Kernel Panic... Giving me a Panic Attack!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
here goes the problem...>

Aim : Initial aim was to install Fedora 4, later changed to "any" flavor of linux :(

I recieve the following error :
Kernel Panic- Not Syncing : Attempting to kill init

This is the only message i get from any number of media i try( CD/ DVD ) ,any version/flavor of software i try to install(have tried fedore4,3,SuSE,Mandrake,Unbuntu) and from where i try to install be it on virtual PC or be it on a seperate hard disc.

After searching on net,have tried "garbage" workaround, but it didn't worked

Damn i cant understand what the problem is this time,have installed various versions so many times before ..

Help Guys.... :cry:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
try passing the following arguement to the installer.

Code:
linux pci=nosort

BTW, are you using a MSI mobo ?

OP
G

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
lol...done that already...found this suggestion while searchin on some forum

no..the mobo is intel 915gav...i have installed various OS on the same seetings and hardware before!!

EDIT : After trying soooo many diff OS...debian,DSL etc...ARK Linux worked...God knows how!! It also stopped for about 2 secs on the same error message but again moved on...have installed it on virtual PC though...

OP
G

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
just wanted to ask u guys...i was about to go ahead and download Fedora 5, should i go ahead or it will also have this cr@p error message??

eddie

El mooooo
Looks like you have some BIOS problem. You have two solutions:
1) Find an update to your mobo BIOS and install it.
2) Get the latest kernel sources and compile it somehow. Use it to boot the system and then use your CD to install.

OP
G

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Finally had it installed....!!!!!!

I kept searching the net for almost 3 hours...and never found any solution that worked...had BIOS updated too...

Then i thought of downloading fedora 5,but before that i thought of reading some reviews.In one such review i caught a line saying "its installation with nvidia cards is a breeze as compared to earlier versions" ... this got me thinking that it can be somewhat related to nvidia graphics card iam using?
i removed the card,enable the onboard graphics and started the installation..finished without a glitch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom