Is it possible to run Brittanica 2004 in linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satissh S

Youngling
Is it possible to run brittanica 2004 in linux. It can be run in mac ,which of course is based on unix, so it shud run on linux too.. but when i try to run with wine i get a lot of errors. I had bought it for Rs 2100 and now since i don't have windozee iam unable to run it :(

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Wine does not support Britanica.To see a list of software supported by wine check their website.
winehq.com

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
i haven't tried Encyclopaedia Britannica yet. but the Britannica Quizmaster(the one given fre with digit) works excellently on my machine. let me try Encyclopaedia Britannica and will post results.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Ok Satish, i found the instructions for installing EB2004 in linux by the EB team.

*support.britannica.com/linux/linux.htm

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
EB is released for Windows Only. But sine it uses java a lot, can be used with gnu/linux too. nut you wont get any gaurantee or support from EB for gnu/linux.

OP
Satissh S

Satissh S

Youngling
Oh yeah, the quizmaster runs well, even the 2k5 consice runs well but not URS2004. I'm still trying, their perl script does not work :(

OP
Satissh S

Satissh S

Youngling
Ok! Friends got it working, I d/l and installed Java 1.3.1 from blackdown and it ran. But there are however a lot of issues.
Firstly: We can´t enjoy the videos because of the lack of Quicktime . Why is apple soo sarcastic? When they can give quicktime for windozee why not for linux/Freebsd. After all they owe a gr8 deal to bsd guys...
Secondly: I have to use Redmond theme for KDE and the hard edge 3d appearance for GNOME for the windows to work properly ie., the sizes of dialog boxes. :(
Thirdly: The Timeline content doesn´t play. Thankfully, The Atlas works in Ubuntu but not in Fedora.
But anyways, the articles and the pictures are showing up nice. :) Webupdate and online activities doesn work though :(
But nyways Linux and OSS Community Rocks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom