Is samsung going downwards in quality?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
As a pretty long term Samsung user I can say, yes. The quality of older Samsung phones was WAY better than what it is now. I remember phones like INNOV8, or even Samsung Wave, they were fantastic and actually better than other phones at that time, then even in Android Galaxy S2 was very good, everything started going south from Galaxy S3, I mean for build quality, it was utter rubbish. Same can be said for Note 2, Galaxy S4 etc.

This doesn't mean they are the worst, the king of cheapness and ultra fragility is still LG. S5 is a phone from which Samsung has started to dial it back, Alpha seems pretty nice too, let's see. As long as they don't use stupid glass on phones it's okay.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
While this can be said for their budget lineup, their premium lineup still is AWSOME!

I recently bought a Galaxy S5(octa-core) and out of the three anroid's I have a used till date, it is the BEST !. You can talk about design all you want but in the end an awsome screen,blazing performance and great battery life is what make an excellent smartphone.Samsung delivers on all these aspects with the SGS5

I personally don't mind the plastic build as long as it feels solid in the hand.I agree they overprice their products initially but whoever has observed Samsung carefully will tell you that after a month or two the prices drop by a huge margin.

I think, companies like HTC and Sony blatantly overprice their products and don't lower the prices even with the passage of time.

To sum up I think that Samsung isn't offering much for your money in the budget segment, but in the premium segment it still is one of the best if not THE.

Cheers!
Abhijit

.jRay.

Youngling
Samsung was cr@p from the beginning of the android era. (except S2). But rest of the phones were cr@p. They give useless features in exchange for feel and usability.

Started from the bottom, now even below.

OP
TechnoBOY

TechnoBOY

Padawan
While this can be said for their budget lineup, their premium lineup still is AWSOME!

I recently bought a Galaxy S5(octa-core) and out of the three anroid's I have a used till date, it is the BEST !. You can talk about design all you want but in the end an awsome screen,blazing performance and great battery life is what make an excellent smartphone.Samsung delivers on all these aspects with the SGS5

I personally don't mind the plastic build as long as it feels solid in the hand.I agree they overprice their products initially but whoever has observed Samsung carefully will tell you that after a month or two the prices drop by a huge margin.

I think, companies like HTC and Sony blatantly overprice their products and don't lower the prices even with the passage of time.

To sum up I think that Samsung isn't offering much for your money in the budget segment, but in the premium segment it still is one of the best if not THE.

Cheers!
Abhijit

my dad has s5 ,still i cant feel any quality [MENTION=99398]ithehappy[/MENTION] yea s2 way way better than s5 .

- - - Updated - - -

Samsung was cr@p from the beginning of the android era. (except S2). But rest of the phones were cr@p. They give useless features in exchange for feel and usability.

Started from the bottom, now even below.
yea even agree with you ,galaxy y was better than grand 2 ,not chosing samsung for any more :-x and their useless sensors and sm crap features

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
s5 only had a decent camera but its highly oversaturated and unnatural,just like their LED tvs display
other than that samsung sucks
my aunt bought a samsung led tv 65" and a galaxy s4 a while back
both gave trouble within a month,samsung wanted 40k for the tv repairs despite being under warranty and the technician who came ,didnt even open up the tv,just said it for the heck of it and 20k for her s4 dead pixel issues again despite warranty
she finally sold her s4 and got a lumia 1520 on my advice,shes much happier with the 1520
as for her tv,she called a local technician who found out the problem wasnt in the tv but in the power socket in her house,when he changed it,it worked perfect again,all for 400 bucks
not just that,within 3 months her TVs capacitors blew out and the tv got the notorious samsung 15 minute on-off problem
samsung wanted her to shell out 29k for it,she got it done from the local guy again who charged her 2k for new capacitors and said that samsung uses really cheap a55 pathetic capacitors and that the capacitors he brought were a bit pricey but works better for all his customers and he was right,on further googling,i found this to be true

R2K

In the Zone
I exchanged my Sony Arc S for Grand 2 as everyone around me owns a samdung device. Grand 2 is much faster but I really miss the build quality of SOny. Should have gone for HTC or other SONY device.

OP
TechnoBOY

TechnoBOY

Padawan
I exchanged my Sony Arc S for Grand 2 as everyone around me owns a samdung device. Grand 2 is much faster but I really miss the build quality of SOny. Should have gone for HTC or other SONY device.
yea build quality is really cheap!!should have gone for sm other hate grand 2 :-x

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well every brand has gone worse to be quite honest. hTC and Nokia were the monsters when it was about build, but hTC's QC has gone down. Look at how many M8 device has that camera lens scratching issue. Nokia is hanging in there though, still solid.
So what you wanna get? Sony? The only practical Sony phone is Xperia ZL IMHO. Because it doesn't use that pathetic glass at back! God knows what's up with them using stupid glass on phones! So Sony is out. They also have ridiculously huge bezel.
LG? Absolutely no comment. Utter garbage.
Well S5 is still IMHO the second best build phone after the M8, and maybe the E8 is also there. And their AMOLED panels are still best, again IMHO. It just takes 10 seconds to switch to a more saturated profile like Cinema or Professional, you can even fine tune it too, I personally am not a fan of LCD displays on mobile phones, as long as I don't do any photographic works on my phone, does anyone do anyway? So I don't think it's meaningful to bring their AMOLED panels as a con, it's actually their best feature.

And there are dedicated forums on internet for almost everything, so there's one for televisions too, HDTVTEST.UK. I hate it when someone wishes to spend 100k or something and don't do the minimum research. I haven't seen they recommended any Samsung television below 100k, it's all Sony and Panny. So just like mobile phones only their extreme high end televisions are good. Now I might be a beggar, I earn around 150k p.m and I think spending anymore than 100 or 120k is meaningless behind a television, but I know people who consider spending 300k, then he/she might consider Samsung.

I never was a fan of Samsung, but when I look around (that rotten fruit company, or Sony going crazy with both build quality and ridiculous pricing, Nokia releasing 930 after three months from announcement, and their best thing, the camera IMHO is just average, M8's camera lens scratch issue) then I just have to make a practical decision. All I can say is that the hatred behind them is extremely bubbled up.

Anyway, I personally will like my favourite brand come back and take the top spot for quality control, and make more phones like X-ZL, and be practical about Indian surroundings and make the earpiece clean and loud, and STOP with dinosaurous bezel for God's sake, yeah it's Sony :D I have respect for them because they were the ONLY brand w/o didn't dumb down specs with their XZ1 Compact, that definitely deserves some credit.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Well every brand has gone worse to be quite honest. hTC and Nokia were the monsters when it was about build, but hTC's QC has gone down. Look at how many M8 device has that camera lens scratching issue. Nokia is hanging in there though, still solid.
So what you wanna get? Sony? The only practical Sony phone is Xperia ZL IMHO. Because it doesn't use that pathetic glass at back! God knows what's up with them using stupid glass on phones! So Sony is out. They also have ridiculously huge bezel.
LG? Absolutely no comment. Utter garbage.
Well S5 is still IMHO the second best build phone after the M8, and maybe the E8 is also there. And their AMOLED panels are still best, again IMHO. It just takes 10 seconds to switch to a more saturated profile like Cinema or Professional, you can even fine tune it too, I personally am not a fan of LCD displays on mobile phones, as long as I don't do any photographic works on my phone, does anyone do anyway? So I don't think it's meaningful to bring their AMOLED panels as a con, it's actually their best feature.

And there are dedicated forums on internet for almost everything, so there's one for televisions too, HDTVTEST.UK. I hate it when someone wishes to spend 100k or something and don't do the minimum research. I haven't seen they recommended any Samsung television below 100k, it's all Sony and Panny. So just like mobile phones only their extreme high end televisions are good. Now I might be a beggar, I earn around 150k p.m and I think spending anymore than 100 or 120k is meaningless behind a television, but I know people who consider spending 300k, then he/she might consider Samsung.

I never was a fan of Samsung, but when I look around (that rotten fruit company, or Sony going crazy with both build quality and ridiculous pricing, Nokia releasing 930 after three months from announcement, and their best thing, the camera IMHO is just average, M8's camera lens scratch issue) then I just have to make a practical decision. All I can say is that the hatred behind them is extremely bubbled up.

Anyway, I personally will like my favourite brand come back and take the top spot for quality control, and make more phones like X-ZL, and be practical about Indian surroundings and make the earpiece clean and loud, and STOP with dinosaurous bezel for God's sake, yeah it's Sony :D I have respect for them because they were the ONLY brand w/o didn't dumb down specs with their XZ1 Compact, that definitely deserves some credit.

yep totally agree
if there are two brands id trust blindly with my money its sony and nokia
great service,build and its always been a status symbol

the 930,630 and 730 didnt wow me just like it didnt wow you but the 830 looks promising going by leaks

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
s5 only had a decent camera but its highly oversaturated and unnatural,just like their LED tvs display
other than that samsung sucks
my aunt bought a samsung led tv 65" and a galaxy s4 a while back
both gave trouble within a month,samsung wanted 40k for the tv repairs despite being under warranty and the technician who came ,didnt even open up the tv,just said it for the heck of it and 20k for her s4 dead pixel issues again despite warranty
she finally sold her s4 and got a lumia 1520 on my advice,shes much happier with the 1520
as for her tv,she called a local technician who found out the problem wasnt in the tv but in the power socket in her house,when he changed it,it worked perfect again,all for 400 bucks
not just that,within 3 months her TVs capacitors blew out and the tv got the notorious samsung 15 minute on-off problem
samsung wanted her to shell out 29k for it,she got it done from the local guy again who charged her 2k for new capacitors and said that samsung uses really cheap a55 pathetic capacitors and that the capacitors he brought were a bit pricey but works better for all his customers and he was right,on further googling,i found this to be true

I guess the GSMARENA guys were wrong when they gave the Galaxy S5 title of the best anroid camera

Camera shootout: Six enter, only one leaves - GSMArena.com

- - - Updated - - -

my dad has s5 ,still i cant feel any quality [MENTION=99398]ithehappy[/MENTION] yea s2 way way better than s5 .

- - - Updated - - -

yea even agree with you ,galaxy y was better than grand 2 ,not chosing samsung for any more :-x and their useless sensors and sm crap features

And what exactly do you mean by quality ?(besides build quality)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I guess the GSMARENA guys were wrong when they gave the Galaxy S5 title of the best anroid camera

- - - Updated - - -

butthurt sammy fanboy alert
why would i trust someone(gsmarena) off the internet who is probably paid to write biased reviews
ive used the GS4,GS5,LG G2,LG G3,all the lumias and xperias and ofcourse my nexus 5,lumia 720,lumia 820,Nikon D90,Canon 1200D
and that proves my point-i am into photography for a while now i know colours,saturation etc much better than alot of people especially the notorious gsmarena peeps who were proven to be biased to certain android phones after they were busted for misinformation in a few of their reviews by Mobile Nations
ive used alot of phones,cameras etc but even if samsung has a pretty decent camera on their phones,its still oversaturated and looks unnatural,their TVs also have this
if you look at their displays and camera photos you will notice they are a bit too vibrant and bright,but its unnatural
while people will be attracted to their products initially they realize it was a mistake very soon either because they realize their build is pathetic or they notice the unnatural tinge in the photos/display

even exynos is a joke
octa core my foot,i can tape a million cpus together and call it a million core but its not

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
butthurt sammy fanboy alert
why would i trust someone(gsmarena) off the internet who is probably paid to write biased reviews
ive used the GS4,GS5,LG G2,LG G3,all the lumias and xperias and ofcourse my nexus 5,lumia 720,lumia 820,Nikon D90,Canon 1200D
and that proves my point-i am into photography for a while now i know colours,saturation etc much better than alot of people especially the notorious gsmarena peeps who were proven to be biased to certain android phones after they were busted for misinformation in a few of their reviews by Mobile Nations
ive used alot of phones,cameras etc but even if samsung has a pretty decent camera on their phones,its still oversaturated and looks unnatural,their TVs also have this
if you look at their displays and camera photos you will notice they are a bit too vibrant and bright,but its unnatural
while people will be attracted to their products initially they realize it was a mistake very soon either because they realize their build is pathetic or they notice the unnatural tinge in the photos/display

even exynos is a joke
octa core my foot,i can tape a million cpus together and call it a million core but its not

Lol, rage much ?, sammy hater detected !.

