If I want to buy a laptop in the US for long term use in India, which company should I choose?

retz

Broken In
Essentially, what company provides international warranty that actually works as claimed? (Aside from many Apple.)

Okay, requirements: Normal use 99% of the time (Firefox, visual studio/eclipse/etc, office suite, maybe paint.net (with files of minimal size), statistical software (with small datasets), etc. 1% of the time, I game. I don't mind gaming at mid/low considering how little I do it. Consequently, while I would like the ability to game (740m or equivalent), I don't want to pay a large premium for it. I set a lot of value in stuff like low heat generation, decent battery life, goodish screen (ideally 1080 or 900p), island-style keyboard (preferred) and so on.

Last edited:
Go for lenovo!
I have a Y500 imported from the US, the lenovo India service centers repair anything under warranty and help resolve any issue.
They just dont cover accidental damages. Make sure you get extended depot warranty from the US. Accidental or on-site warranty wont matter much as here in India you will have to go to the service center anyhow, the engineer wont come to visit your home and fix it.

Get a laptop that suits your need and pick a one which has been launched in India.

Goto: (And check whether the desired model has Lenovo IWS applicable here in India.)
Select Your Product - Lenovo Support (US)

The Lenovo Y50 is still not there but many say that Lenovo India support says that it HAS Lenovo IWS and a machine bought from the US will be serviced here under warranty.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Best option would be Alienware 18 imo with dual GTX 880m.
Alienware 17 and ASUS G750JZ with GTX 880m are also good options.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
What is actually your requirement from laptop? If you dont care about gaming, you can get Macbook air 13 for 849$ - 100$ student discount( if u can arrange somehow) , equates to 45k. That is a steal at that price. Even if u cant arrange discount, ull be getting it at ~50k , still a great deal.

OP
R

retz

Broken In
Okay, requirements: Normal use 99% of the time (Firefox, visual studio/eclipse/etc, office suite, maybe paint.net (with files of minimal size), statistical software (with small datasets), etc. 1% of the time, I game. I don't mind gaming at mid/low considering how little I do it. Consequently, while I would like the ability to game (740m or equivalent), I don't want to pay a large premium for it. I set a lot of value in stuff like low heat generation, decent battery life, goodish screen (ideally 1080 or 900p), island-style keyboard (preferred) and so on.

Asus G750JM - seems like a very powerful laptop, but not something I need.
macBook Air (2013) - used a friends. Wonderful battery life and screen. Got slowish at peak usage. No dGPU. Not preferred.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
1. depends on the particular model in which you're interested in; provided it is* covered for warranty in india as well
2. imho it's lenovo

Top Bottom