I think my gpu is dead ?

vedula.k95

Behind Enemy Lines
Hello Forums,
day before yesterday I was hovering over the internet when suddenly my screen went totally black and then when I tried to restart the computer all I got was a black screen ? after a lot of hit and trial I assumed that my OS has crashed,since then I have installed a fresh WIN 8.1 and everything was fine but without the graphics driver as soon as I installed the driver (amd catalyst ) in the process where the screen blinks and goes off,at that moment my screen didn't came back to life any more,its happening with every version of Catalyst software,assuming that my GPU isn't working anymore I switch back the cable to on-board graphics and everything works amazing.
Here are the info of the graphics card
Asus AMD/ATI R7 260X Direct CUII 2GB DDR5 Graphics Card
PSU-ANTEC 450W.
Nearest Metro to me- KOLKATA
Date of Purchase-DEC-2014 (date I forgot,its in Receipt)
Website (E-retailer)-MDCOMPUTERS

Someone experienced enough?Can you guide me through this situation?

Last edited:

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I had similar situations and thought GPU is dead, before throwing it away, took the GPU out, heated hard with a hair dryer and plugged in back, worked. I saw this trick at repair shop. You may give it a try, assuming that gradually they accumulate moisture and dust and this treatment gives them a new lease of life.

However, may sound childish but this first thing most mobile repair shops and electrical repair guys do.

OP
vedula.k95

vedula.k95

Behind Enemy Lines
I had similar situations and thought GPU is dead, before throwing it away, took the GPU out, heated hard with a hair dryer and plugged in back, worked. I saw this trick at repair shop. You may give it a try, assuming that gradually they accumulate moisture and dust and this treatment gives them a new lease of life.

However, may sound childish but this first thing most mobile repair shops and electrical repair guys do.

Alright,but what if I send them back to asus I think the 3 years domestic warranty still covers me as my GPU is hardly a year old? The problem is that it was installed in my home computer and I can't return back to home to check whether your trick is working or not and planning a trip to Kolkata in recent week to return the GPU to ASUS will be far easier for me because there are tons of train to Kolkata,is there anyone here who have experience with their GPU warranty exchange specifically with ASUS ?are they Reliance type or Senheiser type?:serious_NF::serious_NF:

Last edited:

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
If its in warranty then better use it, why dont' you call their CC to find out more ?

Top Bottom