Inputs for my gaming rig 2014

chetan.g

Journeyman
Hi all,

The purpose of posting this thread is to get the ideas or your valuable feedbacks on my gaming configuration:

After doing a exhaustive work I come up with below configuration. The main purpose will be gaming only . I want to build my gaming ring to be future proof as possible. Please let me know if the list need to be edited or this is the best config.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO OR please suggest

Graphic card: ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 780TI 3 GB DDR5

RAM: Please suggest 8 GB

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X Cooler

Thermal paste : Shall I stick what is provided or order Artic sliver !!

PSU : Please suggest.

I am not listing Cabinet and monitor as I do have that already.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
Fill up the questionnaire: *www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Basically for High gaming , Games like Battlefield, Bioshock, Call of duty, COD Black operations , World of warcraft .. like titles with their full setting on.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 90 K .. can be extended.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 or 8 no issue with any of these.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB to 2 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No Monitor .. currently using LG Flatron with resolution of 1440x900 .. Any better than this will be welcome but I will upgrade only 2 to 3 months later.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, Cabinet, Mouse, LG DVD writer.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Approx in 1 month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: In Mumbai ... Buying online I am little bit Skeptical .. Do buying online guarantee guinine products . OR it is always buy locally (Safe)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Yes, since I am buying rig , is Desktop Gaming is more suitable than Laptop gaming ? AS one of my assembler told me that , Gaming laptops has more maintenance need to be done and has lot more issues. For gamming desktop is preffered . IS it true or Gaming laptop nowdays is much more better than building hefty gaming rig.

My suggested Configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO OR please suggest

Graphic card: ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 780TI 3 GB DDR5

RAM: Please suggest 8 GB

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X Cooler

Thermal paste : Shall I stick what is provided or order Artic sliver !!

PSU : Please suggest.

I am not listing Cabinet and monitor as I do have that already.

> You'll need a new monitor as 90k will be totally wasted if you run games at that resolution.

> Now the problem with what you suggest->

> Why such expensive processor, and that too an unlocked when you don;t wanna overclock? You won;t get any significant performance benefits using an i7 instead of i5. And that 'k' denotes that it's an overclockable chip and those cost ~4-5k more than their non-overclockable counterparts.

> Again, why such an expensive motherboard when you don;t want to overclock? Whoever game you these suggestions was just mentioning flashing parts.

My suggestion-

ProcessorIntel i5 4570
CPU Coolerstock
MotherboardGigabyte H87M-D3H
MemoryG.Skill RipjawsX 1600 MHz 4 GB x26,000
Graphics CardSapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4 GB
SSDnone0
Power SupplySeasonic S12II 620 W5,430
CabinetDeepcool Tesseract2,700
Internal StorageWD Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD3,600
Optical Drivenone0
MonitorDell S2240L8,400
KeyboardLogitech MK200 Keyboard & Mouse Combo750
Mouseincluded in combo0
Total80,380

You don;t need to spend 90k for just gaming. Even in this rig I'd suggest a GTX 770 for 26.5k instead of R9 290.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
Thanks for this awesome configuration .. and updating the knowledge .. I had coose i7 and ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO because I wanted to have future proofing my config ... :)

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Xeon 1230v3 - 17k

Gigabyte B85 D3H - 5.5k

GTX 780/Sapphire R9 290 Tri X - 38k/32k

AOC I2369VM - 10k

HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k

Seasonic S12II 620W - 5.5k

Corsair 300R - 4.5k

Samsung EVO 128GB 5.5k

WD Green 2TB - 5k

Locally all would come within budget.

Thanks for this awesome configuration .. and updating the knowledge .. I had coose i7 and ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO because I wanted to have future proofing my config ... :)

There is nothing like future proof in technology. An i5 and an i7 becomes outdated at the same day. BTW DDR4 is about to be available in a month or two.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
Xeon 1230v3 - 17k

Gigabyte B85 D3H - 5.5k

GTX 780/Sapphire R9 290 Tri X - 38k/32k

AOC I2369VM - 10k

HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k

Seasonic S12II 620W - 5.5k

Corsair 300R - 4.5k

Samsung EVO 128GB 5.5k

WD Green 2TB - 5k

Locally all would come within budget.

Thanks Aditya for the config...

There is nothing like future proof in technology. An i5 and an i7 becomes outdated at the same day. BTW DDR4 is about to be available in a month or two.

ya ... true .. I mean that for atleast 1 year .. so that I could play the games which releases in 2015 . Thanks for DDR4 info.. I think current motherboard do not support DDR 4 .. correct?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
DDR4 will be available only for enthusiastic level motherboards (AKA LGA 2011 types)..
itll be a long way till it is available for normal mobos

Thanks Aditya for the config...

ya ... true .. I mean that for atleast 1 year .. so that I could play the games which releases in 2015 . Thanks for DDR4 info.. I think current motherboard do not support DDR 4 .. correct?

> you'll be able to play games at max settings for ~2 years and at Full HD with some settings not at max easily for 3-4 years.

> Bith the suggestions ar fine and it really comes down to cost. Both will provide same gaming performance (if you choose R9 290 in [MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION]'s config). I personally believe you really don't HAVE to game at 1080p at all settings maxed out adn R9 290 will easily run games at that resolution with some settings at medium instead of max.

DDR4 will be available only for enthusiastic level motherboards (AKA LGA 2011 types)..
itll be a long way till it is available for normal mobos

Yeah, in 1-2 months time-line only enthusiast boardswill feature it but till the end of 2014 or beginning of 2014, DDR4 may well be available on mainstream boards as well.

OP
C

chetan.g

Journeyman
> you'll be able to play games at max settings for ~2 years and at Full HD with some settings not at max easily for 3-4 years.

> Bith the suggestions ar fine and it really comes down to cost. Both will provide same gaming performance (if you choose R9 290 in [MENTION=271931]adityak469[/MENTION]'s config). I personally believe you really don't HAVE to game at 1080p at all settings maxed out adn R9 290 will easily run games at that resolution with some settings at medium instead of max.

Yeah, in 1-2 months time-line only enthusiast boardswill feature it but till the end of 2014 or beginning of 2014, DDR4 may well be available on mainstream boards as well.

Thanks .. ill stick to the recommend configuration !!

- - - Updated - - -

@hetan.g you should use an RFC tag when you want comments w.r.t a config you have in mind.

hi .. i did nt understant RFC tag .. !!

It's just a trivial way of making posts that doesn't require the questionnaire to be filled. (optional)
RFC = request for comments, in short form
eg. [RFC] Inputs for my gaming rig 2014

ankush28

Bazinga
@hetan.g you should use an RFC tag when you want comments w.r.t a config you have in mind.

It's just a trivial way of making posts that doesn't require the questionnaire to be filled. (optional)
RFC = request for comments, in short form
eg. [RFC] Inputs for my gaming rig 2014

The problem is forum has not impemented it at all! So don't expect that unless we have dropdown while starting new thread like most forums have.(Which lets you select [TAGS])

Vbulletin>Thread prefix manager

Top Bottom