I5 4th gen or Ryzen?

quicky008

Technomancer
Recently my 5 yrs old asus b75 mobo died-i had been using it for all these years with an i5 3450 cpu.

I tried looking for a suitable replacement for my older board but couldn't find any-h61 mobos can still be found but they don't support many essential features like usb 3 etc.

Now the only choice that remains is to discard my older components and go for a completely new setup. But i found a seller who is offering a new 4th gen i5 cpu(i5 4460) for 8000-if i buy it and pair it with a b85 or h81 mobo(subject to availability of course) then i can get a working setup for 15-16k(as i will be able to reuse my existing ddr3 ram).

Will going for a 4th gen cpu-motherboard combo be a good idea? I use my system for gaming and watching hd content. Or should I ditch this older platform and go for something newer such as ryzen or coffee lake?

Please advise what i should do, the main reason i am pondering this is due to the fact that my budget for ram+cpu +board is limited to around 20k at the moment.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Depending on what games you want to play, both systems may end up performing the same irrespective of the GPU. Ryzen one might run cooler though.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Do entry level ryzen cpus such as ryzen 3 1300x have better ipc than 4th gen i5 processors?Here the i5 4460 has a base clock of 3.2ghz whereas the ryzen 1300x has 3.7ghz-would the increased clock frequency in the latter bring about any noticeable improvements in performance?

Also are cpus sporting 6 or more cores really necessary for gaming?if i were to spend a bit more and get a ryzen 5 1600 then would that be worthwhile?

mobo

Broken In
If you just want a stopgap then the H61 might be a good choice. There are pcie cards available for USB 3.0 and SATA 3.

Also, what GPU do you have? All these CPUs will perform the same in gaming if they are GPU limited.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a gtx 960(4 gb model)- i may upgrade it to something like a 1060 6gb in future.

I've been told that entry level ryzen cpus(ie ryzen 3) are actually poor performers and should be avoided-the person who mentioned this claimed that even 6th/7th gen i3s are better than ryzen 3 processors-is any of this actually true or that chap didn't know what he was talking about.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I have a gtx 960(4 gb model)- i may upgrade it to something like a 1060 6gb in future.

I've been told that entry level ryzen cpus(ie ryzen 3) are actually poor performers and should be avoided-the person who mentioned this claimed that even 6th/7th gen i3s are better than ryzen 3 processors-is any of this actually true or that chap didn't know what he was talking about.

There's lots of benchmarks available you just need to look it up.

*tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Pentium_Gold_G5600/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png

mobo

Broken In
The 1300x trades blows with the 7100 in older games, but sits between a 2c4t core i and 4c4t core i in newer titles.

Out of-
  • Buying a motherboard for ivy lake
  • buying a haswell CPU and motherboard
  • Buying a ryzen CPU, motherboard and DDR4 RAM
Option 2 is perhaps the least convincing.

What all features do you need that H61 doesn't offer?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Even decent h61 motherboards are a rarity these days-the ones that are available (like the gigabyte h61 m-s)are very short and have an extremely cramped layout.Full sized h61 boards are virtually non-existent right now(unless maybe one is able to procure it online).Also not all h61 boards support 3rd gen cpus out of the box-a local shop offered me an Asus h61m plus mobo but when i looked it up online,i found that my cpu ie the i5 3450 (and many other 3rd gen cpus) is not supported by it-if i had bought it without checking then i would have been in real trouble due to its incompatibility with my cpu.

Also these boards typically support 4 sata connectors-but i require atleast 5 connectors as i have 4 hdds+1 dvd rw drive.The fact that they dont support usb 3 is another deterrent-as i often transfer data from my pc to my external hdd-and without usb 3 it would be rather slow.

Would investing in a ryzen setup be better in the long run as compared to haswell?Also the 4th gen cpu that i am getting is still box packed with its seal intact-will intel offer any warranty on a discontinued older cpu like this if i can furnish a valid bill?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Recently my 5 yrs old asus b75 mobo died-i had been using it for all these years with an i5 3450 cpu.

I tried looking for a suitable replacement for my older board but couldn't find any-h61 mobos can still be found but they don't support many essential features like usb 3 etc.

Now the only choice that remains is to discard my older components and go for a completely new setup. But i found a seller who is offering a new 4th gen i5 cpu(i5 4460) for 8000-if i buy it and pair it with a b85 or h81 mobo(subject to availability of course) then i can get a working setup for 15-16k(as i will be able to reuse my existing ddr3 ram).

Will going for a 4th gen cpu-motherboard combo be a good idea? I use my system for gaming and watching hd content. Or should I ditch this older platform and go for something newer such as ryzen or coffee lake?

Please advise what i should do, the main reason i am pondering this is due to the fact that my budget for ram+cpu +board is limited to around 20k at the moment.
H61 - Computer Accessories - OLX.in

mobo

Broken In
That's a lot of SATA ports !

Ryzen probably has a better upgrade path than intel has like ever offered. But if you are considering buying into a 5 year old ecosystem, I suppose you are not one to upgrade every 1-2 year. If you can wait for DDR5(2020?) before you do a full upgrade, then haswell doesn't sound all that bad. But make sure that there is absolutely no 1155 motherboard that you can work with. The haswell CPU is an unimpressive upgrade for 8k.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
No,i am not gonna upgrade anytime soon.

Actually i was more interested in buying an i5 8400,but with the prices of 8th gen i5 cpus skyrocketing in recent times,i've had to put my plans of buying a coffeelake cpu on hold for the time-being!

Btw i have a seasonic s12ii 620 psu that's apparently not compatible with haswell's sleep state-will that lead to any stability issues if its paired with a haswell based system(or any other newer cpu for that matter that supports the aforesaid sleep states)?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are not gonna upgrade anytime soon than better stick to your original plan of building a new system,just replace i5 8400 with comparable ryzen.You will only be wasting money if you spend it on buying haswell now.

mobo

Broken In
We can't decide for OP, but not upgrading anytime soon is in fact the reason I think haswell isn't all bad - he doesn't care about upgradability. It sure is cheaper(DDR3 reuse). Assuming of course that nothing fails before the next upgrade.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
if i go for haswell i might be able to get a working system under 12-15k.however going with any ddr4 platform(Coffeelake/ryzen)would set me back by 20-22k atleast(assuming i opt for a quad core cpu and not a 6 core cpu like the ryzen 1600,which itself is worth around 14k)-i personally think if someone is upgrading to a newer generation system,one should get a cpu with 6 or more cores-cpus with lower core counts aren't worth buying as they don't offer any noticeable improvements in performance over the last gen cpus.

if i get this system,i will use it for around 2 years more(assuming it lasts that long)-by then prices of cpus will have decreased and i will be able to upgrade to a better system later on.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
By that logic you will be dissatisfied with both haswell as well as 4 core ryzen for the next 2 years(& if you don't then that simply means 4 cores is enough for your usage). Yes you will end up spending 8-9k more on ryzen setup but then what is extra 8-9k for 24 months(effectively a saving of 500 per month will cover it) not to mention you will be able to sell them at decent price considering 1 year of warranty still left(I doubt anyone would pay more than 2-3k for a haswell system 2 years from now).

Top Bottom