Installing linux with 8500GT card

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
After i got my 8500GT card, i am unable to get any display with Ubuntu 7.04 and hence am unable to install it. Please explain how i can install this without the display and then install the drivers for my graphic card.

baccilus said:
After i got my 8500GT card, i am unable to get any display with Ubuntu 7.04 and hence am unable to install it. Please explain how i can install this without the display and then install the drivers for my graphic card.

disable the card in bios.

praka123

left this forum longback
as for display-for now just use "vesa" driver.afterwards while u get connected www,download nvidia drivers using synaptic(apt).enable universe,multiverse repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
praka123 said:
as for display-for now just use "vesa" driver.afterwards while u get connected www,download nvidia drivers using synaptic(apt).enable universe,multiverse repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list

How to do this ^^ ?

praka123

left this forum longback
if u got ubuntu successfully installed and after booting first time-ur not getting display-then press keyboard CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a virtual terminal.u must have already set ur username following ubuntu installer(ubiquity).
now login to virtual terminal;u'll get a "$" prompt.
do the following:
Code:
:~$ sudo su -
give ur passwd and enter to get a root ("#") terminal.
after getting root terminal run below command:
Code:
:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
it will ask u all these things like display etc etc..but when it asks for video driver select (using UP/DOWN,RETURN(enter) and TAB in terminal)
"VESA" as driver.

In Debian and Ubuntu for configuring and tweaking these settings,install using apt these packages for later use.it helps.
"configure-debian" -using terminal -
"gkdebconf" -gui tool
^^ both tools manages "dpkg-reconfigure" for available options.
Now after getting a gui in Ubuntu.configure internet(sudo pppoeconf" -for adsl) and update package cache using "apt" or synaptic pkg manager "reload".
then open synaptic and browse to Nvidia drivers.see below guide for feisty fawn and Nvidia:
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#how_to_setup_nvidia_drivers_in_7.04
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_install_Beta_Graphics_Driver_.28NVIDIA.29
a must read guide-
*ubuntuguide.org
*www.ubuntugeek.com

AND if u cant get display even in Ubuntu live-cd.do exactly as what explained above.

the thing is Nvidia got OK kinda drivers for Linux.
ATi drivers for Linux seems pathetic.but there seems hope anyways ;)

Last edited:
OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Oh.. Its not even able to install. It just says that it was unable to start the x server. So i am not even able to start the live CD. It also has an option to install in safe(non) graphical mode but i am not sure i can manage it.

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ thats where what i explained helps!.just press keyboard CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a virtual terminal.login with ur username and password.follow what i suggested above.sure dude! U can fix this.its easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom