Is Samsung Advance is good purchase?

sinhead

Broken In
Hi Guys, Is Samsung galaxy Advance a good purchase in a strict budget of 13K. I have heard good reviews from my friends owning it and online as well. Very few complaints.
I don't mind the older android version as long as it doesn't hang or lag. I'm not a gadget-freak and wont change the phone for long. A good camera is desirable though.

The only apps I'll use are- torque, evernote, fuel/maintenance log, navigation/maps. No games.
Not considering the Chinese phones.

Specs:-
OS Android v2.3 (Gingerbread)
User Interface TouchWiz 4.0
Processor 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Graphics Mali-400MP
nternal 16 GB
Expandable Memory microSD, upto 32 GB
Memory 768 MB RAM

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
For good camera, Huawei Ascend P1 is a better option.. But in raw performance, Xperia M has an advantage..
(Own a M myself )

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
For internal memory nothing even comes close to S Advance and if you gonna play games then thats important

Other wise M is the way to go which has better performance but a measly 4 gb internal and a crappy cam.

OP
S

sinhead

Broken In
Thanks a lot guys.
My usage will be as follows - The only apps I'll use are - torque, evernote, fuel/maintenance log, navigation/ maps. No games.
+ Good camera in this segment.
Huwaei Ascend looks interesting but I am vary of the after sales support. Let me see more reviews of this one and Xperia M.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
@OP - As u said u want good cam I will suggest increase budget a little bit & get Xperia L.
or Xperia M is way better than s advanced.
S advanced has issue like single dropping when on dual mode.....

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
I own s advance, and it doesn't hang a single time in a year of experience using 2.3.but after updating to 4.1 it sometimes hangs.but super amoled screen of s advance is amaging.also its flash is great.you can capture great pics at night.choose wisely.....

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
If you seriously don't want to upgrade and think you can pull through without missing any new features provided by the newer software then by all means, go for it :thumbs:

S Advance has a decent cam and a generous internal memory. But if you don't plan on changing phone your phone any soon then be sure to back up older versions of the apps before they get their support withdrawn from official source, the Google Play store. Not that Froyo got banished to eternity, but that you can never be sure so always take backups

Usually developers withdraw support for older versions of OS because not many people are on that version. Google all the apps that you want to run and then you're good to go :-D

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
Hi Guys, Is Samsung galaxy Advance a good purchase in a strict budget of 13K. I have heard good reviews from my friends owning it and online as well. Very few complaints.
I don't mind the older android version as long as it doesn't hang or lag. I'm not a gadget-freak and wont change the phone for long. A good camera is desirable though.

The only apps I'll use are- torque, evernote, fuel/maintenance log, navigation/maps. No games.
Not considering the Chinese phones.

Specs:-
OS Android v2.3 (Gingerbread)
User Interface TouchWiz 4.0
Processor 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A9, Dual Core
Graphics Mali-400MP
nternal 16 GB
Expandable Memory microSD, upto 32 GB
Memory 768 MB RAM

Hi,
See I have used S advance which I purchased when the price was dropped to 14500/-
Phone camera is very good. even in night the picture quality is awesome.
you get around 11.5 GB of internal memory which is more than sufficient.
Screen quality is awesome . better than many phones in the budget of 25k.
Sound Quality is pretty good (though bundled headphones are ok).
You get all the daily used apps in 2.3 .
screen size is 4". good ergonomics and stylish to hold .

I think these features are enough to make a phone in 12k to stand out with head held high :wink:

And yes , all this works flawlessly somoooth !!

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
S advance is best phone under 13k.its screen, cam, and internal storage beats xperia m....if you can afford xperia l then buy that otherwise s advance is better than xperia m in my opinion.

OP
S

sinhead

Broken In
think you can pull through without missing any new features provided by the newer software then by all means, go for it :thumbs:
Usually developers withdraw support for older versions of OS because not many people are on that version. Google all the apps that you want to run and then you're good to go :-D

Thanks for letting me know. This will be my first android phone :D, So I'm not sure what to expect. (still using Nokia 5230 :p). I'll definitely do more research on what feature I might miss because of older android version and my concerned apps' support system, before I take the plunge.

Hi,
You get all the daily used apps in 2.3 . And yes , all this works flawlessly somoooth !!

dude1

Journeyman
Get Xperia l if you can...S advance was my first android phone also and it still works good but any claims of it working flawlessly are BS(at least after 4.1 update.). Having jelly bean is not just about app compatibility but the integrated features are tooo good to be ignored(especially the smoothness) . The s advance runs smoothly with gingerbread but gingerbread itself is not smooth enough. i'm saying this becoz XM and XL(better) both r new models and u can expect good software support at least 4 a year.
There is nothing more traumatic than ur 1st smartphone starting 2 lag :p :p

Top Bottom