Is Anti malware Service Executable high RAM usage due to bug or due to incorrect settings?

srdigit16

In the zone
Solutions suggest to add the executable file of this in exclusions & to disable the real-time service, which doesn't seem to be a good solution. Should I use any other antivirus (I can't pay)?

Operating System
Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 7200U @ 2.50GHz 46 °C
Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 665MHz (10-10-10-28)
Motherboard
LENOVO LNVNB161216 (U3E1)
Graphics
LG FULL HD (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 620 (Lenovo)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon 530 (Lenovo)
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
447GB Hitachi HS-SSD-C100 480G (SATA (SSD)) 48 °C
931GB Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 (SATA ) 34 °C

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
None, it is the way it is. Don't install any other antivirus, it is windows defender doing its weekly or bi weekly thing.

I switched to Linux and have been on MX Linux from past 3 Years due to this sole reason. I used 1 year as dual boot and now I solely use Linux and occasionally use VM for windows usage if it appears.

If your work allows you may to switch but there are many things you will need to take a look at. Hardware compatibility, time taken to adjust to it and most importantly will your work be done on it?

Windows has so many background processes that it literally slows down time to time way too much. And then there are notorious updates. Windows 11 has advertisements as cherry on cake.

You may still use windows debloater scripts and debloat it but it will not stop.windows defender.

In the logs, you mentioned two storage mediums I hope windows is installed on ssd

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
None, it is the way it is. Don't install any other antivirus, it is windows defender doing its weekly or bi weekly thing.

I switched to Linux and have been on MX Linux from past 3 Years due to this sole reason. I used 1 year as dual boot and now I solely use Linux and occasionally use VM for windows usage if it appears.

If your work allows you may to switch but there are many things you will need to take a look at. Hardware compatibility, time taken to adjust to it and most importantly will your work be done on it?

Windows has so many background processes that it literally slows down time to time way too much. And then there are notorious updates. Windows 11 has advertisements as cherry on cake.

You may still use windows debloater scripts and debloat it but it will not stop.windows defender.

In the logs, you mentioned two storage mediums I hope windows is installed on ssd

Yes I have 2 partitions in SSD, C drive is for Windows & all other software, the other partition for project source files.

What's the weekly or biweekly thing, how to disable it (is it safe)?

In linux do you use antivirus & this problem is not there?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Yes I have 2 partitions in SSD, C drive is for Windows & all other software, the other partition for project source files.

What's the weekly or biweekly thing, how to disable it (is it safe)?

In linux do you use antivirus & this problem is not there?

Basically windows defender takes on while disk for scanning malware.

No, Antivirus is not required on Linux because any admin activity will require authentication to gain access. Most of the vulnerabilities are solved on Latest Updates due it's open source nature.

But yet again only switch if your work allows it. It will be difficult to switch and take even more time to adjust after leaving windows due to different method of installing apps. Also, Some apps like MS Office is not available.

OP
S

srdigit16

In the zone
Basically windows defender takes on while disk for scanning malware.

No, Antivirus is not required on Linux because any admin activity will require authentication to gain access. Most of the vulnerabilities are solved on Latest Updates due it's open source nature.

But yet again only switch if your work allows it. It will be difficult to switch and take even more time to adjust after leaving windows due to different method of installing apps. Also, Some apps like MS Office is not available.
Does resetting windows with keep personal files help? Should I enable or disable (which is better) Restore preinstalled apps & settings?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
What is the name of the process that's consuming RAM?

"Anti-Malware Service Executable"

*answers.microsoft.com/en-us/window...-service/b20c6fef-0ce1-4ad1-8874-f76c8a89523a

This has been discussed so frequently it should be fixed by now. But it's Microsoft.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
SMH, I thought OP was asking about some generic service.

But there are so many such services in Windows that consume memory for apparently no reason.

Top Bottom