Involuntary software installation happening in a rooted Android phone

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
My wife has Micromax Canvas Nitro A311 on Android KitKat 4.4.2. It has been rooted using KingRoot and was being used without much trouble for nearly six months after rooting.

Last week she started to complain about some white screen interrupting her work. After this happened a few times I got to see it. There was a white screen with a pattern lock like pattern. Turns out it was downloading and installing APUS Launcher without consent or informing. I removed it. After a day it was back again! Removed it again and started thinking about possible culprit. Suspected KingRoot itself or some Micromax shenanigan because the other launcher installed is LINE Launcher.

Yesterday 360 Security Suite was downloaded and launched itself in full Chinese language. Got rif of it.

I feel there might be a role for LINE Launcher too as while uninstalling I see a blurred background screen very much like that of LINE.

So I have now replaced KingRoot with SuperSU and removed LINE Launcher.

It is just one day but there have been no further episodes.

I am not sure who is the actual culprit still.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
After some more searching, finally I was able to locate an XDA post showing that it was a backhanded compliment by Micromax for us trusting them. Please root any Micromax device you own and remove the applications mentioned in this XDA post for peace of mind.

Micromax Remotely Installing Unwanted Apps on Devices

Software Upgrade (represented by FWUpgrade.apk)
I have also removed SalesTracker and TrendingApps too along with multiple Micromax bloatware.

Have not seen any problem for the last 24 hours.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
After some more searching, finally I was able to locate an XDA post showing that it was a backhanded compliment by Micromax for us trusting them. Please root any Micromax device you own and remove the applications mentioned in this XDA post for peace of mind.

Micromax Remotely Installing Unwanted Apps on Devices

Software Upgrade (represented by FWUpgrade.apk)
I have also removed SalesTracker and TrendingApps too along with multiple Micromax bloatware.

Have not seen any problem for the last 24 hours.

Thank you for this post. This should be sticky.

God damned micromax...

modelexam

Right off the assembly line
The same issue of unknown apps getting installed is seen in some lava phones too... especially lava iris selfie 50. Havent had success in removing the bloatwares so far

Top Bottom