 1050Ti. If he can import from USA, then Acer Helios 300 with GTX 1060 goes for around 68K there.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
So sorry for keeping this thread inactive. But my friend went to lots of things recently so had to postpone the purchase. But now he has asked me again to finalize this by the end of 2nd weekend.
Also, conditions has changed. I told him all about how indian laptop markets are ripping off customers, so He is ready to import a laptop from US !!

I need to know following things now :
1. How much will be the delivery charges
2. Does he need to go to customs personally to get his delivery package. Though Amazon takes care of this, but just want to confirm once again.
3. International warranty will be available?

This is his very big expense and will not spend again for at least 4-5 yrs. The laptop has to be sturdy and good build and no known heating issues please. He doesn't have AC at his home and laptop coolers are worthless IMO, so these two are important factors.

I will update this thread with more doubts at later point but for now I need the suggestions on the laptop models.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I was planning to import a laptop via amazon itself. Laptop was priced at 1250$ and around 550$ was shown as customs taxes and shipping charges separately. Means you'll have to pay 45% excess on the actual amount. If your friend can get it through somebody else, he'll save that overcharge.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
So sorry for keeping this thread inactive. But my friend went to lots of things recently so had to postpone the purchase. But now he has asked me again to finalize this by the end of 2nd weekend.
Also, conditions has changed. I told him all about how indian laptop markets are ripping off customers, so He is ready to import a laptop from US !!

I need to know following things now :
1. How much will be the delivery charges
2. Does he need to go to customs personally to get his delivery package. Though Amazon takes care of this, but just want to confirm once again.
3. International warranty will be available?

This is his very big expense and will not spend again for at least 4-5 yrs. The laptop has to be sturdy and good build and no known heating issues please. He doesn't have AC at his home and laptop coolers are worthless IMO, so these two are important factors.

I will update this thread with more doubts at later point but for now I need the suggestions on the laptop models.

instead of all this hassle and loosing warranty or limited models with not not so good after sale services 1 year international warranty ,( plus you need it for long term ) .. just wait for 1.5-2 months .. only consider buying from US if you are getting international warranty from a good brand and somebody is bringing it for you

8th gen laptops might arrive by Diwali time in India and then buy it with 3 years extended Indian warranty offers , that is much much better ..

your friend already postponed his purchase , 8th gen laptops are totally worth the wait

It would be better as 8th gen U series i5 and i7 processors are 4 Cores and 8 threads .. a major improvement over 7th gen 2 cores / 4 threads

these models have been announced so far

Intel 8th-gen CPUs: All the laptops announced so far, and where's Coffee Lake?

and then by that time we might even have AMD Ryzen APU laptops though they could arrive late..

Last edited:

sohan_92

In the zone
instead of all this hassle and loosing warranty or limited models with not not so good after sale services 1 year international warranty ,( plus you need it for long term ) .. just wait for 1.5-2 months .. only consider buying from US if you are getting international warranty from a good brand and somebody is bringing it for you

8th gen laptops might arrive by Diwali time in India and then buy it with 3 years extended Indian warranty offers , that is much much better ..

your friend already postponed his purchase , 8th gen laptops are totally worth the wait

It would be better as 8th gen U series i5 and i7 processors are 4 Cores and 8 threads .. a major improvement over 7th gen 2 cores / 4 threads

these models have been announced so far

Intel 8th-gen CPUs: All the laptops announced so far, and where's Coffee Lake?

and then by that time we might even have AMD Ryzen APU laptops though they could arrive late..
Big question... Will it come in OP's budget?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Big question... Will it come in OP's budget?

should be .. the commonly found i7 7500U in indian laptops customer price from Intel is 393 $
while 8th gen i7 8550 U has a customer price of 409 $ from intel.. `16$ difference from intel's side so should only be marginally expensive than the "launch price" of current laptops .. unless oems decide to take advantage and charge unreasonable premium , though less chances because of competition from upcoming Ryzen laptop APU's ..

the good part is 8th gen i5 U series is also 4 cores / 8 threads ..

i5 8250U - 4 cores / 8threads - 1.6ghz base -- 3.4 ghz turbo

i7 8550U - 4 cores / 8threads - 1.8ghz base - 4.0 ghz turbo

here are the benchmarks for i5 8250U .. i5 8250U scores 8000 on passmark/cpubenchmark .. though might throttle during extended periods , but they also don't require heavy cooling and consume very less power and will provide great battery life..

Intel Core i5-8250U (Kaby Lake-R, 8th generation) benchmarks and early impressions

AMD Ryzen APU laptops are expected to be more efficient and they might provide better performance in sustained loads .. but that remains to be seen..

the i7 8550U should perform good because of higher average clock/better binned when throttled

Last edited:
OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@gta5 , He cannot postpone the purchase if this new arrival isn't sure by Diwali. And as sohan_92 questioned, even I think same. With the current big brand's mindset in India, it will most probably be out of budget. Maximum budget is 75K. He is keeping 2K extra for the new Keyboard and Mouse(must) and such.

@SaiyanGoku : I will ask him about this and update here. But I highly doubt if that's a option in this case.

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Guys, my friend can wait maximum for 45 days from today. If gen-8 arrival is late it's pointless to wait as he needs laptop for study purpose. Its strictly for the study purpose so he can't postpone more.

I am guessing we will have to settle down with Indian market as he has no contact in US. Atleast suggest some good configs within 75K INR.

Thanks In advance :)

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
budget shouldn't be a problem , if i7 laptops are out of budget then even Core i5 8250u is also a good processor.. farrrr better than 7th gen i7 U series ..

check this link i posted earlier..

Intel Core i5-8250U (Kaby Lake-R, 8th generation) benchmarks and early impressions

But availability and selection of models with 1080p screen/brand/service etc.. is a "gamble" though 45 days is a good time period .. i think there are good chances it will arrive by diwali

In my opinion your best option is to wait till diwali .. if there are still no signs of any 8th gen laptops launching soon in india by then , then buy 7th gen laptop during diwali offers and discounts ..

Last edited:

Pasapa

Live to die another day
Acer Nitro 5 Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) AN515-51 Gaming Laptop Rs.74990 Price in India - Buy Acer Nitro 5 Core i5 7th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) AN515-51 Gaming Laptop Black Online - Acer : Flipkart.com

This seems decent. Intel i5 7300hq with 1050ti and a decent ips display

OP
TheSloth

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Will the above processor be enough to run OS in virtual machines? My friend will use those virtual machines to test his applications, which might be resource hungry. I didn't ask in detail but he told me he needs more processing power.
He will also use dual boot but running apps in virtual OS is his requirements.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@gta5 already answered your query.It is better to wait for 8th gen core i laptops & if not available then buy a laptop with 7th gen i7,no need to go for 7th gen i5 unless it is the last remaining option.You don't need a good graphics card anyway so why pay for that in a laptop with 7th gen i5.

Top Bottom