JPG files getting currupted

anvesh

Broken In
Hi ! Some of my jpg (no other files) are getting corrupted. It is getting corrupted in three ways and files are totally random.
1. Some of files became 0 kb files
2. Some of them shows files size but do not generate thumbnail and I can't open it in any photo viewer. In windows photo viewer it shows error "we can't open this file" . In adobe photoshop it shows "unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found"
3. Some of them became grey in half portion. I can still open it but most of the data are lost in photo

I have changed SATA data cable, checked hard disk for error several times, and checked for virus with paid Kaspersky and K7 antivirus but all are in vain. I am still loosing 2 to 3 jpgs everyday randomly.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
also
-Just ensure that the file is indeed unreadable even from live linux distro.
-take back up of all your jpgs and other image files elsewhere on a pen drive say. Preferably use live linux for the same
-look for any suspicious process in process explorer
-not too sure but a file may have an identifier (I don't know the internals exactly) at some hex address indicating it's an image file. explore more and open the damaged file in hex editor and check if the identifier is lost or so and try to recreate that identifier in case a malware is damaging that leaving the data intact. This is a guess, I really don't know the file internals. Explore more.
-check HDD/SSD for SMART Parameters. It should be Healthy status. Use app like CrystalDiskInfo
-check the modified date of jpg's in question. Do you find any thing suspicious there. e.g a photo that you never accessed in months show a recent modified date?
-How old is the HDD?
-the damaged jpgs, are all on a single partition or across two/three partitions?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
How did you check your hdd for error?If you used crystaldiskinfo free,can you post its screenshot here showing all values(edit the hdd serial no. in screenshot).

Top Bottom