how to use sata hdd specifically power related

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a system with Intel i3 10th gen processor and Asus H510 me motherboard. I have installed windows 11 and Arch Linux and they are running fine.

I have one SSD nvme m.2 and three internal segate sata hdds. I am using Corsair cv 450 watts psu.

Most of the time I use only nvme SSD and at some time I use internal hdds for backup and restore. Here the issue is if I connect all the time sata power supply and sata data cables the life time of the internal hard discs may be reduced. In order to prevent this I can connect both power supply and sata data cables to the internal hard disc which I want to use.

Some senior hardware technician suggested that connecting and removing again and again power supply to sata internal hard disc can damage the sata power supply connector. So he suggested that connect all power supplies to all internal hard discs and just remove sata data cables and only connect them when you need.

If I connect power supply to a sata hdd and remove data cable can I think that all the internal parts of sata hdd are still running as usual when both power and data cables are connected.

I hope you have understood what I asked and not try to read this post again and still is there any doubt ask me.

Kindly suggest whether I can connect always power supplies to sata internal hard discs without connecting data cables. This should not decrease the life time of sata hdd.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Ok I will not mention I am from India.

If I don't unplug and touch the surface of sata internal hard disc I am able to sence some vibration and so I think some work is going on in it which may reduce the life span of sata internal hard disc.

If I am wrong please say I want to clarify my doubt.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
If the hard discs are always spinning even when I don't use I think it's better to disconnect cables.

I think best solution is connect power supply and disconnect data cable.

Is there any chance of failure of power supply connector if I frequently remove and connect power supply. I just want to confirm.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Some one of you suggested that windows will automatically turn off the hard disc which is not used and for that my answer is

Recently I have seen a number of times the following scenario in windows 11 for both sata hdd and external hard disc.

1) I have turned on my pc.
2) I have connected segate external hard disc to pc.
3) I have opened task manager and opened resources window in which I can see clearly which hard disc is being used highest including percentage. The same is for cpu and GPU and network interface.
3) I have opened Firefox browser and done something while examining task manager resources window.
4) I continuously examined task manager for 15 minutes without doing anything.
5) For first 10 minutes the usage of external hard disc was 5 to 8 percent. Exactly after 11 th minute the usage of external hard disc was 90 percentage.
6) I have tried to see which process is running and which takes higher disc resources. I have clicked the mouse and unfortunately the disc usage has been reduced to 7 percent.
7) I have disabled the services like windows search, indexing etc., and even no use.

The same happened for internal hard disc also and so from this I can say that windows performs something secretly like virus scan, optimization etc.,.

All of these can reduce the life span of hard disc being used.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi is there any utility or application in windows 11 which shows the utilisation and power consumption taken by each component like cpu, hard disc, memory etc.,.

Is there any similar app for Linux.

By using it I can check the usage and power consumption of sata internal hard disc which has power supply connected and data cable has been disconnected.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
My opinion –
An HDD may last 6 – 7 years in constant run without ever being powered down and on the other hand a brand-new HDD may fail in just a day. It’s unreliable. Instead of trying such hacks of disconnecting and reconnecting data cables again and again, just invest in backups. So that if the first drive fails you can get back everything from backup. If this your backup drive, convert it to external HDD thru suitable good quality powered casings and plug in only when you want it to.

Alternatively explore options like turning it off thru Windows Advanced Power Options after n minutes of inactivity.

Top Bottom