IBM launches world's fastest processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
IBM launches world's fastest processor
Power 6 chip faster, greener and cooler

IBM has unveiled what it claims is the fastest processor in the world. The Power 6 runs at 4.7GHz, and has an 8MB L2 cache and 790 million transistors built on a 65nm scale.

Big Blue is calling the Power 6 its greenest chip as it uses the same amount of energy as the Power 5, but has twice the performance.

The Power 6 is twice as powerful as the entire Deep Blue supercomputing system that beat chess champion Gary Kasparov 10 years ago, and IBM claims that it is 2.3 times faster than its nearest competitor.

"The crisis in data centre management is not about performance; it is about energy and cooling. The amount spent on hardware itself is tiny compared to power and cooling costs. It is not possible for the industry to continue in this way."

The Power 6 uses a number of technical tricks to cut power consumption and heat build up.

These include shifting low-power processor functions into separate sections of the chip, rejigging others so that they can be performed at lower power levels and building parallel processing functions onto the silicon.

READ MORE

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
rakeshishere said:
Some1 will Beat this and It will No More be The fastest :D ...and 4.7GHz is not Fast i Believe ;)

It would be either Sun or HP.

FYI, when compared to Intel and AMD, sun/HP/IBM processors give extremely high performance per watt (or performance per Hertz).

A 1GHz IBM powerPC can easily beat 2GHz Intel/AMD proccy.

From inquirer:
"The processor speed of the Power6 chip is nearly three times faster than the latest HP Itanium processor that runs HP's server line," IBM said. "Even more impressive, the processor bandwidth of the Power6 chip - 300 gigabytes per second - could download the entire iTunes catalog in about 60 seconds - 30 times faster than HP's Itanium."

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
ambandla said:
A 1GHz IBM powerPC can easily beat 2GHz Intel/AMD proccy.
well these processors are fast coz they use thir own specialized instruction set and the software they use is compiled specifically for them , which is not the case with x86 architecture coz so many desktop systems use this instruction set that it is almost impossible to completely utilize the features of one processor without breaking compatibility with the other , so the developers hv to code and compile their software with the HCF in features :)

Also price is the biggest factor which you're not considering .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This will not be commercially available for us cos they are made for high end servers. Well....sometimes I wonder whether Apple's decision to switch to Intel is good or not. :D

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Hmm... This should be posted by MAC Lovers... but anyway as there is BootCamp, me to love apple hardware now, so, the Best PC, right now Money can buy is this one,

*store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/Web...browse&mco=3FD05070&node=home/desktop/mac_pro

Comes with 8 Core Processors, 16GB RAM, x64 interface, 2gb VGA :lol:, and yes, certaily can run Vista / XP / MAC OS / Linux / SUN without with full performance :D

and as Arya said some where, its some Rs. 7 Lacks in India :lol:

Maaa... I want That Bisti :D

nvidia

-----ATi-----
gx_saurav said:
This will not be commercially available for us cos they are made for high end servers. Well....sometimes I wonder whether Apple's decision to switch to Intel is good or not. :D
:)

rakeshishere said:
Some1 will Beat this and It will No More be The fastest :D ...and 4.7GHz is not Fast i Believe ;)

It's not just the clock frequency that makes it fast, it's the die on the chip as well, and this one has an enormous 8MB! Now, that's what makes it's really fast and efficient.:D

rocket357

Security freak
It's nice, but I'd still want an UltraSPARC T1 instead (1.4 GHz...8 cores...4 threads per core...pulls the same power as a light bulb). Both are well beyond my finances, however haha.

*www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/boards/cp3060/ (This particular one runs at 1.0 GHz...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom