Installing openSUSE 10.2 help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivektheone

Right off the assembly line
HI Friends,

I am a newbie to the Linux world and would like to install OPenSuse 10.2 which I recieved recently from PC World Mag DVD. I would like to set it up with Windows XP as a dual boot. But I do not want it to configure grub as it will edit partition tables of my hard drive. Instead I have 2 hard drives one which has Windows and other which I should install Open Suse 10.2.

So is it OK to do like this as I will have to change my bios settings when i switch OS's?

I would also like to know what package to use for TV Viewing in OpenSuse as I have a tuner card connected to my system?

Thanks in ADVANCE.

regards
Vivek

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
vivektheone said:
HI Friends,

I am a newbie to the Linux world and would like to install OPenSuse 10.2 which I recieved recently from PC World Mag DVD. I would like to set it up with Windows XP as a dual boot. But I do not want it to configure grub as it will edit partition tables of my hard drive. Instead I have 2 hard drives one which has Windows and other which I should install Open Suse 10.2.

So is it OK to do like this as I will have to change my bios settings when i switch OS's?

I would also like to know what package to use for TV Viewing in OpenSuse as I have a tuner card connected to my system?

Thanks in ADVANCE.

regards
Vivek

You can save the grub configuration on the floppy. For TV it has inbuilt package

unni

In the zone
vivektheone said:
HI Friends,
But I do not want it to configure grub as it will edit partition tables of my hard drive.

Vivek, nothing is going to break if you install grub. All it will do is modify your MBR to point to your Linux & Windows locations. Even if you decide to remove Linux at a later point, it is very easy to restore your Windows bootloader.

You can also install the way you mentioned, but in my opinion, is totally unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom