Install softwares in other drives. is there any problem..??

The gamer

Broken In
I install all of my softwares ( antivirus , photoshop , video and audio editors etc.) in other drives rather than primary drive (c drive) so that there is enough space left in my primary drive. but still primary drive uses space which i dont know why it is using.

is there any problem of installing softwares in other drive or i should install them in primary drive.

And my second problem is that i have installed 64bit windows as i am using 4gb ram because people say that 32bit operating system do not read 4gb ram. but in 64bit operating system the properties is dispalying 4gb ram and in bracket it is saying 3.3gb usable.
why this is happening..??

$hadow

Geek in making
For your first question provide a screen shot.
And your second question is not a problem since some amount of ram is used by system for running while other is left for you to use. So that 700mb of ram is used by windows. So relax it is absolutely normal.

OP
T

The gamer

Broken In
i am just asking that is there any problem of installing softwares in other drives rather than primary drive..??

> No, there is no problem in installing softwares in non OS drive.

> You have a 32 bit OS as indicated by the "3.3 GB usable" text. Better clean install the 64 bit version.

> For some softwares like Adobe Photoshop, even if you select some different drive for installation, some components still get installed on C drive.

> If you do not use the 'hibernate' feature, you may run this command (in admin mode):

Code:
powercfg -h off

This will free up ~3 GB space in C drive.

ankush28

Bazinga
> No, there is no problem in installing softwares in non OS drive.

> You have a 32 bit OS as indicated by the "3.3 GB usable" text. Better clean install the 64 bit version.

> For some softwares like Adobe Photoshop, even if you select some different drive for installation, some components still get installed on C drive.

> If you do not use the 'hibernate' feature, you may run this command (in admin mode):

Code:
powercfg -h off

This will free up ~3 GB space in C drive.

I second this :D

prehistoricgamer

Q.C Passed. Tested. OK
Take it from me. Do not install anything in C / Primary drive. Push all the software as much as possible to other drives. There is no harm in installing apps to non primary drives. In fact, it is advised that you install on non-primary ones.

Why?

Here's an example. Suppose your system somehow gets infected by a malignant virus. You got no other option but to format and do a clean OS install.
What then? All your data will be lost since you wipe the primary partition.
Also, for various security reasons, I once again stress upon installing everything to non-primary partitions.

some software like compilers needs to be installed on c drive itself.

Wrong. They don't need to be installed on C drive. In fact, you could install them anywhere. You'd just have to specify the appropriate switches and path to the binary / libraries while compiling.

And my second problem is that i have installed 64bit windows as i am using 4gb ram because people say that 32bit operating system do not read 4gb ram. but in 64bit operating system the properties is dispalying 4gb ram and in bracket it is saying 3.3gb usable.

I suspect that you are using a pirated copy of the windows from an unreliable source. Maybe, the OS is tricking you by displaying that is 64 bit instead of 32 bit.
I suggest you to get a better copy of Windows 64 bit or whichever OS u prefer and then do a clean install.

Keep your primary disk size between 30 to 40 gigs. No need for more than that.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Here's an example. Suppose your system somehow gets infected by a malignant virus. You got no other option but to format and do a clean OS install.
What then? All your data will be lost since you wipe the primary partition.
Also, for various security reasons, I once again stress upon installing everything to non-primary partitions.
well installing software in drives other than primary drive C: is a good idea
but it won't work for softwares who are dependent on registry to run (and many apps install some of their files in system32 folder)
so in the case described by you above (virus infection & format) those softwares shud be reinstalled.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Wrong. They don't need to be installed on C drive. In fact, you could install them anywhere. You'd just have to specify the appropriate switches and path to the binary / libraries while compiling.

changing variables and paths for an average user is not a good idea. sometimes he can be messed with that.

Flash

Lost in speed

1. What's your chipset? - Sometimes BIOS limitations can't allow the system to go beyond 3.3~3.68 GB, even if you own Win7-64 BIT. The only option is to update BIOS.

2. Check Msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced Options

[IMGG]*www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Change-Maximum-Memory-Using-Windows-7-BOOT-Advanced-Options_thumb.png[/IMGG]

- Maually check the box, and enter the memory as 4GB.
- Restart the computer and check your memory now.

Top Bottom