Keep getting "All settings were set to default" message while booting PC

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So it's weird because I tried changing the CMOS battery. But that doesn't stop the message I get when I boot my PC for the first time everyday. I have to manually press F2 everytime which is #MildlyInfuriating

photo_2018-09-01_09-15-49.jpg

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Since you have changed the CMOS battery, it's likely that it might not be making a firm contact with the socket. Just try pulling it out and re-inserting it with bit more force.

If you are on Windows use app called HWiNFO and check what VBat voltage it reports?
Is it around 3.xx V or even lesser?

If you have a digital multimeter, then completely power down the PC, remove the power cord. Long press Power Switch on the PC case for 4 - 5 seconds. Now while the CMOS battery is in its socket, set DMM to DC Voltage, connect V+ to the top of battery and insert Grond wire to any free molex socket black wire pin. What Voltage does the DMM report?

Last edited:
Reactions: nac
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I tried resetting the battery. Didn't work. What is vbat voltage? Attaching the voltages which HWInfo shows.
Screenshot 2018-09-01 20.34.33.png

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Oh I used HWMonitor instead of HWInfo. My bad.

The VBAT shows following in my case:
Screenshot 2018-09-01 21.04.09.png

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Your VBAT is OK but that's when system is powered ON. However if possible do try to check Vbat using a DMM when system is completely off and power cord removed and any static dissipated by pressing power switch for 4 - 5 seconds. However it should be measured with battery in its socket.

What is the brand and price of CMOS battery that you used. There are those available for even 20 Rs, 40 Rs and 100 Rs. Generally good quality once like Panasonic are bit expensive but more reliable.

What if you set your BIOS to fail safe defaults just for testing purposes?
What if you remove all HDD/SSDs DVD etc and just try to boot PC with min config, even bare min RAM just a single stick or so?
Does the msg still appear?

Refresh BIOS or Upgrade BIOS to latest if any, might be an option but leave it as a last resort if nothing else works.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Those are some good suggestions. I don't know how to use a DMM. However I have one at home.

The work required to troubleshoot seems far greater than just to press the F2 key, while booting. Also the time resets every boot, so I have to set it too. For now it would work, until I find time to troubleshoot. If and when I do I will report the progress.

Thanks.

Top Bottom