is PPPOE Mode of Connection better than Dynamic IP Mode in a Router or Vice-a Versa?

vishk

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a TP-Link DECO X60 router after thorough research, but I’ve run into issues connecting to the internet using PPPoE mode. While it connects fine in Dynamic IP mode, PPPoE authentication fails. TP-Link suggested that the issue might be due to my ISP using PAP authentication instead of CHAP which the Deco uses then later they found out using the DECO Logs that because my ISP provides three MAC addresses, one of which is faulty, causing the DECO to constantly attempt connection with the problematic MAC ID. Despite contacting my ISP, they couldn’t fully address these concerns, leading to a frustrating back-and-forth without resolution. When I got in touch with my ISP, they did not have any idea of heads and tails of what TP-Link said they just said that please give the Mac address and we will block it. We can’t delete it. So now again TP-Link says if blocking the MAC Address makes the DECO not connect to that Mac. It will work, but if it is only blocking by making the authentication fail, then it will not help !!

So there is constant back-and-forth happening, I was wondering, should I just leave, my efforts and attempt to get connected using the PPPOE mode and get on with using the router in Dynamic IP mode where it works fine.

Are there any drawbacks and disadvantages of having your Router working in Dynamic IP Mode versus in PPPOE Mode?

What would you guys suggest?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Have you been given PPPoE username/password?

ISPs generally offer one of the two and some known names like Airtel & Tata additionally offer Static Public IPv4 for some additional cost.

There’s a layer of user authentication in PPPoE. However, for Dynamic IP connection ISPs implement some sort of physical port binding or MAC id auth to make it more secure.
Find out if you get Public IPv4 (If you really are lucky) or are you behind CGNAT? If you get Public IP then tighten your routers firewall to Medium or High or similar setting as router may be prone to attacks from external Internet. Also Disable WAN Ping response. If you are behind CGNAT relatively okay.

Top Bottom