New to this forum
Hello,

I am using Asus K53SM laptop.

It has 4GB RAM

2GB Graphics ( NVIDIA GT630M)

2.5GHz Intel i5 Processor

SCREENSHOT LINK :
*drive.google.com/file/d/0B6QHkc_-AYiKYWhSVXliMWdnU1U/view?usp=sharing

I have been using the laptop since 2012.
I am an engineering student, so I use it for movies,internet browsing,wifi and ocassional gaming like Counterstrike/NFS sometimes.

AS SHOWN IN THE SCREENSHOT, MY LAPTOP HAS BEEN HEATING LIKE HELL RECENTLY.
THE TEMPERATURES GO UPTO 85 degree celcius.
Thats really hot, it can melt a small chocolate bar.

MY QUESTION IS:
Do you think this heating is normal or should I seek the service centre and fix the heating ???

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Although laptops can handle such temperatures fine, I'd suggest you and get your Laptop serviced. There's probably dust accumulated at the cooling vents which is causing overheating.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
avoid using your laptop on the bed.. the fabric blocks air intake and sucks in a lot of dust.

coming to your question, if you regularly use your laptop at that temp, its life will shorten considerably. place it on a table/rigid surface so that the vents are not blocked, and avoid gaming for long hours. also, dont use charger while watching movies/browsing. take a full charge and discharge it over normal use. ;)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
avoid using your laptop on the bed.. the fabric blocks air intake and sucks in a lot of dust.

coming to your question, if you regularly use your laptop at that temp, its life will shorten considerably. place it on a table/rigid surface so that the vents are not blocked, and avoid gaming for long hours. also, dont use charger while watching movies/browsing. take a full charge and discharge it over normal use . ;)
1. Only true if the vents are at the bottom
2. IMO use it on ac power whenever possible, use battery for emergencies only.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
+1 to always on AC mode+setting to keep the battery charge level at 50-60%(All new laptops have this setting).
Draining the battery everyday will cause it to wear out.

retz

Broken In
Get it serviced.
1) Clean out vents.
2) Check out the thermal paste, may need replacing. If possible, buy your own thermal paste rather than use OEM stuff. Z5 is decent and you can get it for 400~.
3) Since your graphics processor was very active, I'm assuming you were gaming or some other graphics intensive task. If you weren't and your graphics card is always at 50+C~, then you might have a driver issue. Use DDU to clean system of nvidea drivers and install new ones.
4) Batteries late in life tend to produce slightly more heat.
5) Using laptop for convenience (on battery whenever needed) does tend to shorten battery life. Be prepared to shell out a few thousand around once every 1 or 1.5 years with that kind of usage. (Cheaper if you can get a decent generic battery.)

Top Bottom