HP Pavilion GTX 1650 can't play games.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Hello,

My friend recently brought a HP Pavilion (specs below), I'm posting on his behalf as he doesn't use forums and all. Any game he tries to play lags a lot, even GTA 5 at low and 720p in windowed mode lags. Valorant works fine for him. I figured it'd be because the laptop isn't using the GTX 1650 but he says he has tried all the things listed online but to no avail. Also he mentions that his bios is somewhat different than what's in the online articles about this forum. Any advise please? He wasn't expecting to play a lot of games on this but GTA 5 also not working is something else right.

Specs Below -

Ryzen 5 3550H
GTX 1650
8GB RAM
1TB HDD

Model Number 15-ec0100AX

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Ask him to install msi afterburner and monitor GPU usage. And in nvidia control panel, he needs to set 1650 as preferred GPU for each game.

That's definitely powerful enough for GTA V & like almost all games out there.

Try these:
- Play in fullscreen mode in GTA to begin with
- Open Task Manager > Performance tab > check GPU 0 & 1 usage while gaming ( GPU 0 should be Integrated Vega one & GPU 1 is 1650). Also check HDD usage, maybe it's lagging because HDD usage is at 100%. If HDD usage is 100%, just get SSD & move OS to it. Win10 isn't exactly that smooth in HDD these days IMO.
- Update Nvidia drivers
- Check if laptop is running in AC power, battery mode throttles CPU & GPU
- Check in some HP software (Command Centre?) if the laptop is in silent mode, which in many cases throttles CPU & GPU to control heat. Keep it in balanced or performance.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Ask him to disable the IGPU using device manager. Doom Eternal doesn't work on my cousin's laptop with IGPU on some reason. So this is the work around.

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
That's definitely powerful enough for GTA V & like almost all games out there.

Try these:
- Play in fullscreen mode in GTA to begin with
- Open Task Manager > Performance tab > check GPU 0 & 1 usage while gaming ( GPU 0 should be Integrated Vega one & GPU 1 is 1650). Also check HDD usage, maybe it's lagging because HDD usage is at 100%. If HDD usage is 100%, just get SSD & move OS to it. Win10 isn't exactly that smooth in HDD these days IMO.
- Update Nvidia drivers
- Check if laptop is running in AC power, battery mode throttles CPU & GPU
- Check in some HP software (Command Centre?) if the laptop is in silent mode, which in many cases throttles CPU & GPU to control heat. Keep it in balanced or performance.

GPU 0 is GTX 1650 and GPU 1 is Vega Graphics for him, in device manager it shows that GPU 1 is being used ~2% and GPU 0 is idle at 0%.
Also, he has 8GB RAM but in task manager it shows only 5.9GB available, of which 5GGB is used. HDD usage is around 25%.

He has set the preferred GPU to1650 in nVidia Control Panel but still games run on Vega Graphics.

He tried disabling the iGPU, which resulted in display loss.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
GPU 0 is GTX 1650 and GPU 1 is Vega Graphics for him, in device manager it shows that GPU 1 is being used ~2% and GPU 0 is idle at 0%.
Also, he has 8GB RAM but in task manager it shows only 5.9GB available, of which 5GGB is used. HDD usage is around 25%.

He has set the preferred GPU to1650 in nVidia Control Panel but still games run on Vega Graphics.

He tried disabling the iGPU, which resulted in display loss.
The nvidia drivers isn't installed properly i guess. When I disabled the IGPU in my cousin's laptop, there was no display loss. He too has a AMD processor with Vega IGPU and a Nvidia 1050 dGPU.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
EDIT: Just realized that other have mentioned the same. When I first got the laptop I had the same issues. But setting the prefered gpu did the trick.

Laptop display is always connected to the iGPU. When gaming the nvidia gpu passes the signal through the iGPU.

This is my HP Omen nvidia setting page.
1611567302967.png

Goto this page and for a game select which gpu to use.
1611567459634.png

you can also use the global settings to always use the nVidia gpu, but the will consume more power even when not gaming.
1611567633378.png

also if he is running on battery then he might see that the fps is locked to 30. this is due to a setting in the nVidia control panel, I cannot recall the name of this setting.

Last edited:
OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
EDIT: Just realized that other have mentioned the same. When I first got the laptop I had the same issues. But setting the prefered gpu did the trick.

Laptop display is always connected to the iGPU. When gaming the nvidia gpu passes the signal through the iGPU.

View attachment 19929
View attachment 19931
you can also use the global settings to always use the nVidia gpu, but the will consume more power even when not gaming.
View attachment 19932

also if he is running on battery then he might see that the fps is locked to 30. this is due to a setting in the nVidia control panel, I cannot recall the name of this setting.
Thanks for the reply, his setting are the same as you have shown, I've attached the pictures of the same.
PhysX is set to 1650 and Global preferred graphics processor is set to High Performance NVIDIA processor.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks for the reply, his setting are the same as you have shown, I've attached the pictures of the same.
PhysX is set to 1650 and Global preferred graphics processor is set to High Performance NVIDIA processor.
check program settings tab, select a game and set the preferred processor.

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku

View attachment 19929
View attachment 19931
View attachment 19932

Could you please check if your bios has an option to switch the GPU? He said he saw in an article somewhere that it's there but sadly it's not available in his bios

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Could you please check if your bios has an option to switch the GPU? He said he saw in an article somewhere that it's there but sadly it's not available in his bios
No, the bios is very restricted

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Done. No changes. Any help?
I am not sure about it anymore as the above comments are the common steps/solutions for this problem.
Ask him to do complete shutdown and check.(not just restart)
He can also try a power cycle,, but i'm not sure if it would matter( i.e., shutdown the laptop, disconnect all devices and power, hold power button for 15 seconds and then power on).

Also check Radeon Settings Lite app which should be installed by default.
Also check if any HP gaming related software is installed, mine comes with Omen Gaming Hub, it allows you to switch profiles. This is also available in Microsoft Store for download.

1611598870944.png

Top Bottom