BTW, gsmarena has much more credibilty than you do, so I am inclined to believe gsmarena and not you.

You can hate it as much as you want, but it's not going to change the fact that the SGS5 is one of the top smartphones on the market today.

I agree SAMOLEDS's were oversaturated in the past(SGS3 and SGS4) but the screen of SGS5 is on a completely different level.

It can offer non-saturated color reproduction(cinema mode) along with zero black levels.In short it offers the best of both worlds.Dark and night scenes look spectacular on the screen(as with other SAMOLED's)

Yes, the octa core chip might be a gimmick but the phone is blazing fast and matches the SD801(2.5 Ghz) in benchmarks, it even surpasses the SD 801(2.5 Ghz) in CPU benchmarks due to the 8 cores running in synergy.So there really isn't anything to complain about.

I have used good phones with IPS LCD displays in the past(HTC ONE X and LG OPTIMUS G), and if Samsung continues to build such awsome SAMOLED displays(like the SGS5) I am going to stick to samsung for my next upgrade.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

BTW, gsmarena has much more credibilty than you do, so I am inclined to believe gsmarena and not you.

You can hate it as much as you want, but it's not going to change the fact that the SGS5 is one of the top smartphones on the market today.

I agree SAMOLEDS's were oversaturated in the past(SGS3 and SGS4) but the screen of SGS5 is on a completely different level.

It can offer non-saturated color reproduction(cinema mode) along with zero black levels.In short it offers the best of both worlds.Dark and night scenes look spectacular on the screen(as with other SAMOLED's)

Yes, the octa core chip might be a gimmick but the phone is blazing fast and matches the SD801(2.5 Ghz) in benchmarks, it even surpasses the SD 801(2.5 Ghz) in CPU benchmarks due to the 8 cores running in synergy.So there really isn't anything to complain about.

I have used good phones with IPS LCD displays in the past(HTC ONE X and LG OPTIMUS G), and if Samsung continues to build such awsome SAMOLED displays(like the SGS5) I am going to stick to samsung for my next upgrade.

yeah right
im the samsung hater just because im the only samsung hater in this thread(sarcasm)
well a samsung fanboy alert for you,you came to this thread about how bad samsung has become
you are the only one defending samsung here for bs reasons and im the hater
as for your above points,keep dreaming
keep believing gsmarena,they are param aatmas right
you arent elligible to decide whether they are credible or no,mobile nations certainly is
GS5 top smartphone,not really,ive seen wayy better phones,its just blind buying by consumers
ohh and btw samsung is declining fast even micromax is catching up fast
octa core is even worse than the pentium D fiasco,atleast the pentium D cores performed at once
exynos has always been a PITA for ROMS etc
samsung has and always will be oversaturated,the GS2 was their last decent product
end of line

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect

- - - Updated - - -

Watch 4k DCI samples of One plus One you will know what quality means ?

[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] & [MENTION=261170]AbhMkh[/MENTION], stick to the points and try to stop flaming unnecessarily. If you're bothered about the credibility of a website, do so in a separate thread.

@OP if you want to make this a serious topic and get better moderation, PM me.

I agree with you on the credibility thing........ GSMArena is a reliable source. Do you know, they even put a small statement in their blog stating that they were paid to make the review good by Apple (indirectly) when iPhone 5 was released

I also agree S5's AMOLED is great. Even earlier AMOLED screens had natural colour option (my S2 had it). In S5 colour accuracy is great in natural mode (Samsung uses Vivid mode by default, so its over saturated)

The Exynos helps Samsung to cut the cost. S5 is available at very cheap rate in India due to Exynos, performance is good(I personally think 801 might be better by small margin). The new Exynos used in Alpha is even better

Top Bottom