Importing Apple Airpods Pro from U.S on a Personal Account ?

augustya

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an idea about this on what can happen in such a situation ? Since my Brother stays in the U.S and he gets a good deal on an Apple Product like the Airpods Pro which is priced at 25K here in India but lets say if he is getting a deal at 17K so which is a saving of 8K so it is a tempting deal. So lets say if he ships me that product via one of the commercial shipping company like FEDEX or DHL. ON arriving here for clearing Customs do you guys think the Customs here will question and doubt the price at which it has been procured and there by revoke my declared price and charge Customs Duty according to their price ? We all know U.S is the Mecca of Electronics no other place in the world has Electronics as cheaper as in the U.S so you can get cheaper deals in the U.S it should not come as surprise to anyone !

I am ready to Pay Customs Duty here, but my question is will the Customs accept the price mentioned in the supporting document coming with the package like the invoice in the package or revoke it ?Anyone has had any experiences with this ? Anyone who has got a Apple product imported on a personal account ? Please share your experience ?

Thanks

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Unless someone is bringing electronics with them in open box, they would be subjected to customs and might even go missing. You want to take that risk given the current situation?

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
Unless someone is bringing electronics with them in open box, they would be subjected to customs and might even go missing. You want to take that risk given the current situation?

Like I said I am ready to pay customs my question is, will the Customs Official believe the price mentioned on the Bill. What if they contradict and revoke that bill syaing This cant be the true price of an that too an Apple Product thats what I am saying. I will get this delivered in the 1st or the 2nd week of June. Chances of Package missing via FEDEX or DHL are less than 1% technically speaking.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
They'll "assess" the value as per their decision. You might end up paying more than 100% of the price in customs.

Looking at your answers I feel you are telling me this based on your gut feeling. Your Opinion. I am looking for some actual experience not personal opinion.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Looking at your answers I feel you are telling me this based on your gut feeling. Your Opinion. I am looking for some actual experience not personal opinion.
I've never imported anything of high value directly except for my LG phone in 2014 which was from Ebay. Didn't have to pay anything to customs back then but they've tightened the clearance procedure now.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
I've never imported anything of high value directly except for my LG phone in 2014 which was from Ebay. Didn't have to pay anything to customs back then but they've tightened the clearance procedure now.

As I am typing all this, I am also thinking it could be an ultimate saving of only 5K in the end for me, when compared to getting it from U.S versus buying it here (I still have to pay my brother) so for 5K savings does it really makes any sense ? to go through this uncertainties and unpredictability ?? Point to think !

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Like I said I am ready to pay customs my question is, will the Customs Official believe the price mentioned on the Bill. What if they contradict and revoke that bill syaing This cant be the true price of an that too an Apple Product thats what I am saying. I will get this delivered in the 1st or the 2nd week of June. Chances of Package missing via FEDEX or DHL are less than 1% technically speaking.
It all depends upon your luck. Customs work like this all around the world. They might tell you to pay 100% tax on it or they might even ignore it. Not worth taking the risk.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Have to agree with @billubakra. It's the same throughout the world. Usually helps if you're on vacation somewhere and want to pick up some things. Otherwise it's not worth the anguish.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

I think custom duty for electronics is 30%. So even if you buy it at 17k, after duties it is 22k + shipping charges. Why not just buy it at 25k here instead of going through the hassle of importing? Or buy some other alternative which is cheaper. Government isn't a big idiot. Cheap way to get it is if someone can bring it.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
It all depends upon your luck. Customs work like this all around the world. They might tell you to pay 100% tax on it or they might even ignore it. Not worth taking the risk.

Have to agree with @billubakra. It's the same throughout the world. Usually helps if you're on vacation somewhere and want to pick up some things. Otherwise it's not worth the anguish.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

I think custom duty for electronics is 30%. So even if you buy it at 17k, after duties it is 22k + shipping charges. Why not just buy it at 25k here instead of going through the hassle of importing? Or buy some other alternative which is cheaper. Government isn't a big idiot. Cheap way to get it is if someone can bring it.

Yep ! I agree and that is what I have decided. It is not worth the Mental Trauma and Anguish for a mere saving of 5K. All in all I will save (Supposedly) 5K and any wise man would say not worth it. Here atleast you have the product in front of you. You can check it and see 100 times before you finally decide to buy it. Getting it from abroad unless it is accompanied by a Person. is shooting in the dark even if it is an Apple Product. Pay 5K more and have a lasting peace of Mind ! lol !!

Last edited:

Vishnuudayan

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an idea about this on what can happen in such a situation ? Since my Brother stays in the U.S and he gets a good deal on an Apple Product like the Airpods Pro which is priced at 25K here in India but lets say if he is getting a deal at 17K so which is a saving of 8K so it is a tempting deal. So lets say if he ships me that product via one of the commercial shipping company like FEDEX or DHL. ON arriving here for clearing Customs do you guys think the Customs here will question and doubt the price at which it has been procured and there by revoke my declared price and charge Customs Duty according to their price ? We all know U.S is the Mecca of Electronics no other place in the world has Electronics as cheaper as in the U.S so you can get cheaper deals in the U.S it should not come as surprise to anyone !

I am ready to Pay Customs Duty here, but my question is will the Customs accept the price mentioned in the supporting document coming with the package like the invoice in the package or revoke it ?Anyone has had any experiences with this ? Anyone who has got a Apple product imported on a personal account ? Please share your experience ?

Thanks
I suggest you buy the stuff here.

I recently bought first generation airPods from Singapore via an online store. It’s worth 11K + 1.5k shipping via DHL. So when it reached India at BLR, the customs raised few queries on the invoice amount. So DHL clearing agent assisted with submission of address proofs and website invoices. And the total taxes calculated is 6.3K. Which is somewhere around 50% of the consignment. So I think for US, the scene would be same.

So now you know what to do.

Attachments

• 8BFCA850-B5CC-44AB-BFC6-732B2E91612B.jpeg
    8BFCA850-B5CC-44AB-BFC6-732B2E91612B.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 181

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
So final price you paid is 11k + 1.5k + 6.5k ?

Better just buy from amazon then..
*www.amazon.in/Apple-AirPods-Wirele...623ba&pd_rd_wg=aBUzP&pd_rd_i=B07QDRYVCZ&psc=1

reminds me of an old incident - a colleague went to delhi for some official work. saw a feriwala / hawker selling bedsheets. he bargained a lot and finally bought some. after a month, he saw a regular shop selling the same thing for less than he bought.

Top Bottom