i need some info about mobile bluetooth & ir

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
guys,
my doubts are quite basic for a guy using this kind of phone which has bluetooth & IR but iam not aware of it so iam raising the question.
1. Can a mobile with bluetooth be used for surfing the net on pc using gprs(i dont want to use the data cable )
2. Now if the mobile has ir capability then can it used again without data cable for internet connection.

i have locked on to sony K320i and K510i for my next purchase... any suggestions or inputs from user.

anand1

In the zone
Ya if the Mobile is having a Bluetooth than you can configure your mobile with ur PC and can surf net by using GPRS connection. But for this ur Laptop must have a Bluetooth device in it or your desktop must have a Bluetooth device so as to connect both Mobile as well as ur PC via Bluetooth mode

I have never heard or connected net through IR connection so sorry can't help..

Last edited:
A

almighty

1. Can a mobile with bluetooth be used for surfing the net on pc using gprs(i dont want to use the data cable )

Yes, u can surf via bluetooth

2. Now if the mobile has ir capability then can it used again without data cable for internet connection.

Of course Yes. But the data transfer is slower than bluetooth
Main problem with IR net connection is u cant use cell or move ur cell while its connected via IR
or ur connection lost...

Best would be data cable if not go for bluetooth for mobility during surfing

Fighter

Broken In

Ans:) yes it can be used to access net via gprs but it would be slow, then again if you are trying to access net using bluetooth through your pc then your pc must have a bluetooth dongle plugged in and also your mobile's bluetooth switched on.

Ans:) ir is generally know for its slow speed and also it only works in the line of sight that means your mobile and the infrared dongle which would be plugged into your pc should be in a straight line and also visible to each other.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
ok ... that resolves my doubt about the wireless connectivity.
@fighter
Ans yes it can be used to access net via gprs but it would be slow, then again if you are trying to access net using bluetooth through your pc then your pc must have a bluetooth dongle plugged in and also your mobile's bluetooth switched on.

My doubt is , if the gprs is providing me the connection at 115 Kb/s then isnt that much lesser than the bluetooth transfer speed which is much more than 115 Kb/s. This means that though bluetooth connectivity is less but it should not make a differece for net connectivity through gprs

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
see as far as wireless connectivity is connected nd internet is connected .... the simples example about speeds that i can give u is that u will get speeds comparable to dial-up or slightly better ;)

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
what iam interested is should i purchase a data cable or only the bluetooth will do the job. see if the difference in speed is considerable in the two cases then i think i will be prudent to go for data cable..... what do u suggest?

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
bluetooth for internet connection sucks.. you can better get a data cable.. you wont regret.

IR in mobile has very less power and it should be kept in straight line and very near for even transferring small files. so dont even think of a net connection, its not possible.

A

almighty

hansraj said:
what iam interested is should i purchase a data cable or only the bluetooth will do the job. see if the difference in speed is considerable in the two cases then i think i will be prudent to go for data cable..... what do u suggest?

Data cable is more reliable for surfing than bluetooth... ya i wont make much differnce in net speed... but still data cable gives u stable and good speed in comparison of bluetooth...

I used bluetooth with 6600 for 2 yrs for surfing nd dont found problem (at least for me) but now am surfing from data cable and i am getting better speed with stablity....

115.2 kbps is bluetooth ideal transfer speed between pc and cell , its not net speed.

and data cable gives u 460.8 kbps but again its only transfer speed between pc and cell....

data cable works well when ur local network and cell have EDGE support, in this case bluetooth downs ur net speed coz the speed which ur cell is getting from server is "NOT" fully transfered coz of low transfer speed between pc and cell...

but with data cable the cell transfer all the data at same speed which it get from server coz of its transfer speed between cell and pc

hope everything is clear now.... :D

Kiran_tech_mania said:
If you are using GPRS for internet, go for Bluetooth. You will get same speed using data cable too.

No mate its far different, if the cell and network support EDGE then bluetooth is not capable of transfering that much of data at same time with speed

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
ok friends i have finally bought sony erricson K510i which came with the data cable(it has bluetooth too) . Now let me see how much is the difference.... but the cost was pretty ok.. only 4275! i dont think any other phone has so many features as this one has.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
almighty said:
Data cable is more reliable for surfing than bluetooth... ya i wont make much differnce in net speed... but still data cable gives u stable and good speed in comparison of bluetooth...

I used bluetooth with 6600 for 2 yrs for surfing nd dont found problem (at least for me) but now am surfing from data cable and i am getting better speed with stablity....

115.2 kbps is bluetooth ideal transfer speed between pc and cell , its not net speed.

and data cable gives u 460.8 kbps but again its only transfer speed between pc and cell....

data cable works well when ur local network and cell have EDGE support, in this case bluetooth downs ur net speed coz the speed which ur cell is getting from server is "NOT" fully transfered coz of low transfer speed between pc and cell...

but with data cable the cell transfer all the data at same speed which it get from server coz of its transfer speed between cell and pc

hope everything is clear now.... :D

No mate its far different, if the cell and network support EDGE then bluetooth is not capable of transfering that much of data at same time with speed

You have a misconception that bluetooth port speed is max 115.2Kbps. That's not the max. It differs a per configuration.
1. Right-click the connection,
2. Go to General tab,
3. Select "Connect using" as Blueooth modem
4. Click "Configure"
5. The drop down list will give the various speeds of bluetooth available for that device.

See the pic of my bluetooth modem settings....
View attachment 1212

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
but i found this setting on my pc... maximum it shows is 115 kbps.. i am attaching the snapshot

A

almighty

Kiran which os and bluetooth u r using now ;)
coz i never seen more than 115.2 kbps on xp and vista...
u must be on some other OS :D

sourav

In the zone
is their anyway of doing net from mobile through pc.
u understood

i mean my pc is connected to net, i want my mobile to be connected to net but it should be through pc

my mobile is nokia 6681 (have wire and also blutooth dongle with me)
razr v3i (have wire and bluetooth dongle with me)
nokia 6020 (have ir and wire)

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
almighty said:
Kiran which os and bluetooth u r using now ;)
coz i never seen more than 115.2 kbps on xp and vista...
u must be on some other OS :D

Lol! I am using Windows XP OEM version. The laptop is equipped with HP integrated module - Bluetooth 2.0, hence high speed transfers and distance coverage. :)

sulognon

Right off the assembly line

can you please help me with this. i cant connect thru a bluetooth.. i dont know why? can u help me? did u install any program? the computer cant find my cell even if i've already turned on my bluetooth. please help... tnx

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
sulognon said:

can you please help me with this. i cant connect thru a bluetooth.. i dont know why? can u help me? did u install any program? the computer cant find my cell even if i've already turned on my bluetooth. please help... tnx

Download and install latest Nokia PC suite from Nokia website. Also reinstall Bluetooth software in your PC and pair the mobile again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom