Laptop for 70k inr?

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks everyone for help.

For those who are recommending Dell 15R, I am quite sure that CPU will be a huge bottleneck for that laptop. Gaming is not my sole purpose and in coming time I may have work with heavy CPU intensive applications. Also 8850M is an AMD card which has compatibility issues with various games like Battlefield 4 etc. In such games it will not be able to perform at it's full potential because of driver issues. Thus having an Nvidia card is not bad either, of-course 8850M would be faster than GT 740M, but i7 4500U is there to compensate the same and even make it worse.

On the other hand HP Envy 15 has a very powerful CPU and average GPU, the GT 740 M (with 64bit :-(). However, it will crush the Dell in CPU intensive applications but may lose in very high graphics demanding games.

Also HP has beats audio which will give better movie watching experience.

I am getting more inclined towards HP at the moment. I need you views on Envy 15 laptop which I mentioned.

Yes the ULV CPU is going to bottleneck the 8850M, but not just about the CPU or the GPU ...IS IT ?

Its their combined performance which determines how goof the laptop is going to be in games.

For eg take the US equivalent of the Envy j048( Core I7 4700MQ/GT 740M)

Review HP Envy 17t-j003 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

and a Dell system with a ULV CPU and the GT 750M( I am going to use it because there aren't any BM's available for the 8850M)

Review Dell Inspiron 15-7537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

If you compare the FPS levels in the Gaming Benchmarks section , you will notice that the ULV equipped Dell system crushes the HP system when it comes to providing FPS in games.( AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS)

Cheers!
Abhijit

man... y500 is well within your budget.

Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs. 68349.0 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Dusk Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

heres the link to flipkart.

and about its performance... it crushes all laptops out there except the laptops with gtx 760m and above.
Anyways.. Its your decision.

PS : word of advice... never compromise on the processor. I did with my old hp laptop and repented it later. given a choice between i7 Q and 750m.. choose the i7 Q cause during gaming....cause... unless u r using throttlestop... the processor will stay at its base-clock only.

And about the dell laptop.... the 750m in it will be bottlenecked by the i7 ulv as proven by Abhmkh. The 750m can touch 3000 levels in 3dmark11 with stock clocks provided its paired with a strong enough processor.

on a different note... the dell laptop is better than the hp laptop when it comes to gaming... cause the 740m with its 64bit bus will pretty much be useless when made to perform on a 1080p screen.

What are you talking about ? , According to notebook check, the maximum a GT 750M scores on 3d Mark 11 is 2735(Which I am sure must be with a Quad Core Proccy)

*www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

This means a system with a ULV CPU/GT750M-8850M scores only 5% less than a system with Quad Core/Same graphics.

I am happy to trade off that much performance for the spectacular battery life !

This means a system with a ULV CPU/GT750M-8850M scores only 5% less than a system with Quad Core/Same graphics.

I am happy to trade off that much performance for the spectacular battery life !

Battery life is important for me too. But Full HD screen & better looks made me buy Y500 instead of Samsung series 5.
That Dell laptop doesn't stand a chance aganist Y500 & Y510p in terms of performance. Battery life of Y510p is better than Y500. I get ~3hours in my laptop. Y510p should give ~4hrs (both considering normal usage, like watching movies)

Also the HP one doesn't have DVD drive, if you haven't noticed yet. The HP one looks better than Dell one, that's sure thing but personally Y500/Y510p with red backlit keyboard looks better

$hadow

Geek in making
I got mine for 73k with some goodies. So if you could try to bargain it out you can get a good deal on y510p.

OP
i72600k

i72600k

The Physicist!
I am getting Envy 15 J048tx at a discount of 5000 Rs. with free DVD drive, mouse and many other goodies from the dealer as HP has some tieup with the company.

Also i7 4700MQ with GT 740M can run any game out there on medium settings smoothly. In CPU intensive games like GTA 4, 4700MQ will perform good too. I have seen many videos of GT 740m on youtube with i5 3230m which runs high end games smoothly. Also 64bit interface of gt 740M will not be a much loss on 720p screen, though performance will drop but not significantly.

I have booked the laptop and is expecting delivery in 3-4 days. The i7 4500U simply doesn't makes sense for this price point! CPU bottleneck is the worst thing you can ever face. Thanks for help to all!

sakumar79

Technomancer
Sorry for the late reply, but you can try to ask the dealer to have Win8 Pro pre-installed on the laptop before shipping from HP rather than purchase it separately. If you can convince them, the cost increase from Win8 to Win8 Pro will be cut in half...

Hope that helps
Arun

$hadow

Geek in making
Sorry for the late reply, but you can try to ask the dealer to have Win8 Pro pre-installed on the laptop before shipping from HP rather than purchase it separately. If you can convince them, the cost increase from Win8 to Win8 Pro will be cut in half...

Hope that helps
Arun
Never heard about it can you please elaborate a bit more on this.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Actually my budget was 78-79K INR initially, but as per my office, I have to compulsorily install windows 8 professional over the regular windows 8 which will cost me 9.5K INR more. So it is not possible! I know y510p is a beast but I don't do that much gaming in laptop. I already have a decent gaming rig with gtx 460 in it!

Are your office people mad or what?

Why are they forcing Win8 Pro on you? if Gaming is not your priority then why not use Linux Mint/Ubuntu?

Ontopic: Lenovo Y510p is worth that extra money.

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
Yes the ULV CPU is going to bottleneck the 8850M, but not just about the CPU or the GPU ...IS IT ?

Its their combined performance which determines how goof the laptop is going to be in games.

For eg take the US equivalent of the Envy j048( Core I7 4700MQ/GT 740M)

Review HP Envy 17t-j003 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

and a Dell system with a ULV CPU and the GT 750M( I am going to use it because there aren't any BM's available for the 8850M)

Review Dell Inspiron 15-7537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

If you compare the FPS levels in the Gaming Benchmarks section , you will notice that the ULV equipped Dell system crushes the HP system when it comes to providing FPS in games.( AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS)

Cheers!
Abhijit

What are you talking about ? , According to notebook check, the maximum a GT 750M scores on 3d Mark 11 is 2735(Which I am sure must be with a Quad Core Proccy)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

what i'm saying is that my gt 750m hit approximately 2950 ( dnt remember exact ) with older drivers at stock clocks... wouldn't be surprised if its more than 3100 with the newer once installed.

I am getting Envy 15 J048tx at a discount of 5000 Rs. with free DVD drive, mouse and many other goodies from the dealer as HP has some tieup with the company.

Also i7 4700MQ with GT 740M can run any game out there on medium settings smoothly. In CPU intensive games like GTA 4, 4700MQ will perform good too. I have seen many videos of GT 740m on youtube with i5 3230m which runs high end games smoothly. Also 64bit interface of gt 740M will not be a much loss on 720p screen, though performance will drop but not significantly.

I have booked the laptop and is expecting delivery in 3-4 days. The i7 4500U simply doesn't makes sense for this price point! CPU bottleneck is the worst thing you can ever face. Thanks for help to all!

good choice man! thats a good lappy and 740m is a good gpu too! my friend has the z500 and the 740m gives decent performance at medium settings @ 768p!

Congrats on your purchase!

nandu26

In the zone
Yes, Provided you have the budget. The Y510P retails for 7-8K more than the Inspiron 15R, so IMHO the Inspiron 15R is the 2nd best if not the best gaming config available in the market in a price range of 60-75K and for a discount of 7-8k I am willing to make that compromise any day !

@Nandu : I haven't done any heavy gaming on it yet, but with normal tasks like we browsing, music, Full HD Movies etc the laptop as cold as a chilly december evening(If you understand that reference :wink:)

Also I will be doing a full review in sometime, so will post some pics then.

Cheers!
Abhijit

I want to know whether the backside of the touch screen gets hot after 2 hours of usage in Dell 15R

OP
i72600k

i72600k

The Physicist!
what i'm saying is that my gt 750m hit approximately 2950 ( dnt remember exact ) with older drivers at stock clocks... wouldn't be surprised if its more than 3100 with the newer once installed.

good choice man! thats a good lappy and 740m is a good gpu too! my friend has the z500 and the 740m gives decent performance at medium settings @ 768p!

Congrats on your purchase!
For 768p GT 740m is above average. But GT 750M or 8850M are overkill, lol! Only bought HP because of processor and macbook like design.

Top Bottom