Is it worth to upgrade i5 3rd Gen to i7 (6th or 7th or 8th) for smoother streaming and day-to-day work?

tinornit

Broken In
Currently using Lenovo T430s with Samsung EVO 250GB SSD.

Purpose: Browsing ( multiple tabs at a time like ...20-25 tabs), Youtube, streaming movies, document editing ( word, excel ).
and
ability to run my video coaching classes so need a good/decent camera...

Problem: the current T430s... It is slow...meaning: when I open multiple tabs and switch b/w apps and not a fluid, easy experience.
when I stream and switch b/w apps, browsers, etc, it is not smooth and stuttering.

Question:
Is it worth upgrading to a laptop with i7 6th or 7th or 8th Gen?
or
Is it okay to just go for a laptop with i7 4th or 5th Gen CPU with 16 or 32GB RAM?

I just need a laptop which just is butter smooth for my day-to-day operation which i mentioned above.

I request members here, provide me a recommendation. I do not care the laptop is latest; if the purpose gets met with a 4th or 5th gen CPU i will be getting a refurbished business-class laptop with 16 or 32 GB RAM ...if that is what is needed.

Please help!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Quick note from me, I currently also have a laptop with i5 3230m and it's more than sufficient for a just browsing web and day to day stuff.

But if you're hosting video coaching classes i.e live streaming a better setup will do wonders as the old CPU will find it hard.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Open the task manager & note processor & ram/memory usage when experiencing stuttering, if processor or memory usage is exceeding 60-70% then that is the reason for stuttering.

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
Quick note from me, I currently also have a laptop with i5 3230m and it's more than sufficient for a just browsing web and day to day stuff.

But if you're hosting video coaching classes i.e live streaming a better setup will do wonders as the old CPU will find it hard.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk
Yes, this laptop was purchased for day to day tasks 3-4 years ago and it worked superbly. my needs have expanded and the laptop has aged. have used a substandard charging adapter too and degraded the system.
needs have grown..so looking for a laptop with more power to meet my needs.

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
Thanks, everyone for your reply ( also from the other thread in which I posted by mistake)
Learned a lot. I got your view that AMD is better as of now.

However...

I will narrow down my criteria and my needs/purpose even more so that it is easier for you guys to help me!
I have some options for me:
- I am going to buy used business-class laptops (A grade) only. ( yes, I know the risks involved and consider the risks are covered)
- So, Not going to buy a first-hand laptop.
- Not going to buy AMD due to the above point as used AMD business-class laptops are not available.

I am expecting the laptop to do the following, at least for the next 5 years:

-multiple tabs open in chrome (let's say 20 tabs )
-stream live fitness video instructions and demonstrating via zoom or WebEx or another streaming medium.
- Netflix or amazon prime 720p streaming on TV
- Edit heavy Microsoft Excel files
- Edit Evernote and online storage sync and backup etc...

- Currently, I find the existing T430s with i5 with 8GB running Windows 10 struggles to do the above simultaneously or switch between those activities seamlessly and lag or stuttering.

Having said that:

Q1. Will a Lenovo T440 or T460 running i7 4th or 5th Gen with 16GB RAM suffice my needs?
or
Should I go for i7 6th gen or 7th gen and above with 16 GB to 32GB RAM? ( examples: Dell 7470 and upwards with i7 8th gen etc)
or
Should I get an HP z series laptop with i7 6th gen with 16GB RAM?

I usually find Lenovo's business-class laptop's build quality (heatsink / thermal dissipation designs) are much better than Dell or HP or others.

Requesting your input on the technical aspects of what to choose, given my constraints.
Thanks for your time.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks, everyone for your reply ( also from the other thread in which I posted by mistake)
Learned a lot. I got your view that AMD is better as of now.

However...

I will narrow down my criteria and my needs/purpose even more so that it is easier for you guys to help me!
I have some options for me:
- I am going to buy used business-class laptops (A grade) only. ( yes, I know the risks involved and consider the risks are covered)
- So, Not going to buy a first-hand laptop.
- Not going to buy AMD due to the above point as used AMD business-class laptops are not available.

I am expecting the laptop to do the following, at least for the next 5 years:

-stream live fitness video instructions and demonstrating via zoom or WebEx or another streaming medium.

- Currently, I find the existing T430s with i5 with 8GB running Windows 10 struggles to do the above simultaneously or switch between those activities seamlessly and lag or stuttering.

Having said that:

Q1. Will a Lenovo T440 or T460 running i7 4th or 5th Gen with 16GB RAM suffice my needs?
or
Should I go for i7 6th gen or 7th gen and above with 16 GB to 32GB RAM? ( examples: Dell 7470 and upwards with i7 8th gen etc)
or

I usually find Lenovo's business-class laptop's build quality (heatsink / thermal dissipation designs) are much better than Dell or HP or others.

Requesting your input on the technical aspects of what to choose, given my constraints.
Thanks for your time.
Please fill the questionnaire mate. I don't want to give random suggestions. :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
or
or

16 GB RAM and pretty much any newer gen i5 or i7 can be used for your uses. 32GB isn't needed for your work I'd say.

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
Please fill the questionnaire mate. I don't want to give random suggestions. :)
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

INR45000

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light: ~ 14" screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

...to do the above simultaneously or switch between those activities seamlessly

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

i7 Intel-based, preferably
Wireless - the new high speed should be supported.
USB 3.1 - high-speed transfers, preferably

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Lenovo due to experience with their build quality.
b. Dislike: I am open to considering this option also however, i have opinion that Dell or HP laptop lack proper driver support and overall quality

6) Anything else you would like to say?
Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) )
Battery back up - normal (3-4hrs)
Purchase place - Used / Refurbished A grade 6th/7th/8th gen i7 laptops private seller I know of ( risks covered)

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
IMO your Cpu is easily powerful enough for your needs.
Currently, I find the existing T430s with i5 with 8GB running Windows 10 struggles to do the above simultaneously or switch between those activities seamlessly and lag or stuttering.
Its either a software issue or a temperature issue. Some background software or virus or something that is hogging everything. Or your system is over-heating. Check task manager as already suggested. You can trying 'Refreshing' windows 10 (google) . Heating vents getting clogged with mud is a common problem in laptops. Try cleaning them.

OP
T

tinornit

Broken In
IMO your Cpu is easily powerful enough for your needs.

Its either a software issue or a temperature issue. Some background software or virus or something that is hogging everything. Or your system is overheating. Check the task manager as already suggested. You can try 'Refreshing' windows 10 (google). Heating vents getting clogged with mud is a common problem in laptops. Try cleaning them.
Thanks.

Additional information:
-I am helping my friend with his laptop.
-He lost the original power adapter and bought a "compatible" adapter the ones which are available on eBay for lesser price. I told him to get an original adapter. from Lenovo; anyways... I think it messed up some things on his laptop (T430s). after about 30-45 minutes of usage, the system becomes VERY hot and crashes / shuts down.
- even before the behavior mentioned above, he felt the laptop is not 'fluid' / smooth in seamlessly switching between various applications.

To address some of your points...
- will check CPU and RAM usage as recommended by you.
- will fix the laptop crashing due to overheating by cleaning it internally + check if any chip related to the power supply I/O got fried or weakened due to usage of the nonbrand charger and fix it + apply a thermal paste on CPU.
- I am using a single 8GB stick DD3 and will add one more 8GB stick after doing above

About your other input...

People ( my friend who is not so tech-savvy) usually have the idea that shifting/upgrading from 3rd gen i5 to 4th or 5th gen i5 or i7 is going to drastically improve performance.
I differ. I think it is just a marketing gimmick and not a 'great' boost to performance.
I think it makes sense to jump multiple levels.. from 3rd gen to i7 8th gen or above.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You should monitor your usage via HwInfo64 and post screenshot of sensors page. Don't use cheap thermal paste. They are not worth it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
People ( my friend who is not so tech-savvy) usually have the idea that shifting/upgrading from 3rd gen i5 to 4th or 5th gen i5 or i7 is going to drastically improve performance.
I differ. I think it is just a marketing gimmick and not a 'great' boost to performance.
I think it makes sense to jump multiple levels.. from 3rd gen to i7 8th gen or above.
It all depends on user.e.g. if you are regularly using 85%+ processor on 3rd gen i5 then going to 4th or 5th gen i5 may save you ~10-15% of that usage but if you directly jump to 8th gen i7 then it may not even reach 20% processor usage which is kind of waste because with 8th gen i5 you will save money & still your usage will be below 40%. As long as your average usage of processor is below 70% under extreme work loads which you don't do often(say once a day for 2-3 hours) then it is good enough for a few years.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
ok.
will this be good enough? Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5G
Nope, it might be electrically conductive.
Get Noctua NT-H1 or CM MasterGel Maker Nano from PrimeABGB, MD Computers or Vedant Computers. They are good for laptops.

Arctic MX-4 is another option.

Top Bottom