India Orders VPN Companies to Collect and Hand Over User Data

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*www.cnet.com/news/privacy/india-orders-vpn-companies-to-collect-and-hand-over-user-data/
In India, virtual private network companies will be required to collect extensive customer data -- and maintain it for five years or more -- under a new national directive from the country's Computer Emergency Response Team, known as CERT-in. It's a policy that will likely make life more difficult for both VPN companies and VPN users there.

best democracy we having here :doublethumb:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In simple terms, if you subscribe to any vpn provider claiming "no logs policy" then technically you are breaking the law though as a small relief the vpn provider you subscribed to will be the one facing any legal action.

OP
RumbaMon19

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Can't this be challenged in court as internet freedom ≈ Real life freedom. Out constitution gives real life freedom, So taking internet freedom in a way is against law.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
dafak. what if i set up AWS EC2 in another country, setup openvpn and manage my own private key. How would indian govt get access to that data ? Even amazon doesnt have access to that private key.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
dafak. what if i set up AWS EC2 in another country, setup openvpn and manage my own private key. How would indian govt get access to that data ? Even amazon doesnt have access to that private key.
They can't. Besides this only applies to VPN companies. Since you are not one so this does not apply to you, if I understand correctly.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can't. Besides this only applies to VPN companies. Since you are not one so this does not apply to you, if I understand correctly.
It basically means that any vpn provider having servers in India will have to keep logs for those servers at least or they will have to exit India by closing down their servers in India. It also means that any vpn provider based in India(thankfully no good one does) will have to keep logs for all their servers in all the countries.
@Nerevarine

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If this is true, then this would only affect those who are outside India who use servers in India. So if you are in India and use a VPN server outside of India, you should be good to go.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that is correct. Still one should wait for official clarification from major vpn providers having servers in India.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
well on public modes of transportation and goods transportation it would be ideal . on private vehicles its should be kept away as mandatory(it breaks ur privacy)
what if someone use a vehicle from a friend?, the friend would be charged of toll?
secondly the technology is tested in highly developed top of the class countries with top notch roads .
Roads shouldve been completely public funded, made and maintained.
To be frank , I dont like the idea of collecting toll at all(vehicles already pay road tax) as the govt is already collecting a hefty amount from taxes.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be frank , I dont like the idea of collecting toll at all(vehicles already pay road tax) as the govt is already collecting a hefty amount from taxes.
The thing is, less than 10% of the population actually pays tax in any meaningful way so the only way for govt is to raise revenue is by way of indirect taxes which everybody has to pay(gst, excise, toll etc). For a simple example, a millionaire farmer having zero taxable income(agriculture income is exempt from tax irrespective of the amt) driving an imported suv will still have to pay gst(on vehicle purchase), road tax & toll.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Normally anything can be monitored by govt agencies even whatsapp chats for example so don't worry about our rights being trampled because we live in such atmosphere. Don't ask about terrorists coming from abroad what about those harbored by local parties like anti social elements. No offence here. Just saying.

Just look at this for once:Pak Missile Misfire: IAF Probe Blames More Than One Official; ‘Severe Punishment’ to be Meted Out

On the very same day evening when BJP won or results were announced that it won in 4 states.
Now tell me whose responsible for this?

India Says Reviewing Policy After Misfiring of Missile Into Pakistan

Indian missile misfire prompted Pakistan for retaliatory strike

I think what led to the above action might be this. Anybody who can use any VPN or any other of software by which they received orders to such above things.

Then should we chant Hare Ram or Jai Sri Ram if Pakistan retaliated.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think what led to the above action might be this. Anybody who can use any VPN or any other of software by which they received orders to such above things.
You are completely wrong. Professional armies don't run like your typical company with employees opening emails to read & follow orders, there are multiple levels of checks.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Perhaps we should write a guide on digit forums on how to setup openvpn VPS on free servers on aws/gcp/oracle. It should get more people into setting up their own servers once indian servers of good vpn providers start dissapearing.

I can do it in weekends if there is interest.

Top Bottom