Interested in career in WWW ? The next killer Web Applications could be....

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdude

Broken In
So how many of you are interested in a career in internet ??? Does internet world excite you?

Would be great to have a discussion around web applications here......Some very popular web applications which have done well over a period of time:

1. Email is truly the king I guess. Hotmail did a good job initially but later Yahoo mail and Gmail came up with better products.
2. Search based applications like Google and Yahoo
3. Chatting applications like msn messenger, skype, gtalk,
4. Discussion forums like this Digit Forum
5. Social networking sites like Orkut, Facebook, Linked in
6. Job portals like naukri.com, timesjobs.com
7. Matrimonial websites like shaadi.com, jeevansaathi.com
8. Travel sites like Yatra.com, cleartrip.com
9. Online banking solutions
10.Online Video websites like Youtube

Am sure there are many more....feel free to share....

Its truly amazing how internet has positively changed our lives.....how it has beautifully connected all of us....and given us a common platform to ideate, learn and grow.....

So what do you think, could be the next web killer application ....what else do we need which would help all of us in a big way......

Last edited:
OP
T

techdude

Broken In
online OS.... That is very interesting !! Could you elaborate a bit more....

So do you mean software as a service SAAS technologies or something else....

Wish laptops/PCS can become cheaper. Would be great if internet could provide lot of computing power, once we connect to it...

:)

I had a thought about a web application for car pooling.... This could connect people staying in same locality and working in similar location.....

often people working in the same company also do not know each other despite staying in same locations....especially true for large companies.....

Similarly, people living in the same apartment complex might have offices closeby and could commute together very easily....

Sure, people car-pooling together need to adjust a bit. Good intent and a bit of patience could make this work.

Just imagine the amount of fuel saving that can be achieved via this collaborative web application !!

Pollution would reduce too and so would the traffic jams !!

NiluGeek

Broken In
hi friendz,

building web application for car pooling would be great idea , but as you said it needs patience,and yes who will forget torrent ,
bittorrent a internet communication protocol, internet's more than 60% traffic is routed through this protocol.

and yes Enterprise Resource Planning, a set of softwares systems which bring all divisions of company together across the world.

circular_q

Broken In
Not really interested in web applications but the only widespread, decent entry level jobs in IT seem to be for them. I am more interested in Linux/Unix systems and network administration and security and after that embedded/mobile development.

By the way I wonder if Microsoft's recently released Azure would count as a webOS.

Last edited:

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Web apps for carpooling have existed for eons. A cursory search on Google should throw up hundreds of results.

The thing with stuff like search engines, video portals etc. is that it would require a lot of effort and creativity to build something that can overhaul an existing monsters (Google/MSN Live for search and YT/Dailymotion for video). It's not as if these companies are sitting on their back bottoms either. What I'm trying to say is that why waste time over building something that will take these companies head-on? Rather, be a parasite and ride the wave of success by building on top of an existing (and successful) product, IYKWIM. :)

The current buzz seems to be around real-time social networks like Twitter, Jaiku etc. I'm working PT at a start-up that's focused on building a Twitter-based social app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom