Internet connecting via WIFI but not through ethernet cable

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hi guys, i have a weird problem which i am facing since today morning. My Asus router is hooked on to my primary desktop. I access all my stuff through the desktop itself. However since morning, i am unable to connect to the internet even though the lan adaptor says it is connected. None of the webpages are opening. I tried trouble shooting it with different LAN cables and i am still facing the same issue. But if i connect the LAN cable to my laptop, it is connecting properly. So the issue seems to be specific to my desktop system. But i am unable to understand if this is a hardware or a software issue. Can you please help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check whether you were using mac clone feature as many cable isp lock the net connection to a mac id(usually of the laptop) & you are supposed to use mac clone option in router to copy laptop mac id to router mac id so your router modified mac id becomes same as laptop mac id. You can check this by opening the local isp webpage for account settings etc which should open but with an error like "connection refused/not allowed" etc.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
It finally worked. The problem was with the dns. The cable company goofed up on it which is why it didn't work. Thank you guys for the quick resolution.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
The cable guys had put up the wrong dns number. Inquired with them and they apologised for the goof upb

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The cable guys had put up the wrong dns number. Inquired with them and they apologised for the goof upb

But you said it was working fine with your laptop which means you must have set a dns different than your cable isp in your laptop lan settings so why not do the same in desktop too or better do this in router settings?

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Yes correct. I didn't realise what those guys did at the desktop until you guys mentioned it. It was quite silly of me to not look at dns address too.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it mandatory ? I don't have google dns in my router settings.
It is better than your isp dns in the sense that chances of google dns not working are always much less than your isp dns not working due to some technical issue. It at least rules out any issue with your isp dns in case of net not available. You can also use cloudflare dns(1.1.1.1. & 1.0.0.1) which is supposedly more privacy oriented(it even supports dns over https & dns over tls Introducing DNS Resolver, 1.1.1.1 (not a joke) )

P.S. the dns setting in your device overrides any dns setting in router.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Woah!! What's with the price increase lately.. Almost all hardware cost seems to have gone up. Makes me wonder if I should postpone my pc upgrade to second half of the year.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Woah!! What's with the price increase lately.. Almost all hardware cost seems to have gone up. Makes me wonder if I should postpone my pc upgrade to second half of the year.

Some corona virus effect & some economy effect. Can't say about other hardware but buy ssd as soon as possible because their price is confirmed to rise anywhere from 10-40% this year(already prices increased since Jan).

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Some corona virus effect & some economy effect. Can't say about other hardware but buy ssd as soon as possible because their price is confirmed to rise anywhere from 10-40% this year(already prices increased since Jan).
Thanks for the tip.. Love the performance and the speed of the ssd. May buy it beforehand

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip.. Love the performance and the speed of the ssd. May buy it beforehand

if you have nvme slot(or planning to get mobo in future which will almost certainly have nvme slot anyway unless cheapest/most basic type mobo) then keep an eye on this model & buy it immediately if price starts increasing fast.
*www.onlyssd.com/buy/wd-blue-sn550-500gb-m-2-pci-express-3-0-x4-nvme-ssd-wds500g2b0c/

Top Bottom