KIS 12.0.0.374 - Continuous High CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Hi all,

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 12.0.0.374 [fully updated database]. Its a real quiet anti-virus, works quietly in the background and has never had any conflicts/problems.

Day before yesterday, I installed MATLAB R2009b. Installation was error free. But a few minutes after the installation completion, my PC slowed down and showed unendurable lagging. I opened up Task Manager and noticed avp.exe CPU usage >25%. I thought may be it was due to scanning of the MATLAB files. But a couple of hours into it, the usage remained above 25%.
I restarted my PC and it came back to normal. However, some time after the restart, the CPU usage went up to 25% again...
I uninstalled some of the unnecessary components of MATLAB, thinking that maybe the scan time would go down, but to no result. I even manually scanned the MATLAB install folder, but the result is same.

Normal usage:
*imageshack.us/a/img402/5480/avp2.gif

Elevated usage:
*imageshack.us/a/img822/189/avp.gif

Please help... my proccy stays hot for the whole time and its a considerable problem in this temperature, not to mention the damn slowing down and lag.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Upgrade to KIS 2013 Latest. It's much more streamlined than KIS 2012. Not sure whether this will help much. As KIS will scan the newer files anyway.

Though after reading your Config, I don't think it's a normal problem. As I also have almost same config and never faced this issue. Even when I was on Dual Core with 2GB RAM, I didn't face this with KIS.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I was on KIS 2012, but after upgrading to Win 8 recently around a month ago I moved to KIS 2013 as KIS 2012 is not compatible with Win 8.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
this is well known issue with KIS. just update software to latest release.
if you are interested in knowing why its happening, search their forum. i didn't bookmarked so...

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i changed over to avast... and quite good, i must say..

does anyone know how to schedule the update downloading?

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
This thing happened to me also, when I installed KIS 2013. avp.exe took high CPU as well as RAM. But after updating Database and it comes down to normal. Check if it is scanning in background, or disable KIS protection for some times.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^never used to bog down my CPU before until that very day. KIS was feather light. never used to interfere with other tasks and i kept it running all the time.

now im pretty impressed with Avast.

maybe i'll switch back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom