IE probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
Hi,
after reinstalling windows 98SE,wen i am using IE,i simply cant open any sites.i hav internet via lan.so the proxy settings etc are there but still i cant open any sites.am using mozilla,in which i can open sites..can both be used simultaneously..plz let me know the solution.....

Charley

Just Do It
Internet Explorer 5
The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
CAUSE
This error message may occur if any of the following conditions is true:
• Multiple copies of the Wsock32.dll file are installed on your computer.
• An incorrect version of the Wsock32.dll file is installed on your computer.
• If you try to view a file (file://) you do not have permissions to view.
• Intermittent connection problems, low system resources, and dropped connections while attempting to load the Web page.
• Unable to resolve the DNS name, or the DNS server returned an error.
• Corrupted cookies can also cause this issue with Internet Explorer 5.
• The Internet Explorer connection settings for the dial-up connection are configured to use a proxy server.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:
Verify DNS server settings
If you are receiving a DNS error, the URL of the page that you are trying to access may not be correctly associated with its current IP address. Therefore, your browser cannot connect to the page and cannot display it. Verify your DNS server settings with your network administrator or ISP, and make sure that the DNS servers are working correctly.

Note Your firewall program may be blocking your access to the Internet. Therefore, contact your Firewall program vendor to configure the settings correctly.
Rename the additional Wsock32.dll files
1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type wsock32.dll, and then click Find Now.
3. Rename any copy of the Wsock32.dll file that is not located in the Windows\System folder. To rename a file, right-click it, type the new file name, and then press ENTER.
Replace the Wsock32.dll file
1. Restart Windows 95, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu. For Windows 98, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.
2. Rename the Wsock32.dll file in the Windows\System folder to Wsock32.old Note that this assumes you do not have a file named Wsock32.old. If you do have a file by this name, use a file name extension that is not currently in use.
3. Restart Windows 95/98 normally.
4. Extract a new copy of the Wsock32.dll file from your original Windows 95/98 CD-ROM or floppy disks into the Windows\System folder.
5. Restart your computer.
Viewing a file (file://) that you do not have permissions to view
Contact your system administrator to obtain permissions to view the appropriate file.
Connection problems, low resources, and dropped connections
If you have connection problems, or dropped connections, try again until you successfully establish a good connection. If your computer's system resources are low, close uneeded programs, or restart your computer.
Corrupted cache
If your cache is corrupted, you can delete the contents of the Cookies folder, history entries in Internet Explorer, and the Temporary Internet Files folder. However, you may lose your customizations on some Web sites. You may want to move the contents of the Cookies folder temporarily, connect to the Internet, and then move the cookies back a few at a time to determine which cookies are corrupted.

Reconfigure the proxy server settings in Internet Explorer
To reconfigure your proxy server settings:
1. In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.
2. Click the Connections tab.
3. Select the dial-up connection, and then click the Settings button.
4. Clear the Automatically detect settings and Use proxy server check boxes are not selected.
Remove the Winsock 2 update
Remove the Winsock 2 update by running the C:\Windows\Ws2bakup\Ws2bakup.bat file

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
achacko@dataone.in said:
Internet Explorer 5
The page cannot be displayed

Please post the source:
*support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q175722

krisjr said:
Hi,
after reinstalling windows 98SE,wen i am using IE,i simply cant open any sites.i hav internet via lan.so the proxy settings etc are there but still i cant open any sites.am using mozilla,in which i can open sites..can both be used simultaneously..plz let me know the solution.....

Yes, you can use Mozilla/Firefox and Internet Explorer simultaneously. In fact, you can install and use as many browsers as you want, but only one can be the default "registered" browser.

As for your IE error, its most likely that you're infected with spyware, please download HijackThis from here:

*www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Run it and save the log file and post its contents back here so we can take a look at it and find a solution.

swatkat

Technomancer
also try this...open IE and go to Tools and click "Reset Web Settings" to reset all IE options to default ones and then try to access web sites....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom