Knock Knock! Suggestion for i7 Rig :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ashu888: thx for your time and a informative reply.
hey, not a problem dude.. :) since i hv the same Rig specs, so thought att i9 SHUD help other ppl out too.. :)

MB: But that isn't the Classified X58 SLI MB.
Do not worry and Do not doubt the Evga mobo Dude, i tested Sli on it (using my friend's spare gtx280) and believe me it is stable but gets hot (as im on stock cooler) and NOT even on TRUE :)

Gigabyte provides Water Block for Northbridge and not for the CPU. So, my question was, how to do cooling for both CPU and Northbridge ?
Well, yup i understand ur question, but I dnt think there is any cooling for the north bridge...(as yet) BUT,if u hv got a proper cooling (be it Air or water) for the Processor, its more than enough..believe me.. :)

HDD: Acc. to Chip June, I thought Seagate new 7200.12 has the best scores though I never checked for the performance of WD.
WD naming system of HDD confuses me ( Color naming ), hard to know which one is for performance.
ok, i do not doubt or question the scores of various HDDs, but even WD is the best and stable too..:) but i leave tat HDD selection on u (but, if u ask me, go for WD)

Monitor: This is where I need really some advice. Please suggest anything more than 24" for less than 28k.
I think in this department, i will go for DELL Ultrasharp always.. :)

And don't worry about GPU, it will be upgraded later.
Ok, then go for a gpu of ur choice, i think u wanna go for gtx275..

PSU: Confused more now, three suggestions and all suggesting three different make.
ok, on this i am Adament..lol. tat u get Tagan 1300W (if u wanna go for tri sli in future) model: Tagan BZ1300 pleaseeeeeeee..lol.. and its a ACTIVE PFC PSU, so it needs a Pure Sine wave UPS (i got APC, as i knw its the best and stable too)..

UPS: Big thanks for the advice here. In Pure Sine Wave range, is there anything less than 1500VA ? Since, 17k is little to much. Less than 10k would suffice.
Well, yup i too agree with u on tat steep price esp. of APC's Pure SIne Wave UPS :(

See, this link of all SMART UPS range of APC UPSes from 500VA to 3000VA but since u tell me tat u wanna Tri Sli or even SLi in future, then i think u SHUD go for a 1500VA SMART UPS range of APC UPS :)

a 1000VA wud be good, but i dunno if it can support Sli cards.. :(
even if it does, there will be jus no Back up time (in case of a power failure)
Please put more insight into ACTIVE PFC PSU, Back UPS ?
Well,

APC has 2 types of UPSes,

1.) SMART UPS: wich are pure Sine wave UPSes
2.) BACK UPS: wich are modified/ stepped Sine wave UPSes

also, Corsair and Tagan PSUs are ACTIVE PFC PSUs and they require ONLY PURE SINE WAVE UPS :)

Actually, Tagan & Corsair has 8-pin or only 6-pin PCIE connectors whereas some Graphic Cards require both. So, I selected CoolerMaster. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Well, the 8 pin is actually 6+2 pin type of connector so jus dnt worry abt tat connection, those PSUes are designed keeping in mind all the connectors possible, even for future upgrades..

One more thing at Lamington Road, is there any better shop than Itwares to give better bargain ?

Waiting for your advice since I have take a decision in one or max two days.

theitwares.com is the BEST out there, believe me, even i surveyed 2-3shops and also Dealers, and he (theitwares.com guy) gave me the best price...
---------------

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
@desiibond: thx for info. bro.

@ashu888: thx for reply bro. :)

Now, after reading few reviews, I am now thinking for Tagan 1300W or Corsair 1000W. Are both Modular ?

And please point me to the link of APC India website of your exact model no. of UPS.

Since, there are many Series under Smart-UPS. So please do this bro ? :p

Is it necessary that PSU Watt should be equal to UPS Watt ?

Since 1500VA = Around 980Watt

What I need is backup time of only 10min to shut down the PC ? But I think if power consumption at times is more than 1Kw and electricity goes off then 1500VA UPS won't be able to take the load.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ashu888: thx for reply bro. :)

Now, after reading few reviews, I am now thinking for Tagan 1300W or Corsair 1000W. Are both Modular ?
yup, both are modular but tagan has LED lights with its PSU (which gets lit ON wen PSU is working) So it kida givs a cool effect, check core i7 thread in my siggy for pics on 1st page :)

And please point me to the link of APC India website of your exact model no. of UPS.

Since, there are many Series under Smart-UPS. So please do this bro ? :p

Is it necessary that PSU Watt should be equal to UPS Watt ?
here u go ---> *www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1500i

this is wat i also hv, and NO, the VA rating is more important and NOT the wattage, so ur 1300W tagan PSU will work absolutely gr8 with this 1500VA UPS from APC :)

What I need is backup time of only 10min to shut down the PC ? But I think if power consumption at times is more than 1Kw and electricity goes off then 1500VA UPS won't be able to take the load.

naa, its not the case, infact, the UPS'
s battery gets charged up every time the UPS is in operation and even if electricity goes as soon as u power ON ur rig, then also u will get sufficient amt of back up time to safely shut down ur PC.. :)
--------------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
@ashu888: Indeed, your case looks great.

First, thx for keeping patience. :D

Can Smart-UPS of rating lower than 1500VA give 10min of backup to 1000Watt PSU ?

I think I won't be able to reach Tri-SLI since after release of GTX3xx, GTX275 will be out. And nVIDIA doesn't support great feature of Crossfire i.e. SLI of different range of graphic cards within the same family. Sad!

Any idea of Sound Cards ?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ashu888: Indeed, your case looks great.
Thanx.. :D

First, thx for keeping patience. :D
not a problem dude, come on..really :)

Can Smart-UPS of rating lower than 1500VA give 10min of backup to 1000Watt PSU ?
Well, to tell u really franky, i haven't tested tat duration of 10mins (on my very own 1500VA+1100tagan PSU) but yes, it gives a stable 7-8 mins of back up time :) so be rest assured...

I think I won't be able to reach Tri-SLI since after release of GTX3xx, GTX275 will be out. And nVIDIA doesn't support great feature of Crossfire i.e. SLI of different range of graphic cards within the same family. Sad!

Any idea of Sound Cards ?
yup right, for SLi u hv to hv the same level of GPUs :)

but, dnt worry so much further down the road dear, get the things tat are in ur budget adn enjoy ur rig, :)

as it is, its the companies strategy business to phase out (jus for utter competition and NOT keeping in mind, the emotions of users/buyers who spend so much on their rigs jus to see their components PHASE OUT by such companies) components :evil::evil:

btw, no idea of sound card, but desiibond has already replied to ur query.. :)
Sound card:

ASUS Xonar DX
Creative X-Fi Titanium or XtremeGamer
thanx for this desii, btw, wats the prices ??

as even i wanna get a sound card :)
-------------

Cheers n e-peace....

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
xonar DX should costs around 3k and X-Fi XtremeGamer price is around 5.5k and Titanium should be around 7k if I am right.

Also, if you want kickass performance from sound card, check X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro.

amitash

Intel OCer
You have an amazing budget and its a sin not to go for a gtx295 with it...
Sacrifice the blu-ray drive, maybe one HDD or a smaller monitor and get the gtx295 and change mobo to evga x58 classified...youll end up with something like what i have.

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
@desibond: Between Gamer and DX which one would you choose ?

Does both Titanium and Gamer have processor of X-Fi Series or Audigy ?

@ashu888: 1500VA can give only 7-8min of backup... oops

What is the cost of your UPS battery ?

After reading your philosophical dialogue once I thought not to buy the machine altogether. Lol, but you are certainly right bro. :)

I think Step Up/Down UPS would be suitable for me because there is lot of voltage fluctuation here but it also might be more costly.

@amitash: Nforce200 759 Classified aint available.

Between, do you have Logitech G15 V2 Gaming Keyboard (2007) Second Generation, 19.5" x 10.5" or old G15 (2005) ? How about its performance ? Does it have a soft keys like Laptop ? :)

amitash

Intel OCer
I have the v2 g15...I love it, for gaming its unbeatable but for typing, i can type faster on my laptop, thats mainly because the keys on my laptop are very close together whereas keys are widely spaced in the g15 so that you accidently dont hit the key you were not meaning to hit...

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
thx desibond bro. :p

Does anybody here knows where one can get EVGA X58 SLI Classified ? Even non-nforce200 will suffice.

@amitash: thx for a short review. :)

Bro, how much is the latency of your DDR3 memory ? I have selected Corsair CAS8 for 14k.

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
^Its supposed to be 9-9-9-24....But im an Overclocker and the RAM has ALOT more potential than 9-9-9-24 so i run it at 8-8-8-24 with the procy at 3.5Ghz 24x7...the same timings as the dominators you want to buy....IMO those dominators arent worth it...I paid 6k for my RAM and you can get them now from KMD in india for 6.5k, you are about to pay more than double for nothing and even if you dont OC, it will barely give you any improvement...7k is not worth it for an extra 2-4fps if you ask me....save the cash and spend it on a gtx295

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
Still no info. regarding Classified X58. :(

I am too interested in overclocking esp. 4Ghz. I got interested in EVGA when I read many reviews that you can easily go to stable 4ghz even on air.

I read here someone got Classified from Phoenix for 19k. But, what is the address of his shop ?

Please help since I need to cancel my Extreme order which I have already done.

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
EVGA is gr8 for OCing...I got mine to 4Ghz stable on water.

Please tell how much water cooling kit (block, radiator, pump) cost you and its make ?

For tri sli and water cooling which cabinet would be good ? I am inclining towards Antec 1200 ( I hope its good for water cooling ) because Cosmos S doesnt have much space. Can Side Panel Transparent modding done to it ? Does EATX for Evga sli necessary ? :p

For air cooling, how is CoolerMaster V8 ? How much overclock I can achieve with it ? I hope there is enough space around the cpu to accommodate it. :D

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
^I was on a bidget so i bought the cooler master aquagate s1 for only 4k...Only, because of the large PWM heatsink on my evga board, i had to mod my antec 900 cabby by removing a front intake fan and replacing it with the radiator...The aquagate s1 is a decent cooler for its price and although i can get stable 4Ghz, temps go upto 80C so i cant keep it 24x7...I can manage 3.7-3.8Ghz with <75C though...curently i keep it at 3.4Ghz 24x7....frankly you dont even need to OC the procy if your gaming as its not a bottleneck for ANY gfx card....If you are new to OCing and case modding i suggest an air cooling kit...get the prolimatech megahalem for 3.7k here: *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=6058...that can take you to 4Ghz.

As for cabby, even i like the antec 1200, take a look at the CM HAf's too. and EATX is not reqd....And anyway, i dont recomned tri-sli...its a huge waste of cash, and scaling is low....Try to get a gtx295 or gtx275 sli which gives slightly better perf than a single gtx295.

Look at the slight W/C case moding ive done in the showoff thread in chit chat section

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
xonar DX should costs around 3k and X-Fi XtremeGamer price is around 5.5k and Titanium should be around 7k if I am right.

Also, if you want kickass performance from sound card, check X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro.
Thanx for the prices dude.. :)
You have an amazing budget and its a sin not to go for a gtx295 with it...
Sacrifice the blu-ray drive, maybe one HDD or a smaller monitor and get the gtx295 and change mobo to evga x58 classified...youll end up with something like what i have.
I agree with u totally,

to Arnold: do away with the BLU RAY drive, its jus unnecessary and buy a LCD upto 24"
@ashu888: 1500VA can give only 7-8min of backup... oops

What is the cost of your UPS battery ?
Well, i hv NOT purchased a battery separately (or an extra batt for tat matter, but u can certainly buy extra (external) batteries from APC for tat UPS to increase ur back up time) :)

Also, i hv really not tested the exact back up time of the UPS dude, if u want i'll test it adn post back here.. but im sure its in excess of 10mins.. :)

After reading your philosophical dialogue once I thought not to buy the machine altogether. Lol, but you are certainly right bro. :)

I think Step Up/Down UPS would be suitable for me because there is lot of voltage fluctuation here but it also might be more costly.
thnax, for reading all my lengthy dialogues..lol... :D

for tat PSU (tagan or corsair, wich are Active PFC PSUes) do get a PURE since wave UPS and NOT a step up-down (stepped or modified) UPS please....

--------------

=================================
=================================

@ arnold: dude, once u hv built up ur core i7 system , do post ur config here ---> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1067701#post1067701 :)
---------------------

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
A

arnold991

Broken In
how much temperature range is safe for 24/7 overclock ? I was very much sanguine about Water Cooling ability but 4Ghz at 80C is way too much.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

well, initially, run ur system at its stock speed (i.e 2.66Ghz fora corei7 920) coz its also way too fast adn smooth, i play all my games (GRID, DIRT, Crysys, Bioshock, Mass effect) with max settings adn the system is really stable in delivering top notch performance :)

so, jus do not OC it jus coz every1's been doin it.. :) (later if u wanna run graphics intensive apps) then only go for OC.. :)

as u will be surprised with the sheer speed and smoothness of a i7 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom