Is airtel's unlimited 4g postpaid plan a good substitute for broadband?

quicky008

Technomancer
I have been using bsnl broadband for several years.However their download speeds are way too slow and service quality is unreliable.

I was thinking of switching over to some different broadband provider but at my place,nothing else is available( i live in a remote area in 24 pgs south WB).

I recently came across airtel's postpaid connection offer where they are providing fast internet speeds and unltd. calling facility with many of their new plans.Their 1599 plan even claims to provide unlimited data.

Is airtel 4g any good and will switching over to the unlimited postpaid plan with a monthly rental of 1599 be worthwhile?Does it have any sort of FUP or other hidden costs/caveats that are not clearly mentioned at their website?

Are any similar options available from any other company in india that might be cheaper or better than airtel?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Wired connections are better when you do internet heavy work. But if you're in a very remote location you just don't have other options.

According to this article : Bharti Airtel Rs 1599 Postpaid Plan Is the Only One Offering Unlimited Data Along with Add-on Connection

The 1599 plan has a limit of 500GB after which the speed is throttled. Very few connections have non Fup net so this seems fair to a certain extent.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
4G? Not at all.

Get Airtel Broadband if it's available at your place. Otherwise, stick to BSNL Broadband. In my home, we have both Airtel and BSNL Broadband.

4G? Definitely not. It can be more unreliable than a wired broadband from BSNL. India has one of the worst 4G network in the world in terms of speed & reliablity. Its cheap, but not reliable unless your area has good connection. You have to try with an airtel SIM if 4G works consistently in your home/area. Check jio 4G as well. Maybe use 3GB/day or something like on 2 SIMs.

How much data do you use per month?

Try to find local broadband providers, if you have any in your area. I think RailTel has coverage in some rural areas as well.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I already have a jio sim in my handset - it provides decent download speeds of upto 1 mbps.

The data usage per month in my case is fairly high, mainly for downloading movies/games etc from torrents and so on.

Jio has recently unveiled some sort of work from home plans where they are offering 50gb for a month for rs 251. Is it a better alternative to airtel 4g?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I already have a jio sim in my handset - it provides decent download speeds of upto 1 mbps.

The data usage per month in my case is fairly high, mainly for downloading movies/games etc from torrents and so on.

Jio has recently unveiled some sort of work from home plans where they are offering 50gb for a month for rs 251. Is it a better alternative to airtel 4g?
No one can say anything for sure because mobile network quality varies from area to area. Use an airtel sim & 4g plan & check speeds during various times of the day.

Top Bottom