Intel unlocked GPU drivers for laptops

monkey

Padawan
I just read that Intel has now released unlocked GPU drivers so that owners of branded computers can install them without waiting for OEM to release the same. This is valid for laptops too. I want to know if anyone has installed them and if it is OK to do so?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always updated my iGPU drivers directly from Intel. Is this something new?
On some oem laptop models there was a chance that latest intel igpu driver might not install/work correctly. Sony Vaio series I remember used to be the most strict oem where even nvidia/amd latest drivers would be uninstallable.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I always updated my iGPU drivers directly from Intel. Is this something new?
How do you that? Whenever I tried to so the installer stopped and asked me to update through OEM website. In my case my laptop is Acer and I have seen that they hardly update their drivers. Last Intel drivers are from 2017 and they have never bothered to update them since then.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
How do you that? Whenever I tried to so the installer stopped and asked me to update through OEM website. In my case my laptop is Acer and I have seen that they hardly update their drivers. Last Intel drivers are from 2017 and they have never bothered to update them since then.
My current laptop has UHD 630 iGPU. I have a backup of existing driver installer.
I download new driver from Intel's support page here: Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 630
I wipe existing driver using Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.2.3
Then I proceed to install new driver.
If I don't face any issues, I keep using the new driver. Otherwise, I'd wipe it clean and install the one which I already had working fine.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
My current laptop has UHD 630 iGPU. I have a backup of existing driver installer.
I download new driver from Intel's support page here: Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 630
I wipe existing driver using Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.2.3
If I don't face any issues, I keep using the new driver. Otherwise, I'd wipe it clean and install the one which I already had working fine.
I think your current laptop can't be considered as usual oem like dell,hp,lenovo etc & it is more like an assembled product.

I just read that Intel has now released unlocked GPU drivers so that owners of branded computers can install them without waiting for OEM to release the same. This is valid for laptops too. I want to know if anyone has installed them and if it is OK to do so?
Even Win10 updates has been pushing Intel drivers for some years now. And I have sideloaded drivers from Intel into laptops & OEM desktop earlier as well, as stated by SaiyanGoku. Its true that not all laptops played nice with GPU drivers from Intel.

My question is, why bother with Intel driver updates? Intel's iGPU is too weak for gaming & the games which it can run won't benefit much. I do agree that thee new Intel Graphics Command Centre looks good, but I doubt it helps with anything.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Shouldn't it be same like installing drivers after fresh installation of Windows? This is because I have tried that and drivers from Intel's website still didn't install. Infact I checked yesterday that even the latest so called unlocked drivers are not installing. I think I will have to depend on Windows updates only.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shouldn't it be same like installing drivers after fresh installation of Windows? This is because I have tried that and drivers from Intel's website still didn't install. Infact I checked yesterday that even the latest so called unlocked drivers are not installing. I think I will have to depend on Windows updates only.
The latest versions of intel graphics drivers will only install on win 10 latest versions, same thing for win 7/8.1 compatibility with latest intel drivers. Use the filter & select windows version you use to see which drivers are compatible & then try those only.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
The latest versions of intel graphics drivers will only install on win 10 latest versions, same thing for win 7/8.1 compatibility with latest intel drivers. Use the filter & select windows version you use to see which drivers are compatible & then try those only.
Did that but it doesn't work...:|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Acer Aspire VX-15 with Windows 10 ver 1909 (64-bit)
It may be that acer is the new sony viao, Acer also has the most restrictive upgrade policy where they put warranty void stickers even on screws so doing anything as simple as adding ram also needs a visit to service centre.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Even Win10 updates has been pushing Intel drivers for some years now. And I have sideloaded drivers from Intel into laptops & OEM desktop earlier as well, as stated by SaiyanGoku. Its true that not all laptops played nice with GPU drivers from Intel.

My question is, why bother with Intel driver updates? Intel's iGPU is too weak for gaming & the games which it can run won't benefit much. I do agree that thee new Intel Graphics Command Centre looks good, but I doubt it helps with anything.
It's for people who don't game on their laptops and have only iGPUs. The updates are required more for Bug fixes than gaming performance.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
It may be that acer is the new sony viao, Acer also has the most restrictive upgrade policy where they put warranty void stickers even on screws so doing anything as simple as adding ram also needs a visit to service centre.
I guess so but there were no stickers on screws. I was able to add SSD instead of HDD without any problem. Anyways, I always wanted that one should be given the right to install drivers for themselves. I remember when there was security issues with Intel chips and there was a fix issued by Intel. But Acer never updated those drivers leaving Acer laptops exposed for such a long time. Thankfully I can update nVidia drivers for my nVidia GPU without Acer's help.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess so but there were no stickers on screws. I was able to add SSD instead of HDD without any problem. Anyways, I always wanted that one should be given the right to install drivers for themselves. I remember when there was security issues with Intel chips and there was a fix issued by Intel. But Acer never updated those drivers leaving Acer laptops exposed for such a long time. Thankfully I can update nVidia drivers for my nVidia GPU without Acer's help.
Maybe it is because this laptop is a high end gaming model. As for updates for laptops that is a separate thing because warranty is provided by laptop brands & not intel/similar manufacturers so in case something goes wrong with some update resulting in bricking of laptop then laptop manufacture has to bear all cost of warranty/repair. I guess graphics card manufactures(nvidia & amd) have some sort of arrangement with laptop manufacturers to share cost of repair/warranty in case something goes wrong because of their updates.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I, finally, resolved the issue. I couldn't update drivers due to Intel DSA software. I removed this and installed new software using DSA Uninstall software. Now I got 2 Intel updates - Generic GPU drivers and Intel RST drivers. :smile:

Update: GPU driver still didn't install although Intel RST got updated :-(

Top Bottom