Internet connection sharing only through NAT,Little odd case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Hello all guys..

Well this time I got a WiFi Connection from a local ISP, they have simply given me an IP on the basis of mac address of the wifi lan card, the ip they have given is of local lan. Also they have given me username / password.

They have configured nothing in browser, so to use wifi I have to first open the brower, then give an ip address, then i wil presented with login screen, there I have to give username /password. Then only I can surf internet, just give it in any browser whether its firefox, IE. etc. and then all internet application works..

No problem untill now..

So the problem which is being faced is --->
That I am unable to share internet to my other computer using NAT (Internet connection sharing / ICS in windows). My problem is that I have to share internet using NAT only (NAT = Network address Translation). I can share it using proxy but its not the solution.

Now wht the heck they are using for authentication, mostly on the windows , all application uses IE's internet connection setting and cookies etc. but if I log in using FireFox (which is totally diff. to IE as it is not sharing it IE's setting) then how the hell all other application works (internet applications) ?

So guys tell me how I can share internet using ICS / NAT (using any other application) . :D ..

Waiting..

geekysage

Journeyman
Ricky said:
Now wht the heck they are using for authentication, mostly on the windows , all application uses IE's internet connection setting and cookies etc. but if I log in using FireFox (which is totally diff. to IE as it is not sharing it IE's setting) then how the hell all other application works (internet applications) ?
Ricky said:
Arrey.. guys.. atleast give some opinions.. !!
They are not authenticating you using cookies or stuff like that but are using an application that blocks TCP/FTP/UDP data unless you give some credentials that can be linked to a user account on their server. Have a look at this article: *www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtech...elp/54a189fd-72d7-4a52-a1f2-77b45bb210d5.mspx

The apartment where i live has building wide wireless access using APs on every floor. I am taken to a login screen when i try to open any site, I give my account info and the server unblocks my access. The difference between your and my setup is I don't have to type any IP to get to the login screen but am automatically forwarded to it whenever i try to open any site. Your ISP doesn't have it setup properly at their end and you can suggest them for the same. In fact, many restaurants like McDonald's and Starbucks provide free net access using the same setup. My university has a different system and a student gets a WEP key for access after getting his MAC address registered. These are two different ways of authenticating and the usage depends on the software/hardware setup at the ISP's end as well as network admin's preference.

As for sharing the internet connection using ICS, try searching on google. I'd not comment on this because i never got around to using ICS and used WinProxy whenever i needed to share a connection. I can't understand why you don't want to use proxies. Anyway, good luck with your search.

Peace.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I have fair (really mean it) of experience in using proxy etc .. and found that NAT is trouble free in many cases..

well.. will read that article with peace.. and thanx for ur response ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom