Intel debuts Linux-based "Mobile Internet Device"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Source: LinuxDevices
Intel unveiled a new post-PC computing form-factor based on embedded Linux this week, at its Developer Conference in Beijing. The chip giant projects a global market of 180 million units annually by 2010 for "Mobile Internet Devices" (MIDs), which are conceptually similar to Nokia's N800 tablet.
They will run appliance-like Linux software stacks with four key objectives:

* Stay in touch
o Social networking
o VoIP
o Chat
o IM
o Browsing
o Video Conf
o Blog

* Be entertainted
o Video
o TV
o Games
o Pictures
o Music
o Browsing

* Access Info and Locate
o Directions
o Points-of-Interest
o LBS
o News
o Sports
o Shopping
o Browsing

* Be Productive
o Internet
o Collaboration
o Communication
o Databases
o Remote access
o Enterprise apps

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
About time, actully it is not the OS which makes the UPMC, it is the cost. Who is going to pay $900 for a UPMC. Since now it runs Linux, intel can optimise the OS for the CPU in which case a 500 MHz CPU based on Core Solo (yup single core) is enough for it. 8 GB internal memory with expension in the form of USB sticks or Memory card

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
APC Magazine unveiled some screen shots of the distro that will run on Intel's MIDs. The Linux distro obviously known as "MIDLinux" is being developed by Red Flag Software and has an iPhone style interface.

The gallery also shows applications such as Google Maps, a document writer with optional on-screen keyboard, an email reader, messaging client, movie player, RSS reader, PDF viewer, image viewer, Outlook-like calendar, calculator, and memory game. The gallery can be found here.

*i17.tinypic.com/4by0g9x.png

*i12.tinypic.com/4g63xx0.png

*i11.tinypic.com/40o13t5.png

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Cool, atlast they now know that strict & newa architecture is the way to go in such devices.

The intergface is not like iPhone for gods sake. Big icons like these were already available for many days on Nokia Samsung & SE phones

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
gx_saurav said:
The intergface is not like iPhone for gods sake. Big icons like these were already available for many days on Nokia Samsung & SE phones
Ok well it is like-iPhone for people like me :p
People who did not see such icons earlier and I guess APC Magazine guys also belong to the same category as they say the same thing as well.

Pathik

Google Bot
yep... even i feel its like the iPhone interface... especially the browser icon resembles safari ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom