Is there any Rescue Disk that's UEFI boot capable

patkim

Cyborg Agent
As we know there's this Hiren boot CD (I think the latest v is 15.2)that's a bootable rescue disk with many freeware tools on it. it is however not compliant with UEFI system. You would need to enable CSM to boot off it on UEFI.

I am wondering if there exists any rescue disk similar to Hiren that's actually UEFI Boot capable?

I am imagining a scenario where the newer OEM Windows laptops may fundamentally not offer CSM any more. Basically a Class-3 UEFI system.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use rufus to create multiple UEFI compatible live linux distro iso though secure boot support,even if officially supported by distro, may be not so stable.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes Thanks for the input. That's an option but it would be a UEFI bootable Linux Distro may not be a full fledged rescue disk with host of tools on it. It may just have a very few like GParted, SMARTCTL etc

I found one called All in One - System Rescue Toolkit on the net but even though the site claims it's UEFI bootable, I have hard time booting it in VMWare with EFI option. It fails to boot from ISO. The ISO when opened in power iso does show Bootable status though.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Right now I don't have a true UEFI Complaint PC or Laptop. I can get an access to Asus Windows 8.1 Laptop in sometime though. My current PC has Gigabyte Hybrid EFI board that with very primitive EFI technology would automatically fall back to BIOS mode booting if EFI mode fails. So by forcing VMWare to EFI, I can eliminate that ambiguity of either EFI or BIOS boot.

Top Bottom