Interesting disclaimer on Amazon.in for Acer Laptop and Windows 10

samirjoshi

Right off the assembly line
First of all I do not support any type of software piracy. This question indirectly does relate to that but in a technical perspective, so I hope this should be valid here.
On amazon.in there’s a listing for Acer Aspire ES 15 15.6-inch Laptop.

It says the following

Manufacturer recommends usage of only genuine Windows 10 with this machine. Pirated version of Windows cannot be installed on this laptop

How is this possible? Only Microsoft would know if Windows is genuine or counterfeit and only MS would flag your version of windows accordingly if it’s found to be counterfeit. This process is anyways applicable to any and every hardware that’s installed with windows and that can go online.
What special would this laptop (hardware) do to prevent a user from installing counterfeit windows and how it would know in the first place that whatever being installed on this machine is Windows first of all and secondly it’s counterfeit?

I can anyway install Windows 10 without a key (for later activation thru digital entitlement), or just use it as a long trial ware demo (with constraints like no personalization & nagging watermark) I can even install Windows 10 Tech Preview or even any flavor of Linux on it.. right?

Top Bottom